Rogers bought us

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
September 20, 2004 10:34:31 AM

In case you haven't heard, looks like Fido is agreeing to it:

<http://www.cbc.ca/story/business/national/2004/09/20/ro...;

I certainly hope City|Fido stays in tact, as does Fido's current voice
mail with instant reply. I have Roger's vm system. I'm guessing if
this gets finalized this year, not a lot will change in the first half
of 2005, but then, who knows? :(

Maybe Rogers will change over some of their system's to Fido's plans
and vm, which would be good for us and them.

..:. tony

More about : rogers bought

Anonymous
September 20, 2004 3:19:37 PM

It's about time. Finally Fido users will get decent coverage.

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 06:34:31 -0700, tony wrote:

> In case you haven't heard, looks like Fido is agreeing to it:
>
> <http://www.cbc.ca/story/business/national/2004/09/20/ro...;
>
> I certainly hope City|Fido stays in tact, as does Fido's current voice
> mail with instant reply. I have Roger's vm system. I'm guessing if this
> gets finalized this year, not a lot will change in the first half of 2005,
> but then, who knows? :(
>
> Maybe Rogers will change over some of their system's to Fido's plans and
> vm, which would be good for us and them.
>
> .:. tony
Anonymous
September 20, 2004 3:33:29 PM

repatch <repatch42@yahoo.com> wrote in
news:p an.2004.09.20.15.19.35.800449@yahoo.com:

> It's about time. Finally Fido users will get decent coverage.

and new minimum service contracts to sign, terrible customer support, and
higher monthly prices!
September 20, 2004 5:54:08 PM

Go Go Gadget tony <tfortony@yahoo.com>:
> In case you haven't heard, looks like Fido is agreeing to it:

> <http://www.cbc.ca/story/business/national/2004/09/20/ro...;

Argh. And I just bought a new phone! (Unlocked Nokia 5140, very nice)

I'd stick with a Telus-owned Fido, but probably jump ship because of
Rogers. Too bad, too -- Telus would have brought fresh capital to the
GSM market in Canada, and all Rogers is going to do is milk Fido's base
and brand.

--
Rob.Russell@Canada.Com, Unicorn of Usenet & Bastard of Bandwidth
"If my son wants to be a pimp when he grows up, that's fine with me. I

On 20 Sep 2004 13:54:08 GMT, Rob Russell <colonel@engsoc.org> wrote:

>Telus would have brought fresh capital to the
>GSM market in Canada, and all Rogers is going to do is milk Fido's base
>and brand.

And what makes you think that Telus would not disassemble Fido's GSM
network and put all Fido's customers on their CDMA network? It's not
as if that's never happened before.

September 20, 2004 6:17:00 PM

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 11:33:29 -0500, Good Man wrote:

> repatch <repatch42@yahoo.com> wrote in
> news:p an.2004.09.20.15.19.35.800449@yahoo.com:
>
>> It's about time. Finally Fido users will get decent coverage.
>
> and new minimum service contracts to sign, terrible customer support, and
> higher monthly prices!

Odd, considering my move to Rogers actually resulted in my spending LESS
per month then I did with Fido, fancy that...
Anonymous
September 20, 2004 6:55:32 PM

Rob Russell <colonel@engsoc.org> wrote in alt.cellular.fido:

> I'd stick with a Telus-owned Fido, but probably jump ship because of
> Rogers. Too bad, too -- Telus would have brought fresh capital to the
> GSM market in Canada, and all Rogers is going to do is milk Fido's
> base and brand.

I'm considering going back to alphanumeric pager and payphone again.
Cheaper. Guess we'll see what the outcome of the offer is.

--
Mason Storm

---------------
Remove "dogface" to reply in email.
---------------
Think your pop-up blocker works?? Try this:
http://ciudad.latinol.com//boinks/booters.html
---------------
Unlimited local calling anywhere in Canada $70/month.
http://www.fido.ca/portal/en/packages/monthly.shtml#unl...
---------------
Anonymous
September 20, 2004 6:55:33 PM

"Mason Storm" <mydogfacenippy@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> Rob Russell <colonel@engsoc.org> wrote in alt.cellular.fido:
>
> > I'd stick with a Telus-owned Fido, but probably jump ship because of
> > Rogers. Too bad, too -- Telus would have brought fresh capital to the
> > GSM market in Canada, and all Rogers is going to do is milk Fido's
> > base and brand.
>
> I'm considering going back to alphanumeric pager and payphone again.
> Cheaper. Guess we'll see what the outcome of the offer is.

Find a way to get a Rogers corporate plan. Rogers is about to have urban
coverage as good as Fido's (and theoretically better because it can overlay
Fido's towers with GSM 850), rural coverage that blows Fido away, and if you
can get a corporate plan you can get rates that are similar to or better
than a lot of Fido's plans.

I'm hoping Rogers decides to keep Fido's low long distance rate and billing
by the second - it could do some serious damage to Telus, Bell, Aliant,
SaskTel, MTS, etc. if it did.

