OEM software from Eastern Europe

Like others I have been inundated with adverts from this company
http://www.software-disks.com that sell MS products dirt cheap. Eg, they
sell OEM Windows XP Pro SP2 for $80. I was considering buying a system disk
from them. But has anyone had problems when purchasing from this company.
Are they pirates or is the stuff genuine?
14 answers Last reply
More about software eastern europe

    Surely you're joking. Someone about whom you know nothing spams you with an
    offer for software for $100 below the going price (in the U.S.) and you
    wonder if it's legitimate?

    --
    Ted Zieglar
    "You can do it if you try."

    > Like others I have been inundated with adverts from this company
    > http://www.software-disks.com that sell MS products dirt cheap. Eg, they
    > sell OEM Windows XP Pro SP2 for $80. I was considering buying a system
    disk
    > from them. But has anyone had problems when purchasing from this company.
    > Are they pirates or is the stuff genuine?

    I can't speak to this site specifically, but stop and think about the
    situation. Software sales are very competitive. How can it be that your
    local big box store or known internet sale site isn't offering the material
    for a similar price?

    Oh, you could argue they have more mark up or overhead, but they don't have
    THAT MUCH more overhead!! I have been in business; everyone has the
    thinnest imagineable margins.

    Various governments have turned a blind eye to copyright infringements for
    years. I was in Taipai in 1978 and they had bookstores filled to the rafters
    with ripped off reproductions of US titles for 10% of US prices. However,
    one didn't want to be snagged going through US customs with this material.
    The fines are tough!!

    So, is it "genuine"?? It may be accurate, but it may also be pirated. Do
    you want to take the following chances:

    1. the whole thing is an attempt to get your credit card info
    2. the software may do more harm than good
    3. the customs people may knock on your door for receiving stolen property
    (has happened)
    4. bill gates will sniff you out eventually and slaughter your first born,
    then take you to court.

    Regardless of your love or disdain for any software publisher it is their
    work product. They put the effort into it. They take the risks. They are
    entitled to sell their product for the price they think they can get away
    with. This is the way life is. accept it. Deal with it.

    Whenever I see these offers I am reminded of an encounter I had in Rota,
    Spain with a local female. She was pretty and cheap, but the ride was lousy
    and I got the clap.

    chuck

    Frank Booth Snr wrote:
    > Like others I have been inundated with adverts from this company
    > http://www.software-disks.com that sell MS products dirt cheap. Eg, they
    > sell OEM Windows XP Pro SP2 for $80. I was considering buying a system disk
    > from them. But has anyone had problems when purchasing from this company.
    > Are they pirates or is the stuff genuine?

    Actually, if you were to clicked the links provided and then read
    the site's self-contradictory,broken English "FAQ," you'd probably
    have known it was a scam. Full OEM CDs that are full retail versions
    that are legal as backup media? Shipped from eastern Europe? All CDs
    shipped with the serial number included in a text file? Definitely
    not legitimate CDs.

    Those people who have reported back here after making purchases
    from several of such web sites have indicated that what they actually
    received was a copy of the widely-known-to-be-pirated Volume Licensed
    version of WinXP Pro. They couldn't even install SP1 without being
    informed that the had an invalid Product Key. And then there were the
    mysterious charges that started appearing on some of their credit cards....

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    > Like others I have been inundated with adverts from this company
    > http://www.software-disks.com that sell MS products dirt cheap. Eg, they
    > sell OEM Windows XP Pro SP2 for $80. I was considering buying a system
    > disk
    > from them. But has anyone had problems when purchasing from this company.
    > Are they pirates or is the stuff genuine?

    Frank,

    Be very careful - some are actually just scams to get your credit card
    details, others are pirated and some are genuine.
    As many posters say - "if it looks too good .... it probably is".
    Buyer Beware.

    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    In article <42922940@212.67.96.135>, frank@oldman.com says...
    > Like others I have been inundated with adverts from this company
    > http://www.software-disks.com that sell MS products dirt cheap. Eg, they
    > sell OEM Windows XP Pro SP2 for $80. I was considering buying a system disk
    > from them. But has anyone had problems when purchasing from this company.
    > Are they pirates or is the stuff genuine?

    You would be just as safe if you posted a couple credit card numbers,
    your home address and your social security number in this public forum.

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

    > Surely you're joking. Someone about whom you know nothing spams you with
    an
    > offer for software for $100 below the going price (in the U.S.) and you
    > wonder if it's legitimate?

    I'm not joking. Their website looks quite legitimate, and they have been
    going (spamming) for many months now. If they were scammers ( as well as
    spammers) then I'm sure I would have heard or read something by now, which
    is why I'm asking. The product was OEM XP, which in any case is much cheaper
    than the standard retail version.

