Quick SSD Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSmith9201

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012
Hi,

I have a Samsung NP550P7C which i was hoping to add an SSD to, as I discovered when it arrived it had space for an additional drive. I just wanted to make sure I would be able to install a Samsung 830 128GB in this laptop? I'm not too sure about form factors and connections etc, so thougth I would check with people who would know!

Thanks in advance

JSmith.

Have the Samsung RF711-S01 ( i5-2410M) laptop.
Have two SSDs installed, a 128 gig M4 for OS + Programs and in the 2nd drive bay I have a 256 Gig M4 for storage.

You should have NO problem. Recommend you open the HDD bay covers and Look.
.. Make sure one bay is not for a Micro SSD (1.8"). Mine uses 2 x 2.5" drives.
.. Most laptops use a edge connector on the MB, However My Samsung uses a Very short adaptor Cable to connect to the SSD (End that plugs into the SSD is standard SATA Data/pwr connection). If yours uses this method then you should have received the Little cable adaptor for the 2nd bay (mine did).

For Installing windows, make sure you disconnect the HDD and only install windows with the SSD connected.
One short Fall on Mine was the there was No Shortcut key to the Boot menu during the Post. IE On my desktop systems I can hit F12 during post and bring up a boot menu (F11 on my Asrock MB).

Added.
My preference on SSDs: Samsung 830 for a desktop, But for Laptops prefer the Curcial M4 (or Plextor M3). Perforace wise on a day-to-day real life usage their is VERY little difference, But the M4 (and plextor) have lower read/write power consumption (about 1 Watt).

JSmith9201

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012
Thanks for the help, I have the cables and stuff you mentioned so I'm guessing its a standard Samsung thing. I feel fairly confident software wise but thanks for the tips, i'm sure they will be useful.

On your addition, I think I'll stick with the 830, the latest Tom's guide for value shows that to be the best model in my price range, and the power consumption is 0.15w when active, which impressed me as its less than pretty much everything (although from memory I think the M4 was about 0.12w or so, so a little better).

Thanks again for the help, much appreciated

JSmith.

Not sure where the "active" power consumption came from and ??? is active.

Here is a recent review (forget the SSD model) but for comparision it does list the M4/Samsung 830/and Plextor pro.

In this order Plextor/M4/830
Idle 0.35/0.66/0.38 @ idle 0.28 watts diff between m4 and 830 - winner 830
Random reads 2.34/3.32/5.18 Note the Much higher wattage for the 830 almost 2 Watts Higher
Random reads I believe are close, but lower than writes and about 1.5 Watts lower for m4.
Ref: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6058/corsair-neutron-gtx-ssd-256gb-review/8
Might think, but I'm at idle a lot - It is this time that SSDs do their CG and wear leveling.

Only significant when on battery, So if Most time is using the AC Adaptor pwr consumption outside of the extra heat is NOT a factor.

Anantech has in the past always recommended the 830 for desktop and M4 for Laptop.

Aknight_73

Honorable
Sep 15, 2012
I added in an SSD to my sammy NP550p7c yesterday only to find to my dismay that i do not the little cable inside!! APPARENTLY it was shipped in the box but im damned if i can remember seeing it let alone find it! The ssd drive will be awesome when its installed but.... does anyone have a picture or a model number for the cable?? Im in Laos and buying it here will be nigh on impossible but maybe i could order one if i knew what it was. Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.