Jim
Anonymous
September 20, 2004 8:40:54 PM

Joseph <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com> wrote in alt.cellular.fido:

> And what makes you think that Telus would not disassemble Fido's GSM
> network and put all Fido's customers on their CDMA network? It's not
> as if that's never happened before.

Any of the current cellular operators would eventually kill Fido if they
aquired it. They only want to gain control of it because right now Fido
is killing the market for these other loosers with their great rate
plans. Look what happened to Clearnet when Smelus bought it! Wish we had
competition like in the USA. They have great plans too.

--
Mason Storm

---------------
Remove "dogface" to reply in email.
---------------
Think your pop-up blocker works?? Try this:
http://ciudad.latinol.com//boinks/booters.html
---------------
Unlimited local calling anywhere in Canada $70/month.
http://www.fido.ca/portal/en/packages/monthly.shtml#unl...
---------------
Anonymous
September 20, 2004 8:44:40 PM

> > I have no Fido signal issues. When I swap my friend's Rogers sim-card
> > into my unlocked phone, I giggle at the ridiculous quality and drop
> > offs.

The poster probably has a 1900 MHz phone. Rogers isn't that great on a
1900-only phone, but it's extremely good on an 850/1900 phone. Since Fido
has no spectrum at 850, it *has* to be good at 1900 only.

Jim
Anonymous
September 20, 2004 10:43:10 PM

"repatch" <repatch42@yahoo.com> a écrit dans le message de
news:p an.2004.09.20.15.19.35.800449@yahoo.com...
> It's about time. Finally Fido users will get decent coverage.

The coverage of fido is enough for my need. If I want better coverage (and
higher prices) I wold go with Bell/telus. They go where rogers didn't like
up from Rimouski, quebec. I don't see any advantage for Rogers. The
custumer service is awful with syntetic voice and acadians CSR impossible to
understand. The network acts bizarre with calls that not go though (I have
a Rogers SIM and tried it with a lot of phones and 850/1900 too and I prefer
Fido). But at least, if Fido is to be bought it's better to be Rogers than
Telus (with their CDMA-robotic-voice-american-only-go-direct-voicemail
system!)
Anonymous
September 20, 2004 10:43:11 PM

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 18:43:10 +0000, Blandine wrote:

> "repatch" <repatch42@yahoo.com> a écrit dans le message de
> news:p an.2004.09.20.15.19.35.800449@yahoo.com...
>> It's about time. Finally Fido users will get decent coverage.
>>

> The coverage of fido is enough for my need.

I thought the same, until I moved into a building in the GTA with ZERO
Fido coverage, yet Rogers coverage. For me that was the final straw.

> If I want better coverage
> (and higher prices) I wold go with Bell/telus.

I don't know. My parents have a Bell phone and while they do have signal
in most places I do, it's FAR harder for them to get a call through. That
and it's analog in many places with Bell, with Rogers their GSM850
coverage is as good as their analog in almost every place I've tried, and
I'd much prefer GSM over AMPs no matter where I am.

> They go where rogers
> didn't like up from Rimouski, quebec.

Yes, that is one area I lost coverage, along with New Richmond and
Gaspesie area, but hey, when you're in such beautiful scenery you don't
really need a cell phone!

> I don't see any advantage for
> Rogers.

For me the number one advatange is GSM. I HATE the codecs Bell and Telus
use. They sound so horrible to my ears I actually pray for a Bell or
Telus phone to switch to analog. I just can't stand it. That and the SIM
card, an amazing feature. Just the thought of having to get permission
from my cell provider to change phones is laughable in my mind.

> The custumer service is awful with syntetic voice and acadians
> CSR impossible to understand.

In my experience no worse then Fido. I know that isn't much of an excuse,
but hey there it is.

> The network acts bizarre with calls that
> not go though (I have a Rogers SIM and tried it with a lot of phones and
> 850/1900 too and I prefer Fido).

What do you mean by "strange"? I've actually encountered less problems
with calls going through then I ever did with Fido.

> But at least, if Fido is to be bought
> it's better to be Rogers than Telus (with their
> CDMA-robotic-voice-american-only-go-direct-voicemail system!)

Agreed. TTYL
Anonymous
September 21, 2004 12:31:28 AM

Jim MacKenzie wrote:
> I'm hoping Rogers decides to keep Fido's low long distance rate and billing
> by the second - it could do some serious damage to Telus, Bell, Aliant,
> SaskTel, MTS, etc. if it did.

If Rogers chose not to have per-second billing, it is because it felt it had
no competitive need to do so, and buying Fido will even further reduce this
small need.

Roger's purchase of Fido will end up the same as Telus' purchase of Clearnet,
if it is allowed to go though: Fido's brand will disapear, Rogers may
integrate some of the former marketing )for instance the dog theme) into its
own ads, but Fido rates will no longter be offered to new customers and little
by little, Rogers will stop grandfathering existing ex-Fido customers' rates.

