OEM software from Eastern Europe

Like others I have been inundated with adverts from this company
http://www.software-disks.com that sell MS products dirt cheap. Eg, they
sell OEM Windows XP Pro SP2 for $80. I was considering buying a system disk
from them. But has anyone had problems when purchasing from this company.
Are they pirates or is the stuff genuine?

Surely you're joking. Someone about whom you know nothing spams you with an
offer for software for $100 below the going price (in the U.S.) and you
wonder if it's legitimate?

--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

> Like others I have been inundated with adverts from this company
> http://www.software-disks.com that sell MS products dirt cheap. Eg, they
> sell OEM Windows XP Pro SP2 for $80. I was considering buying a system
disk
> from them. But has anyone had problems when purchasing from this company.
> Are they pirates or is the stuff genuine?

I can't speak to this site specifically, but stop and think about the
situation. Software sales are very competitive. How can it be that your
local big box store or known internet sale site isn't offering the material
for a similar price?

Oh, you could argue they have more mark up or overhead, but they don't have
THAT MUCH more overhead!! I have been in business; everyone has the
thinnest imagineable margins.

Various governments have turned a blind eye to copyright infringements for
years. I was in Taipai in 1978 and they had bookstores filled to the rafters
with ripped off reproductions of US titles for 10% of US prices. However,
one didn't want to be snagged going through US customs with this material.
The fines are tough!!

So, is it "genuine"?? It may be accurate, but it may also be pirated. Do
you want to take the following chances:

1. the whole thing is an attempt to get your credit card info
2. the software may do more harm than good
3. the customs people may knock on your door for receiving stolen property
(has happened)
4. bill gates will sniff you out eventually and slaughter your first born,
then take you to court.

Regardless of your love or disdain for any software publisher it is their
work product. They put the effort into it. They take the risks. They are
entitled to sell their product for the price they think they can get away
with. This is the way life is. accept it. Deal with it.

Whenever I see these offers I am reminded of an encounter I had in Rota,
Spain with a local female. She was pretty and cheap, but the ride was lousy
and I got the clap.

chuck

Frank Booth Snr wrote:
> Like others I have been inundated with adverts from this company
> http://www.software-disks.com that sell MS products dirt cheap. Eg, they
> sell OEM Windows XP Pro SP2 for $80. I was considering buying a system disk
> from them. But has anyone had problems when purchasing from this company.
> Are they pirates or is the stuff genuine?

Actually, if you were to clicked the links provided and then read
the site's self-contradictory,broken English "FAQ," you'd probably
have known it was a scam. Full OEM CDs that are full retail versions
that are legal as backup media? Shipped from eastern Europe? All CDs
shipped with the serial number included in a text file? Definitely
not legitimate CDs.

Those people who have reported back here after making purchases
from several of such web sites have indicated that what they actually
received was a copy of the widely-known-to-be-pirated Volume Licensed
version of WinXP Pro. They couldn't even install SP1 without being
informed that the had an invalid Product Key. And then there were the
mysterious charges that started appearing on some of their credit cards....

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

> Like others I have been inundated with adverts from this company
> http://www.software-disks.com that sell MS products dirt cheap. Eg, they
> sell OEM Windows XP Pro SP2 for $80. I was considering buying a system
> disk
> from them. But has anyone had problems when purchasing from this company.
> Are they pirates or is the stuff genuine?

Frank,

Be very careful - some are actually just scams to get your credit card
details, others are pirated and some are genuine.
As many posters say - "if it looks too good .... it probably is".
Buyer Beware.

--

Regards,

Mike
--
Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

rights

newsgroups

In article <42922940@212.67.96.135>, frank@oldman.com says...
> Like others I have been inundated with adverts from this company
> http://www.software-disks.com that sell MS products dirt cheap. Eg, they
> sell OEM Windows XP Pro SP2 for $80. I was considering buying a system disk
> from them. But has anyone had problems when purchasing from this company.
> Are they pirates or is the stuff genuine?

You would be just as safe if you posted a couple credit card numbers,
your home address and your social security number in this public forum.

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

> Surely you're joking. Someone about whom you know nothing spams you with
an
> offer for software for $100 below the going price (in the U.S.) and you
> wonder if it's legitimate?

