Frozen Video

Tigerfire

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2004
Okay I have been having a problem with my video lately. I thought it was SW Battlefronts specific here is why. The game would lock up and freeze the whole computer. This would happen at specific times that I could reproduce over and over. It always freezes when going from one level to the next. Now I was playing a yahoo game and the same thing happened. I also noticed that while watching a lot of video in media player the screen goes green and I have to stop the video and restart it.

Now would anyone out there agree that this is a video card issue or am I missing something?

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
Can u list ur system specs ?
1st guess: might be drivers
2nd guess: Might be a power issue.

:tongue: <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/priyajeet/fing.jpg" target="_new"><i><font color=red>Very funny, Scotty.</font color=red><font color=blue> Now beam down my clothes.</font color=blue></i></A> :tongue:

Tigerfire

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2004
AMD 3200+
MSI GEForce 5600
400 wat P/S
1 gig of ram
DVD
DVD burner
USB Mouse (Logitec Cordless)

If you need anything else let me know. Just to add more info I have had this setup for over a year now and the problems just started when Star Wars Battle Front came out.

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
reproduce the problem. and note the time of crash.
then goto the control panel> admin option>event viewer. there see under the system and application windows, what crashed at that time. See yellow red marks.

:tongue: <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/priyajeet/fing.jpg" target="_new"><i><font color=red>Very funny, Scotty.</font color=red><font color=blue> Now beam down my clothes.</font color=blue></i></A> :tongue:

sweatlaserxp

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
LOL What a riot! You must be really frustrated. That reminds me of those dog days of the Rage 128 card.

<A HREF="http://atomfilms.shockwave.com/landing/landingIndex.jsp?id=dumb01&mature=accept" target="_new">DumbLand</A>

Tigerfire

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2004
Okay checked that. No yellow or red tags. I got some software that can test the PC. It failed one of the 3D tests. It fails the same test every time.

It looks more and more like there is something up with the card.

I am planning on doing a complete format during Thanksgiving. If that doesn't turn anything up I may need to get a new card.

That is unless anyone can think of anything else.

rx7000

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2003
Hey for shits and giggles try running memtest86. I was having problems that sounded alot like yours with all my games, not just battlefronts, and it turned out to be a bad stick of ram. My comp would crash to desktop, and totally reboot in the middle of games. It might having nothing to do with your problem but its worth a shot. I tried everything, drivers, formatting, bought more cooling for my computer, monitored my videocard and processor temps, and checking the ram with memtest was the very last thing I did (thanks to some good advice) and it ended up curing all of my problems.

Asus p4c800 Deluxe,1 Gig Mushkin PC3200 Dual Channel Level II V2,Pentium 4 3.0 512k 800fsb HT, Thermaltake Xaser III, Thermaltake Spark 7+, Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum Pro, eVGA GeForce 6800 GT

Tigerfire

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2004
Okay I gave it a try. No errors. I think I am back to the format. Maybe there is something in there blocking things. I just hope I don't have to get a new card just yet. I would like to wait for PCI express boards to get a little cheaper.

Tigerfire

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2004
Okay I did the Format and didn't load any drivers for the vid card. Things seem to be fine so far. It looks like the drivers may have been the problem. While I was backing everything up I noticed that the computer was trying to run stuff from my old tuner card. I am thinking this may have been the ultimate issue. But I am gonna leave the drivers at the MS defaults until I see the need to update them.

Thanks for all the help.

rx7000

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2003
If you ever installed new drivers without using a driver cleaner to uninstall the old drivers, that can definetly cause problems not to mention ruin performance.

Also if you have a onboard graphics card etc and you put in a new card without fully disableing the old graphics adapter that can lead to hardware conflicts. That dosnt seem to be the case though from what your saying, Im willing to bet it was residue software from previous drivers interfering with drivers installed over it.

Asus p4c800 Deluxe,1 Gig Mushkin PC3200 Dual Channel Level II V2,Pentium 4 3.0 512k 800fsb HT, Thermaltake Xaser III, Thermaltake Spark 7+, Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum Pro, eVGA GeForce 6800 GT

Tigerfire

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2004
I am going to keep watching it but I talked with a friend of mine and he reminded me that I was having problems with my media playback a while ago also. It seems it started about the time I had DirectTV with a DVR brought into the house. Twas the same day I removed the Tuner card (Completely seperate from the video card) from the system. Now this card had 3 different programs running so that it could do it's think (play, record, time delay etc.) When I removed the card and uninstalled the software it looks like all of the software didn't come off. So the software was trying to use the video card. At least what was left of the software. It sems it was causing a memory leak. Apparently some of the maintenance software was fighting this off... until I got XP SP2. I got SP2 the same time I got Battlefront.

It amazes me how much trivial stuff my friend remembers.