If this is allowed to go through, within 1.5 years, expect to start getting
nice letters giving you some sweet deal to move to a Rogers plan with the
first couple months at reduced reate, and following months at the good old
expensive Rogers prices.
Anonymous
September 21, 2004 1:23:54 AM

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 16:44:40 -0600, Jim MacKenzie wrote:

>> > I have no Fido signal issues. When I swap my friend's Rogers sim-card
>> > into my unlocked phone, I giggle at the ridiculous quality and drop
>> > offs.
>
> The poster probably has a 1900 MHz phone. Rogers isn't that great on a
> 1900-only phone, but it's extremely good on an 850/1900 phone. Since Fido
> has no spectrum at 850, it *has* to be good at 1900 only.

Hmm, never thought of that, you're of course absolutely correct, without
850 coverage Rogers network doesn't look to great outside of major urban
centers. TTYL
September 21, 2004 3:50:36 AM

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 11:19:37 -0400, repatch <repatch42@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>It's about time. Finally Fido users will get decent coverage.

And dropped calls, and higher prices, and by the way repatch
your just a dick and a troll.

>On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 06:34:31 -0700, tony wrote:
>
>> In case you haven't heard, looks like Fido is agreeing to it:
>>
>> <http://www.cbc.ca/story/business/national/2004/09/20/ro...;
>>
>> I certainly hope City|Fido stays in tact, as does Fido's current voice
>> mail with instant reply. I have Roger's vm system. I'm guessing if this
>> gets finalized this year, not a lot will change in the first half of 2005,
>> but then, who knows? :(
>>
>> Maybe Rogers will change over some of their system's to Fido's plans and
>> vm, which would be good for us and them.
>>
>> .:. tony
Anonymous
September 21, 2004 3:50:37 AM

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 23:50:36 +0000, yoyo wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 11:19:37 -0400, repatch <repatch42@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>It's about time. Finally Fido users will get decent coverage.
>
> And dropped calls,

Haven't had any more dropped calls with Rogers then I did with Fido,
except of course during the big blackout last year (when I had Fido), but
I don't count that...

I did have one night where I kept getting crossed lines on Rogers, very
weird, every call I tried to make ended up being connected to another call
in progress, very weird. The effect disappeared after I switched towers.

> and higher prices,

That depends on your usage and features you want. For me Rogers actually
turned out to be cheaper by a very small amount.

> and by the way repatch your just a
> dick and a troll.

Oh, that hurt, I think I'm going to go cry now...

Listen, if you're not
capable of having a debate like an adult then maybe you should hang out
with people your own mental age. Elementary school "name calling" is
laughable during elementary, imagine what it is in your later years...
Anonymous
September 21, 2004 4:31:07 AM

repatch wrote:
> Hmm, never thought of that, you're of course absolutely correct, without
> 850 coverage Rogers network doesn't look to great outside of major urban
> centers. TTYL

Nobody has a decent 1900 network outside urban areas. 1900 happened well after
Cantel and Mobility had built up their 850 analogue networks. They weren't
going to expand 1900 to all of their existing 850 covered areas since they
chose their phones to be dual frequency so there was no gain to put additional
capacity in rural areas. And they started with beeper networks in the 1980s
and analogue phones in early 1990s so had plenty of time to roll out coverage.

Fido and Clearnet started from scratch with only 1900 in the late 1990s, and
had a mandate from government to cover X% of population, so their priority was
to roll out cities due to that government requirement.
Anonymous
September 21, 2004 4:38:16 AM

It will be to Rogers's advantage to keep the CityFido product (with perhaps
just rebranding).

Think about it:

Rogers has no landline telephony. So by keeping CityFido, it can hurth both
Bell and Telus without hurting its other businesses.

And consider that with a recent decision by the government to lift certain
bandwidth restrictions imposed on the legacy carriers (Bell/Telus/Rogers), if
Rogers is able to use all of the bandwidth from Fido, it may be able to do
interesting things.

If Roger's standards are lower, it will also be able to fit more customers
than Fido would have in the same bandwidth.
Anonymous
September 21, 2004 8:07:48 AM

JF Mezei <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote in alt.cellular.fido:

> If Rogers chose not to have per-second billing, it is because it felt
> it had no competitive need to do so, and buying Fido will even further
> reduce this small need.
>
> Roger's purchase of Fido will end up the same as Telus' purchase of
> Clearnet, if it is allowed to go though: Fido's brand will disapear,
> Rogers may integrate some of the former marketing )for instance the
> dog theme) into its own ads, but Fido rates will no longter be offered
> to new customers and little by little, Rogers will stop grandfathering
> existing ex-Fido customers' rates.
>
> If this is allowed to go through, within 1.5 years, expect to start
> getting nice letters giving you some sweet deal to move to a Rogers
> plan with the first couple months at reduced reate, and following
> months at the good old expensive Rogers prices.

I think this is very well put. I totally agree with you.

--
Mason Storm

-----------------------------
Remove "dogface" to reply privately in email.
-----------------------------
http://ciudad.latinol.com//boinks/booters.html
-----------------------------
Anonymous
September 21, 2004 8:07:49 AM

I find it interesting that the media seem to believe Roger's claims that it
will keep the Fido brand. How naive can they be ???????

Considering Fido still have a fair percentage of its customers without
contracts, loyalty will become totally 0 the minute Rogers buys Microcell.

Will be interesting to see how Rogers handles the issue of locked FIDO phones.
Anonymous
September 21, 2004 10:00:35 AM

I don't expect to see an increase in front end prices, but I do expect
to see an end to a gradual drop in prices.

We used to see Fido pushing prices steadily down, so that it was
reasonable to expect for the average consumer (No, not each consumer, so
maybe not you) to see a drop.

I think the current price plans will stay, but there will not be new
lower prices.

I also expect to see that backend prices going up, like international
roaming, international long distance, so they nickle and dime you.

Cheers all
Andrew

JF Mezei wrote:
> Jim MacKenzie wrote:
>
>>I'm hoping Rogers decides to keep Fido's low long distance rate and billing
>>by the second - it could do some serious damage to Telus, Bell, Aliant,
>>SaskTel, MTS, etc. if it did.
>

> If Rogers chose not to have per-second billing, it is because it felt it had
> no competitive need to do so, and buying Fido will even further reduce this
> small need.
>

> Roger's purchase of Fido will end up the same as Telus' purchase of Clearnet,
> if it is allowed to go though: Fido's brand will disapear, Rogers may
> integrate some of the former marketing )for instance the dog theme) into its
> own ads, but Fido rates will no longter be offered to new customers and little
> by little, Rogers will stop grandfathering existing ex-Fido customers' rates.
>
> If this is allowed to go through, within 1.5 years, expect to start getting
> nice letters giving you some sweet deal to move to a Rogers plan with the
> first couple months at reduced reate, and following months at the good old
> expensive Rogers prices.
Anonymous
September 21, 2004 10:00:36 AM

AndrewH wrote:

> I don't expect to see an increase in front end prices, but I do expect
> to see an end to a gradual drop in prices.

Which is interesting since the media seem to believe that by buying Fido,
Rogers will be able to continue to push price down adn be good for customers.
Again, the media are so naive.

From an accounting point of view, It could be a good deal for Rogers since it
will acquire bandwidth, infrastructure as well as a lot of customers.

Big question is how much rationlisation can be made in terms of towers.

I am very disapointed that the Microcell board has already recommended
acceptance. It is a very sad day.

With Fido about to disapear, I will request that they give me unloack codes
for ALL my phones, including my old 2190 in case I ever need those again years
from now when we'll have Rogers SIMs and Fido will be long gone.
Anonymous
September 21, 2004 2:37:18 PM

"JF Mezei" <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote in message
> Nobody has a decent 1900 network outside urban areas.

Telus does in Alberta. A friend has an old Clearnet analog/1900 CDMA phone
(I told him to upgrade :)  ). He gets analog only in Saskatchewan (as one
would expect) except in Regina and Saskatoon, but gets full digital
everywhere in Alberta. Telus must have CDMA 1900 implemented province-wide.

Jim
Anonymous
September 21, 2004 2:39:32 PM

<yoyo@rogers.com> wrote in message
> And dropped calls, and higher prices...

Since Rogers will own the Fido towers, and can take advantage of them,
Rogers' new amalgamated network should be at least as good as the better of
Fido and Rogers at the moment. I see this merger as win-win as long as some
of the plan advantages that Fido has get retained post-merger (low-cost long
distance, etc.).

Rogers could remove some of Microcell's towers and redeploy them (in certain
places, that might make sense - Rogers probably doesn't need two GSM towers
at Davidson, Saskatchewan, for example) but I would think most if not all of
the urban towers will stay right where they are.

Jim
Anonymous
September 21, 2004 2:42:22 PM

> And consider that with a recent decision by the government to lift certain
> bandwidth restrictions imposed on the legacy carriers (Bell/Telus/Rogers),
if
> Rogers is able to use all of the bandwidth from Fido, it may be able to do
> interesting things.

This is a good point. By having more spectrum, Rogers' costs to let people
use it drop. Unlimited plans encourage full networks, which annoy customers
who can't get on the network. Having more spectrum means that CityFido-like
plans (and even unlimited evenings and weekends plans) become cheaper for
Rogers to offer and less likely to cause spectrum congestion issues for
subscribers.

Jim
Anonymous
September 21, 2004 4:29:14 PM

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 02:32:50 -0400, JF Mezei wrote:
> With Fido about to disapear, I will request that they give me unloack
> codes for ALL my phones, including my old 2190 in case I ever need those
> again years from now when we'll have Rogers SIMs and Fido will be long
> gone.