    Frank Booth Snr wrote:

    > I'm not joking. Their website looks quite legitimate, and they have been
    > going (spamming) for many months now.

    Ask yourself this: Why would any legitimate business have to resort to
    spam to advertise its "services" or "products?"

    >>If they were scammers ( as well as
    > spammers) then I'm sure I would have heard or read something by now, which
    > is why I'm asking.

    Your reasoning is seriously flawed. This question pops up in these
    newsgroups about as often as the software pirates change hosting
    servers. In plain English, several times a week.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    "persian ram" <chuck_petterson@excite.com> wrote in message

    > I can't speak to this site specifically, but stop and think about the
    > situation. Software sales are very competitive. How can it be that your
    > local big box store or known internet sale site isn't offering the
    material
    > for a similar price?
    >
    > Oh, you could argue they have more mark up or overhead, but they don't
    have
    > THAT MUCH more overhead!! I have been in business; everyone has the
    > thinnest imagineable margins.
    >
    > Various governments have turned a blind eye to copyright infringements
    for
    > years. I was in Taipai in 1978 and they had bookstores filled to the
    rafters
    > with ripped off reproductions of US titles for 10% of US prices. However,
    > one didn't want to be snagged going through US customs with this material.
    > The fines are tough!!
    >
    > So, is it "genuine"?? It may be accurate, but it may also be pirated. Do
    > you want to take the following chances:
    >
    > 1. the whole thing is an attempt to get your credit card info
    > 2. the software may do more harm than good
    > 3. the customs people may knock on your door for receiving stolen
    property
    > (has happened)
    > 4. bill gates will sniff you out eventually and slaughter your first
    born,
    > then take you to court.
    >
    > Regardless of your love or disdain for any software publisher it is their
    > work product. They put the effort into it. They take the risks. They
    are
    > entitled to sell their product for the price they think they can get away
    > with. This is the way life is. accept it. Deal with it.
    >
    > Whenever I see these offers I am reminded of an encounter I had in Rota,
    > Spain with a local female. She was pretty and cheap, but the ride was
    lousy
    > and I got the clap.
    >
    > chuck

    Point taken :-)

    "Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@h0tmail.c0m> wrote in message
    > Frank Booth Snr wrote:
    > > Like others I have been inundated with adverts from this company
    > > http://www.software-disks.com that sell MS products dirt cheap. Eg, they
    > > sell OEM Windows XP Pro SP2 for $80. I was considering buying a system
    disk
    > > from them. But has anyone had problems when purchasing from this
    company.
    > > Are they pirates or is the stuff genuine?
    > >

    > Actually, if you were to clicked the links provided and then read
    > the site's self-contradictory,broken English "FAQ," you'd probably
    > have known it was a scam. Full OEM CDs that are full retail versions
    > that are legal as backup media? Shipped from eastern Europe? All CDs
    > shipped with the serial number included in a text file? Definitely
    > not legitimate CDs.
    >
    > Those people who have reported back here after making purchases
    > from several of such web sites have indicated that what they actually
    > received was a copy of the widely-known-to-be-pirated Volume Licensed
    > version of WinXP Pro. They couldn't even install SP1 without being
    > informed that the had an invalid Product Key. And then there were the
    > mysterious charges that started appearing on some of their credit
    cards....

    If I wasn't suspicious about it, I wouldn't have raised the question. My
    suspicions were raised when they said you could not register with any
    manufacturer, or anyone for that matter Whenever I read anything going
    cheap from Eastern Europe, it's usually bad news. I just wanted to know if
    anyone had dealt with this organisation. I haven't parted with my money,
    nor intend to, so no harm has been done.

    Don't be silly. Eastern Europeans are the most trustworthy people on this planet. M$'s main programmers are from Hungary and you will find in many books citing hungarian notation of naming variables because these programers ran out of variables so they invented their own. C & C++ are case sensitive so MyVariable and myvariable are two different variables (the first being in hungarian notation)!!!

    I buy and download software from everywhere and I have had no problems. The site you have mentioned is familiar to me but I haven't had any dealings with them as yet but I shall certainly contact them to see if they have English versions of software and whether they are prepared to negotiate with me to distribute through me t the english speaking world so that people like Leythos could have assurance. There is nothing wrong in buying pirated copies as long as they work properly.

    Leythos wrote:

    > In article <42922940@212.67.96.135>, frank@oldman.com says...
    > > Like others I have been inundated with adverts from this company
    > > http://www.software-disks.com that sell MS products dirt cheap. Eg, they
    > > sell OEM Windows XP Pro SP2 for $80. I was considering buying a system disk
    > > from them. But has anyone had problems when purchasing from this company.
    > > Are they pirates or is the stuff genuine?
    >
    > You would be just as safe if you posted a couple credit card numbers,
    > your home address and your social security number in this public forum.