I'm not joking. Their website looks quite legitimate, and they have been
going (spamming) for many months now. If they were scammers ( as well as
spammers) then I'm sure I would have heard or read something by now, which
is why I'm asking. The product was OEM XP, which in any case is much cheaper
than the standard retail version.

Frank Booth Snr wrote:

> I'm not joking. Their website looks quite legitimate, and they have been
> going (spamming) for many months now.

Ask yourself this: Why would any legitimate business have to resort to
spam to advertise its "services" or "products?"

>>If they were scammers ( as well as
> spammers) then I'm sure I would have heard or read something by now, which
> is why I'm asking.

Your reasoning is seriously flawed. This question pops up in these
newsgroups about as often as the software pirates change hosting
servers. In plain English, several times a week.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

"persian ram" <chuck_petterson@excite.com> wrote in message

> I can't speak to this site specifically, but stop and think about the
> situation. Software sales are very competitive. How can it be that your
> local big box store or known internet sale site isn't offering the
material
> for a similar price?
>
> Oh, you could argue they have more mark up or overhead, but they don't
have
> THAT MUCH more overhead!! I have been in business; everyone has the
> thinnest imagineable margins.
>
> Various governments have turned a blind eye to copyright infringements
for
> years. I was in Taipai in 1978 and they had bookstores filled to the
rafters
> with ripped off reproductions of US titles for 10% of US prices. However,
> one didn't want to be snagged going through US customs with this material.
> The fines are tough!!
>
> So, is it "genuine"?? It may be accurate, but it may also be pirated. Do
> you want to take the following chances:
>
> 1. the whole thing is an attempt to get your credit card info
> 2. the software may do more harm than good
> 3. the customs people may knock on your door for receiving stolen
property
> (has happened)
> 4. bill gates will sniff you out eventually and slaughter your first
born,
> then take you to court.
>
> Regardless of your love or disdain for any software publisher it is their
> work product. They put the effort into it. They take the risks. They
are
> entitled to sell their product for the price they think they can get away
> with. This is the way life is. accept it. Deal with it.
>
> Whenever I see these offers I am reminded of an encounter I had in Rota,
> Spain with a local female. She was pretty and cheap, but the ride was
lousy
> and I got the clap.
>
> chuck

Point taken :)

"Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@h0tmail.c0m> wrote in message
> Frank Booth Snr wrote:
> > Like others I have been inundated with adverts from this company
> > http://www.software-disks.com that sell MS products dirt cheap. Eg, they
> > sell OEM Windows XP Pro SP2 for $80. I was considering buying a system
disk
> > from them. But has anyone had problems when purchasing from this
company.
> > Are they pirates or is the stuff genuine?
> >

> Actually, if you were to clicked the links provided and then read
> the site's self-contradictory,broken English "FAQ," you'd probably
> have known it was a scam. Full OEM CDs that are full retail versions
> that are legal as backup media? Shipped from eastern Europe? All CDs
> shipped with the serial number included in a text file? Definitely
> not legitimate CDs.
>
> Those people who have reported back here after making purchases
> from several of such web sites have indicated that what they actually
> received was a copy of the widely-known-to-be-pirated Volume Licensed
> version of WinXP Pro. They couldn't even install SP1 without being
> informed that the had an invalid Product Key. And then there were the
> mysterious charges that started appearing on some of their credit
cards....

If I wasn't suspicious about it, I wouldn't have raised the question. My
suspicions were raised when they said you could not register with any
manufacturer, or anyone for that matter Whenever I read anything going
cheap from Eastern Europe, it's usually bad news. I just wanted to know if
anyone had dealt with this organisation. I haven't parted with my money,
nor intend to, so no harm has been done.

Don't be silly. Eastern Europeans are the most trustworthy people on this planet. M$'s main programmers are from Hungary and you will find in many books citing hungarian notation of naming variables because these programers ran out of variables so they invented their own. C & C++ are case sensitive so MyVariable and myvariable are two different variables (the first being in hungarian notation)!!!

I buy and download software from everywhere and I have had no problems. The site you have mentioned is familiar to me but I haven't had any dealings with them as yet but I shall certainly contact them to see if they have English versions of software and whether they are prepared to negotiate with me to distribute through me t the english speaking world so that people like Leythos could have assurance. There is nothing wrong in buying pirated copies as long as they work properly.