You can request all you want, I don't see any reason Rogers would do that.
More likely they'd offer a swap to a Rogers phone. TTYL
Anonymous
September 21, 2004 4:51:18 PM

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 21:44:34 -0400, repatch <repatch42@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 23:50:36 +0000, yoyo wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 11:19:37 -0400, repatch <repatch42@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>>It's about time. Finally Fido users will get decent coverage.
>>
>> And dropped calls,
>
>Haven't had any more dropped calls with Rogers then I did with Fido,
>except of course during the big blackout last year (when I had Fido), but
>I don't count that...
>
>I did have one night where I kept getting crossed lines on Rogers, very
>weird, every call I tried to make ended up being connected to another call
>in progress, very weird. The effect disappeared after I switched towers.
>
>> and higher prices,
>
>That depends on your usage and features you want. For me Rogers actually
>turned out to be cheaper by a very small amount.
>
>> and by the way repatch your just a
>> dick and a troll.
>
>Oh, that hurt, I think I'm going to go cry now...
>
>Listen, if you're not
>capable of having a debate like an adult then maybe you should hang out
>with people your own mental age. Elementary school "name calling" is
>laughable during elementary, imagine what it is in your later years...

There's no debate here, all you do is cut up services you don't have
and praise the ones you have, weather you right or not you think yours
is the final truth.
Enough said, I hate feeding trolls.
Anonymous
September 21, 2004 4:51:19 PM

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 12:51:18 +0000, grubb wrote:
> There's no debate here, all you do is cut up services you don't have and
> praise the ones you have, weather you right or not you think yours is the
> final truth.

Hmm, so you're saying that the moment one stops using a service they loose
all right to complain about the service? Very interesting position.

But fine, yes, MY phone isn't on Fido, but my brother's is, and I use his
enough, so there, I'm still using the service, happy now? Do I have your
permission now?

> Enough said, I hate feeding trolls.

I don't, I love feeding trolls, I consider it a sport, seeing them slither
back and forth at my whim, very fun. TTYL
Anonymous
September 21, 2004 7:25:34 PM

Jim MacKenzie wrote:
> Since Rogers will own the Fido towers, and can take advantage of them,
> Rogers' new amalgamated network should be at least as good as the better of
> Fido and Rogers at the moment.

Rogers will be hard pressed to reduce any duplication in towers. They cost
money to operate (and pay land owners for use of their land/buildings). This
is especially true in cities.

Consider that Rogers never quite got its network properly tuned in Toronto.
Consider that Fido is working hard to fine tune its network in
Toronto/Vancouver to cope with CityFido. Amalgamating the 2 networks will be
tantamount to building a totally new one in terms of studying the ikpact of
removing one tower or the other and seing how coverage in that area is impacted.

Consider that Rogers's quality standards are also lower. So any changes to the
Microcell network from now on will probably be done to Rogers' lower standards.

> I see this merger as win-win as long as some
> of the plan advantages that Fido has get retained post-merger (low-cost long
> distance, etc.).

You are dreaming if you think that Rogers will keep Fido's advantages. Rogers
is getting Fido's customers and Fido's spectrum. The rest is just necessary baggage.

It will be most interesting to see how the Québec government reacts to this
one. Last time Rogers tried to buy a visible Québec firm (Videotron) the
government got the caisse de dépot to force Québécor to buy Videotron in order
to prevent it from falling into foreign hands. (it was the PQ in power at the
time).

> Rogers could remove some of Microcell's towers and redeploy them

I am not even sure of that. Does Microcell have any equipment that is the same
brand/compatible with Roger's network ?
Anonymous
September 21, 2004 8:35:00 PM

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 15:25:34 -0400, JF Mezei wrote:

> Jim MacKenzie wrote:
>> Since Rogers will own the Fido towers, and can take advantage of them,
>> Rogers' new amalgamated network should be at least as good as the better
>> of Fido and Rogers at the moment.
>
> Rogers will be hard pressed to reduce any duplication in towers. They cost
> money to operate (and pay land owners for use of their land/buildings).
> This is especially true in cities.
>
> Consider that Rogers never quite got its network properly tuned in
> Toronto. Consider that Fido is working hard to fine tune its network in
> Toronto/Vancouver to cope with CityFido. Amalgamating the 2 networks will
> be tantamount to building a totally new one in terms of studying the
> ikpact of removing one tower or the other and seing how coverage in that
> area is impacted.

Actually, if Rogers is allowed to keep Fido's spectrum (I'm not sure when
that decision is due) conceivably they'd have a far better 1900 coverage
then they seperately currently have.

> Consider that Rogers's quality standards are also lower. So any changes to
> the Microcell network from now on will probably be done to Rogers' lower
> standards.

True, but in my experience Rogers' network is pretty decent as it is, so
adding Fido will only make it better.
Anonymous
September 21, 2004 8:36:56 PM

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 10:42:22 -0600, Jim MacKenzie wrote:

> "JF Mezei" <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote in message
>> And consider that with a recent decision by the government to lift
>> certain bandwidth restrictions imposed on the legacy carriers
>> (Bell/Telus/Rogers),
> if
>> Rogers is able to use all of the bandwidth from Fido, it may be able to
>> do interesting things.
>
> This is a good point. By having more spectrum, Rogers' costs to let
> people use it drop. Unlimited plans encourage full networks, which annoy
> customers who can't get on the network. Having more spectrum means that
> CityFido-like plans (and even unlimited evenings and weekends plans)
> become cheaper for Rogers to offer and less likely to cause spectrum
> congestion issues for subscribers.

