Hello
If i were to turn off virtual memory ( disable virtual memory) and reboot
then run disk defragmenter and then re enable virtual memory will all the
files that were in the swap file become scattered misc files or stay as a
cache so that when i re enable they will be "swap files" again......I dont
want (swap)files to appear everywhere that i have to delete
Thanks Shaun B

pagefile.sys will have zero bytes at boot when u disable it.
at least mine does.
I';; occasionally do that before defrag
maybe you might want to take a look at system internals sysinternals.com
page defrag & contig programs.

Might maybe search microsoft for for the benchmark'ers defrag....
%windir%\system32\cmd.exe /k "Rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks"

"Shaun B" <fairmontxabc@bigpond.com> wrote in message
> Hello
> If i were to turn off virtual memory ( disable virtual memory) and reboot
> then run disk defragmenter and then re enable virtual memory will all the
> files that were in the swap file become scattered misc files or stay as a
> cache so that when i re enable they will be "swap files" again......I dont
> want (swap)files to appear everywhere that i have to delete
> Thanks Shaun B

"Shaun B" <fairmontxabc@bigpond.com> wrote:

>Hello
>If i were to turn off virtual memory ( disable virtual memory) and reboot
>then run disk defragmenter and then re enable virtual memory will all the
>files that were in the swap file become scattered misc files or stay as a
>cache so that when i re enable they will be "swap files" again......I dont
>want (swap)files to appear everywhere that i have to delete
>Thanks Shaun B

Swapfile fragmentation as a performance issue is right up there with
Santa Claus, Easter Bunny, and the Tooth Fairy - lost of hype but not
much susbstance.

Files are not put into the swapfile - memory pages are. Memory pages
are 4kb in size. And these memory pages can be from any file - data
file, application program, windows component, device driver, DLL,
whatever. The only criteria are:
- the memory page is not flagged as being not pageable.
- the memory page is relatively inactive.
- their is a need to free up RAM for other, currently more important
tasks.

So the items paged out at any one time could be from anything and
everything that is in RAM at the time, and they will likely all be
written out to consecutive clusters in the swap file. Note that the
4kb default cluster size for NTFS drives matches exactly with the 4kb
memory page size. This is not a coincidence.

These items will remain in the swapfile unless and until they are
needed again. And when they are needed there is almost a zero chance
that what is needed will correspond in any way to what was paged out
in any single pageout operation. So the loading back in will require
access to several different locations on the hard drive, regardless of
whether or not the swapfile is fragemented.

If you are using the swap file (paging file to be more politically
correct) to such an extent that fragmentation is possibly becoming a
performance issue then what you really need to do is to add more RAM
so as to reduce, or even eliminate entirely, the need to move active
memory content from RAM to the paging file/swap file.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP