Help please

I have just recently hooked up my computer which has Windows XP on it and I
was trying to load an ISP on it....and I'm running into problems. I keep
getting a message that says:

there is no RAS installation on your system. Install Microsoft RAS and
restart

I had no problem with connecting to the internet when I lived
elsewhere...and now I don't know what to do. I'm hoping that I can download
something from the internet to fix this....since my computer CD's are
somewhere in a box in storage.

Any help would be appreciated greatly! I am NOT a computer whiz....and so
if it can be put in laymans terms that would be even better! Thanks!

Cindy
3 answers Last reply
More about help please

    My first suggestion is to buy a new modem for if yours uses RAS, and that
    will give you less than 40k speed. You can get a 56k modem from eBay or
    TigerDirect for under $20.
    What is Remote Access Service? - A Word Definition From the Webopedia Computer
    http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/R/Remote_Access_Service.html
    --
    Today is the first day of the rest of
    your life.

    "melsmommy" wrote:

    > I have just recently hooked up my computer which has Windows XP on it and I
    > was trying to load an ISP on it....and I'm running into problems. I keep
    > getting a message that says:
    >
    > there is no RAS installation on your system. Install Microsoft RAS and
    > restart
    >
    > I had no problem with connecting to the internet when I lived
    > elsewhere...and now I don't know what to do. I'm hoping that I can download
    > something from the internet to fix this....since my computer CD's are
    > somewhere in a box in storage.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated greatly! I am NOT a computer whiz....and so
    > if it can be put in laymans terms that would be even better! Thanks!
    >
    > Cindy

    Not sure this applies, but it is a start. Hopefully you can access the web
    on another PC.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330163/

    --
    Michael

    "melsmommy" <melsmommy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have just recently hooked up my computer which has Windows XP on it and I
    > was trying to load an ISP on it....and I'm running into problems. I keep
    > getting a message that says:
    >
    > there is no RAS installation on your system. Install Microsoft RAS and
    > restart
    >
    > I had no problem with connecting to the internet when I lived
    > elsewhere...and now I don't know what to do. I'm hoping that I can
    > download
    > something from the internet to fix this....since my computer CD's are
    > somewhere in a box in storage.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated greatly! I am NOT a computer whiz....and so
    > if it can be put in laymans terms that would be even better! Thanks!
    >
    > Cindy

    Any chance your ISP software is *not* for Windows XP - but for Windows 9x?

    --
    Michael

    "melsmommy" <melsmommy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have just recently hooked up my computer which has Windows XP on it and I
    > was trying to load an ISP on it....and I'm running into problems. I keep
    > getting a message that says:
    >
    > there is no RAS installation on your system. Install Microsoft RAS and
    > restart
    >
    > I had no problem with connecting to the internet when I lived
    > elsewhere...and now I don't know what to do. I'm hoping that I can
    > download
    > something from the internet to fix this....since my computer CD's are
    > somewhere in a box in storage.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated greatly! I am NOT a computer whiz....and so
    > if it can be put in laymans terms that would be even better! Thanks!
    >
    > Cindy

Internet Service Providers Computers Microsoft Windows XP