On top of that more spectrum means more sites can be in a given area and
not interfere with each other (as much) which can greatly increase
capacity in dense areas. It even helps in rural areas since adjacent sites
have more "choices" of what channels to use (i.e. more widely spaced
apart), increasing SNR. TTYL
September 21, 2004 9:05:59 PM

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 15:25:34 -0400, JF Mezei
<jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote:

>I am not even sure of that. Does Microcell have any equipment that is the same
>brand/compatible with Roger's network ?

Roger?

September 21, 2004 10:03:14 PM

repatch wrote:
> Actually, if Rogers is allowed to keep Fido's spectrum (I'm not sure when
> that decision is due) conceivably they'd have a far better 1900 coverage
> then they seperately currently have.

Spectrun does not affect coverage. It affect capacity only (number of channels
available from one tower). Signals won't go further, and weak signals won't
suddently become stronger.

What Rogers will probably do initially is to reduce the number of channels
available on Fido towers so it can use those channels on Rogers towers. So
Fido customers may start to see "system busy" signals more and more often.

While Rogers will likely allow Fido customers to roam on Rogers network at no
cost. In areas where there is no fido coverage, this is not a problem since
the Fido phones will roam on whatever network accepts them.

In urban areas where the fido signal is generally stronger and where fido
phones are programmed to have Fido as prefered network, those phones will
still want to lock onto Fido towers.

However, for Rogers customers, Rogers will still want those customers to
really have Rogers as prefered network, and allowing them to roam onto Fido
won't give anything since phones will already have locked onto Rogers network
which is present wherever Fido is present.
Anonymous
September 21, 2004 10:09:15 PM

repatch wrote:
> On top of that more spectrum means more sites can be in a given area and
> not interfere with each other (as much) which can greatly increase
> capacity in dense areas.

Yes. But this assumes that you are completely redesigning your coverage.

If current antennas are located such that there is limited interference to
maximise channel reuse, then Rogers would need to redesign location of
antennas to make them closer to each other and each antenna use different
channel ranges.

If Rogers is smart, it will use the Microcell network infrastructure as a base
for a 3G network. Think about it: shift Fido customers to the Rogers network,
then you can convert the microcell network to 3G and then start to sell Rogers
branded 3G services while your old customers are on the 2.5G Rogers network.
Anonymous
September 21, 2004 11:05:10 PM

In article <pan.2004.09.20.15.19.35.800449@yahoo.com>,
repatch <repatch42@yahoo.com> wrote:

> It's about time. Finally Fido users will get decent coverage.

If Fido's call quality and coverage drops to the level of Rogers, I will
be leaving.

Rogers may have wider coverage in more areas, but at least in BC their
coverage is extremely shallow. Dropped calls and poor quality are the
name of the game with Rogers.

--
Steven Fisher; sdfisher@spamcop.net
"Morituri Nolumus Mori."

In article <pan.2004.09.20.18.17.00.808740@yahoo.com>,
repatch <repatch42@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Odd, considering my move to Rogers actually resulted in my spending LESS
> per month then I did with Fido, fancy that...

My time with Rogers cost me about 1.5x as much as Fido, and for an
inferior package. This is very bad news, although probably better than a
Telus deal.

--
Steven Fisher; sdfisher@spamcop.net
"Morituri Nolumus Mori."
Anonymous
September 21, 2004 11:14:18 PM

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 18:03:14 -0400, JF Mezei wrote:

> repatch wrote:
>> Actually, if Rogers is allowed to keep Fido's spectrum (I'm not sure
>> when that decision is due) conceivably they'd have a far better 1900
>> coverage then they seperately currently have.
>
> Spectrun does not affect coverage. It affect capacity only (number of
> channels available from one tower). Signals won't go further, and weak
> signals won't suddently become stronger.

Actually it can, and does, the reason is co-site interference. In dense
coverage areas sites are so close together that they are purposely design
to not go as far as urban sites. The reason is if a site throws it's
signal too far it'll start to interfere with the nearest site using the
same channels.

More channels (i.e. spectrum) means those same sites can cover more since
the next site with the same channels is theoretically farther.

While I've tremendously simplified things I hope I got my point across.

This isn't to say that Rogers WILL do this, only that they can.

> What Rogers will probably do initially is to reduce the number of
> channels available on Fido towers so it can use those channels on Rogers
> towers. So Fido customers may start to see "system busy" signals more
> and more often.

Very possible, chances are they'll start a phone+sim swap pretty soon
after acquiring Fido.

> In urban areas where the fido signal is generally stronger and where
> fido phones are programmed to have Fido as prefered network, those
> phones will still want to lock onto Fido towers.