    > spam999free@rrohio.com
    > remove 999 in order to email me
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    On Tue, 24 May 2005 23:59:59 +0100, "Kevin Brunt (Fat B@stard)!!"
    <k.brunt@ccs.bbk.ac.uk> top posted:

    >Leythos wrote:
    >>
    >> In article <42922940@212.67.96.135>, frank@oldman.com says...
    >> > Like others I have been inundated with adverts from this company
    >> > http://www.software-disks.com that sell MS products dirt cheap. Eg, they
    >> > sell OEM Windows XP Pro SP2 for $80. I was considering buying a system disk
    >> > from them. But has anyone had problems when purchasing from this company.
    >> > Are they pirates or is the stuff genuine?
    >>
    >> You would be just as safe if you posted a couple credit card numbers,
    >> your home address and your social security number in this public forum.

    >Don't be silly. Eastern Europeans are the most trustworthy people on this planet. M$'s main programmers are from Hungary and you will find in many books citing hungarian notation of naming variables because these programers ran out of variables so they invented their own. C & C++ are case sensitive so MyVariable and myvariable are two different variables (the first being in hungarian notation)!!!
    >
    >I buy and download software from everywhere and I have had no problems. The site you have mentioned is familiar to me but I haven't had any dealings with them as yet but I shall certainly contact them to see if they have English versions of software and whether they are prepared to negotiate with me to distribute through me t the english speaking world so that people like Leythos could have assurance. There is nothing wrong in buying pirated copies as long as they work properly.

    I doubt that I'd be inclined to trust you either.
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    In article <7379B934.4FF6932E@ccs.bbk.ac.uk>, k.brunt@ccs.bbk.ac.uk
    says...

    > Don't be silly. Eastern Europeans are the most trustworthy people on this planet. M$'s main programmers are from Hungary and you will find in many books citing hungarian notation of naming variables because these programers ran out of variables so they invented their own. C & C++ are case sensitive so MyVariable and myvariable are two different variables (the first being in hungarian notation)!!!
    >
    > I buy and download software from everywhere and I have had no problems. The site you have mentioned is familiar to me but I haven't had any dealings with them as yet but I shall certainly contact them to see if they have English versions of software and whether they are prepared to negotiate with me to distribute through me t the english speaking world so that people like Leythos could have assurance. There is nothing wrong in buying pirated copies as long as they work
    properly.

    And do you think that anyone would trust a recommendation from a lamer
    that can't even properly post to Usenet?

    It's not the pirated software, that may be filled with viruses or
    trojans or even key-loggers, that's the problem, it's giving a credit
    card number to an unethical entity and having any thought that the
    credit card is safe with them.

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me
  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    <k.brunt@ccs.bbk.ac.uk> wrote:

    >Don't be silly. Eastern Europeans are the most trustworthy people on this planet. M$'s main programmers are from Hungary and you will find in many >books citing hungarian notation of naming variables because these programers ran out of variables so they invented their own. C & C++ are case sensitive >so MyVariable and myvariable are two different variables (the first being in hungarian notation)!!!
    >
    >I buy and download software from everywhere and I have had no problems. The site you have mentioned is familiar to me but I haven't had any dealings >with them as yet but I shall certainly contact them to see if they have English versions of software and whether they are prepared to negotiate with me to >distribute through me t the english speaking world so that people like Leythos could have assurance. There is nothing wrong in buying pirated copies as >long as they work properly.

    You say "There is nothing wrong in buying pirated copies as long as
    they work properly."

    Is there nothing wrong with stealing your car, as long as it is in
    good repair?
    Is there nothing wrong with robbing your bank, as long as the tellers
    all do their jobs?
    Is there nothing wrong with raping your wife, as long as she doesn't
    complain loudly?
    Is there nothing wrong with kidnapping your kids, as long as they have
    fun?

    Like all crimes, there is ALWAYS something wrong with receiving stolen
    goods such as pirated software, whether it works properly or not --
    especially when you KNOW the software is pirated. Not only that, it
    is always wrong to receive stolen good such as pirated software,
    whether you feel guilty about it or not.

    The fact is, if you commit a crime, you are guilty of it, whether you
    believe or feel that it is wrong or not.

    I don't know about Hungary, but here in the United States, it is a
    crime to receive stolen goods if you know or suspect that the goods
    are stolen. Committing a crime is NEVER right. Not only are you
    guilty before the Law, you are guilty before God, Who is your Final
    Judge. He wrote it succinctly in the 10 Commandments: "You shall not
    steal"

    Donald L McDaniel
    Please reply to the original thread
    so that others may be instructed or informed

OEM Software Windows XP