On Tue, 24 May 2005 23:59:59 +0100, "Kevin Brunt (Fat B@stard)!!"
<k.brunt@ccs.bbk.ac.uk> top posted:

>Leythos wrote:
>>
>> In article <42922940@212.67.96.135>, frank@oldman.com says...
>> > Like others I have been inundated with adverts from this company
>> > http://www.software-disks.com that sell MS products dirt cheap. Eg, they
>> > sell OEM Windows XP Pro SP2 for $80. I was considering buying a system disk
>> > from them. But has anyone had problems when purchasing from this company.
>> > Are they pirates or is the stuff genuine?
>>
>> You would be just as safe if you posted a couple credit card numbers,
>> your home address and your social security number in this public forum.

>Don't be silly. Eastern Europeans are the most trustworthy people on this planet. M$'s main programmers are from Hungary and you will find in many books citing hungarian notation of naming variables because these programers ran out of variables so they invented their own. C & C++ are case sensitive so MyVariable and myvariable are two different variables (the first being in hungarian notation)!!!
>
>I buy and download software from everywhere and I have had no problems. The site you have mentioned is familiar to me but I haven't had any dealings with them as yet but I shall certainly contact them to see if they have English versions of software and whether they are prepared to negotiate with me to distribute through me t the english speaking world so that people like Leythos could have assurance. There is nothing wrong in buying pirated copies as long as they work properly.

I doubt that I'd be inclined to trust you either.

In article <7379B934.4FF6932E@ccs.bbk.ac.uk>, k.brunt@ccs.bbk.ac.uk
says...

> Don't be silly. Eastern Europeans are the most trustworthy people on this planet. M$'s main programmers are from Hungary and you will find in many books citing hungarian notation of naming variables because these programers ran out of variables so they invented their own. C & C++ are case sensitive so MyVariable and myvariable are two different variables (the first being in hungarian notation)!!!
>
> I buy and download software from everywhere and I have had no problems. The site you have mentioned is familiar to me but I haven't had any dealings with them as yet but I shall certainly contact them to see if they have English versions of software and whether they are prepared to negotiate with me to distribute through me t the english speaking world so that people like Leythos could have assurance. There is nothing wrong in buying pirated copies as long as they work
properly.

And do you think that anyone would trust a recommendation from a lamer
that can't even properly post to Usenet?

It's not the pirated software, that may be filled with viruses or
trojans or even key-loggers, that's the problem, it's giving a credit
card number to an unethical entity and having any thought that the
credit card is safe with them.

<k.brunt@ccs.bbk.ac.uk> wrote:

>Don't be silly. Eastern Europeans are the most trustworthy people on this planet. M$'s main programmers are from Hungary and you will find in many >books citing hungarian notation of naming variables because these programers ran out of variables so they invented their own. C & C++ are case sensitive >so MyVariable and myvariable are two different variables (the first being in hungarian notation)!!!
>
>I buy and download software from everywhere and I have had no problems. The site you have mentioned is familiar to me but I haven't had any dealings >with them as yet but I shall certainly contact them to see if they have English versions of software and whether they are prepared to negotiate with me to >distribute through me t the english speaking world so that people like Leythos could have assurance. There is nothing wrong in buying pirated copies as >long as they work properly.

You say "There is nothing wrong in buying pirated copies as long as
they work properly."

Is there nothing wrong with stealing your car, as long as it is in
good repair?
Is there nothing wrong with robbing your bank, as long as the tellers
all do their jobs?
Is there nothing wrong with raping your wife, as long as she doesn't
complain loudly?
Is there nothing wrong with kidnapping your kids, as long as they have
fun?

Like all crimes, there is ALWAYS something wrong with receiving stolen
goods such as pirated software, whether it works properly or not --
especially when you KNOW the software is pirated. Not only that, it
is always wrong to receive stolen good such as pirated software,
whether you feel guilty about it or not.

The fact is, if you commit a crime, you are guilty of it, whether you
believe or feel that it is wrong or not.

I don't know about Hungary, but here in the United States, it is a
crime to receive stolen goods if you know or suspect that the goods
are stolen. Committing a crime is NEVER right. Not only are you
guilty before the Law, you are guilty before God, Who is your Final
Judge. He wrote it succinctly in the 10 Commandments: "You shall not
steal"

Donald L McDaniel
Please reply to the original thread
so that others may be instructed or informed