Yes, but that can be overridden by the customer, annoying, but possible.
There is no doubt that Fido customers will want to get on the Rogers
network. Is OTA programming of SIM's preferred carrier lists possible?
Anonymous
September 21, 2004 11:16:11 PM

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 18:09:15 -0400, JF Mezei wrote:

> repatch wrote:
>> On top of that more spectrum means more sites can be in a given area and
>> not interfere with each other (as much) which can greatly increase
>> capacity in dense areas.
>
> Yes. But this assumes that you are completely redesigning your coverage.

Yup, which is what Rogers will do, they've already done it once.

> If current antennas are located such that there is limited interference to
> maximise channel reuse, then Rogers would need to redesign location of
> antennas to make them closer to each other and each antenna use different
> channel ranges.

Not necessarily, it is far more complicated a situation, and antennas are
rarely in the prime place these days anyways.

> If Rogers is smart, it will use the Microcell network infrastructure as
> a base for a 3G network. Think about it: shift Fido customers to the
> Rogers network, then you can convert the microcell network to 3G and
> then start to sell Rogers branded 3G services while your old customers
> are on the 2.5G Rogers network.

Interesting idea, never considered that. TTYL
Anonymous
September 22, 2004 1:41:36 AM

repatch wrote:
> Actually it can, and does, the reason is co-site interference. In dense
> coverage areas sites are so close together that they are purposely design
> to not go as far as urban sites. The reason is if a site throws it's
> signal too far it'll start to interfere with the nearest site using the
> same channels.

But this means that Rogers will have to retune all its antennas to increase
signal propagation. Retuning antennas all over the place is a big project.
Anonymous
September 22, 2004 4:40:39 AM

repatch wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 18:03:14 -0400, JF Mezei wrote:

(much snippage)

> Very possible, chances are they'll start a phone+sim swap pretty soon
> after acquiring Fido.
>

>>In urban areas where the fido signal is generally stronger and where
>>fido phones are programmed to have Fido as prefered network, those
>>phones will still want to lock onto Fido towers.
>

> Yes, but that can be overridden by the customer, annoying, but possible.
> There is no doubt that Fido customers will want to get on the Rogers
> network. Is OTA programming of SIM's preferred carrier lists possible?

Ted Rogers has been quoted as saying it's just a matter of flicking a
switch:

> Under the proposed deal, Rogers would maintain Microcell's popular Fido brand and customers using the service won't need to change handsets or phone numbers because both wireless providers operate on global system for mobile communications (GSM) networks.
>
> "That [joining the two networks] will be done by a switch turning roaming on," Rogers president and CEO Ted Rogers said. "It's not complicated at all. I think it could be done in an hour, but we'll say a day just to be safe."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.2004...
Anonymous
September 22, 2004 12:52:30 PM

"Steven Fisher" <sdfisher@spamcop.net> wrote in message
> Rogers may have wider coverage in more areas, but at least in BC their
> coverage is extremely shallow. Dropped calls and poor quality are the
> name of the game with Rogers.

At what frequency? If you have a GSM 1900 (or 900/1800/1900) phone, this
wouldn't be surprising. If you have a GSM 850/1900 phone, this would be
surprising indeed.

Jim
Anonymous
September 22, 2004 1:23:05 PM

On 20 Sep 2004 06:34:31 -0700, tfortony@yahoo.com (tony) wrote:

>In case you haven't heard, looks like Fido is agreeing to it:
>
><http://www.cbc.ca/story/business/national/2004/09/20/ro...;
>
>I certainly hope City|Fido stays in tact, as does Fido's current voice
>mail with instant reply. I have Roger's vm system. I'm guessing if
>this gets finalized this year, not a lot will change in the first half
>of 2005, but then, who knows? :(
>
>Maybe Rogers will change over some of their system's to Fido's plans
>and vm, which would be good for us and them.
>
>.:. tony

I really don't like that !!

Call me a pessimistic paranoiac but my guess is that it's gonna be
double the price and bye bye customer services hello salesmen ! :S

I already ran away from roger once didn't think I would have to do it
again !?

I also approve the pager/pay phone alternative ! :)

--

EDgAr H.
DPTLC.biz

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 00:40:39 +0000, Brendan McCullough wrote:
> Ted Rogers has been quoted as saying it's just a matter of flicking a
> switch:
>
>> Under the proposed deal, Rogers would maintain Microcell's popular Fido
>> brand and customers using the service won't need to change handsets or
>> phone numbers because both wireless providers operate on global system
>> for mobile communications (GSM) networks.
>>
>> "That [joining the two networks] will be done by a switch turning
>> roaming on," Rogers president and CEO Ted Rogers said. "It's not
>> complicated at all. I think it could be done in an hour, but we'll say a
>> day just to be safe."
>
> http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.2004...

Yes, but that will just allow Fido phones to roam on Rogers, if I
understand things correctly the phone will still try to "lock" onto
"home", home being Fido.

Now, if Rogers simply changed the provider ID on every Fido tower to BE
Rogers, and allowed Fido phones to "roam" on Rogers, then every Fido phone
would not see "home" and simply roam onto Rogers.

In fact, if it were up to me, that's probably how I'd go about it anyways,
seems the easiest way. TTYL
Anonymous
September 22, 2004 3:32:26 PM

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 21:41:36 -0400, JF Mezei wrote:

> repatch wrote:
>> Actually it can, and does, the reason is co-site interference. In dense
>> coverage areas sites are so close together that they are purposely
>> design to not go as far as urban sites. The reason is if a site throws
>> it's signal too far it'll start to interfere with the nearest site using
>> the same channels.
>
> But this means that Rogers will have to retune all its antennas to
> increase signal propagation. Retuning antennas all over the place is a big
> project.

Not really, it's mostly just an output power deal on many towers these
days, a software setting. While there will certainly need to be SOME
retuning (i.e. in VERY dense areas where the antennas are basically
pointing almost straight down), but in less dense areas (i.e. Markham)
it's likely they'll just "turn up the juice" a little, after changing
channels around.

Of course, we are all speculating, who knows what will really happen, I'm
just saying the potential for better coverage is definitely there, and
pretty easy to accomplish.
Anonymous
September 23, 2004 3:40:34 AM

JF Mezei said:
> I find it interesting that the media seem to believe Roger's claims that it
> will keep the Fido brand. How naive can they be ???????
>
> Considering Fido still have a fair percentage of its customers without
> contracts, loyalty will become totally 0 the minute Rogers buys Microcell.
>
> Will be interesting to see how Rogers handles the issue of locked FIDO phones.
----------------

I read that Rogers could actually use Fido as a brand. They would use it
against Virgin, which is getting ready to invade the market
aggressively, and use City Fido to steal as many customers from Bell and
Telus as they could.

Nothing says that it is guaranteed, but those two reasons seem to make
sense.

Munger

--
Read about my travels: http://travels.munger.ca/
Anonymous

JF Mezei said:

> It will be most interesting to see how the Québec government reacts to this
> one. Last time Rogers tried to buy a visible Québec firm (Videotron) the
> government got the caisse de dépot to force Québécor to buy Videotron in order
> to prevent it from falling into foreign hands. (it was the PQ in power at the
> time).
---------

The Caisse de dépôt doesn't take orders from the government, so the PQ
or the liberals have nothing to do with it. Don't forget that the Caisse
is now regretting that move. Videotron is a really bad investment for
the institution.

And there are differences between the transactions. Videotron was a
bigger symbol of success for a Quebec-based company and Quebecor was a
local buyer for the company. As Telus is from the West, don't expect the
same reaction.

Munger
Anonymous
September 23, 2004 4:28:02 AM

Munger wrote:
> The Caisse de dépôt doesn't take orders from the government, so the PQ
> or the liberals have nothing to do with it.

Actually, they did take "strong suggestions" from the PQ government very
often. Remember that the Caisse is the Québec Govt pension fund. However,
since the debacle a year or two ago, the Caisse has made it very clear that it
would n longer make "politically motivated" investments. #

Note that the Caisse didn't actually invest into Videotron. They invested in
Québécor which then wasted money in Videotron to ruin the company. The Caisse
should have invested in star choice and ExpressVu to profit from Québécor's
ineptitude in managing Videotron.

> And there are differences between the transactions. Videotron was a
> bigger symbol of success for a Quebec-based company and Quebecor was a
> local buyer for the company. As Telus is from the West, don't expect the
> same reaction.

Forget Telus. Fact remains that Videotron and Microcell were flagships of
Québec's high tech potential. Granted, Videotron was a far more visible
enterprise and perhaps more worthy of political interference, and especially
sicne this happened at a time the government was the separatists PQ for whom
Ontario was to Québec what the USSR was to the USA back in the 1960s.

The current government which lacks backbone, is perhaps more likely to not
even notice the change in hand and loss of a valuable québec high tech company.
Anonymous
September 23, 2004 4:36:03 AM

Munger wrote:
> I read that Rogers could actually use Fido as a brand. They would use it
> against Virgin, which is getting ready to invade the market
> aggressively, and use City Fido to steal as many customers from Bell and
> Telus as they could.

Look, if Rogers had wanted to do this, they could have simply offered
competitive packages with the Rogers brand.

Rogers is just saying it will preserve Fido a a way to make the elimination of
Fido more palatable to the competition bureau. Once all is said and done,
approved, signed, sealed and delivered, Rogers will quickly integrate
Microcell and you'll fairly quickly stop seeing any new packages offered under
the Fido brand, start to see Rogers issued bills, and start to gets service
offers sent to ex Fido customers for Rogers branded packages with some
convincing argument to push Fido customers to opt for per-minute billing as
something which is much better.

It will not be any different from Telus' purchase of Clearnet.
September 23, 2004 4:36:04 AM

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 00:36:03 -0400, JF Mezei
<jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote:

>Rogers is just saying it will preserve Fido a a way to make the elimination of
>Fido more palatable to the competition bureau.

So what you're saying is Rogers is lying, eh? Do you work for Rogers
so you know that they couldn't possibly be telling the truth?