2 Windows XP

I have 2 versions of Windows XP Home on my computer and it is really fouling
things up. How do I get rid of 1 and bring the computer back to the way it
was???
I'm afraid to do anything without some input first .
3 answers Last reply
More about windows

    Click start.........run
    type in MSCONFIG
    go to the boot.ini tab
    hit the Check all boot paths.........if you truly have 2 installations
    highlight one and hit set as default.
    Write down the location and name of this default XP startup.
    OK your way out.
    Open Explorer and find the XP directory that is NOT set as default.
    Delete it.
    Find Boot.ini in the root of C and open with Notepad.
    Delete the line that refers to the deleted XP............save and close.
    reboot
    peterk

    safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in
    sideways, chocolate in one hand, margarita in the other, body thoroughly
    used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"
    "kem651" <kem651@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have 2 versions of Windows XP Home on my computer and it is really
    >fouling
    > things up. How do I get rid of 1 and bring the computer back to the way it
    > was???
    > I'm afraid to do anything without some input first .

    Thanks for your response. I will give it a shot. I really need to get this
    fixed but don't have all the knowledge to do it. I'll let you know if it
    works.

    Thanks ,
    kem651

    "peterk" wrote:

    > Click start.........run
    > type in MSCONFIG
    > go to the boot.ini tab
    > hit the Check all boot paths.........if you truly have 2 installations
    > highlight one and hit set as default.
    > Write down the location and name of this default XP startup.
    > OK your way out.
    > Open Explorer and find the XP directory that is NOT set as default.
    > Delete it.
    > Find Boot.ini in the root of C and open with Notepad.
    > Delete the line that refers to the deleted XP............save and close.
    > reboot
    > peterk
    >

    > --
    > "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving
    > safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in
    > sideways, chocolate in one hand, margarita in the other, body thoroughly
    > used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"
    > "kem651" <kem651@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I have 2 versions of Windows XP Home on my computer and it is really
    > >fouling
    > > things up. How do I get rid of 1 and bring the computer back to the way it
    > > was???
    > > I'm afraid to do anything without some input first .

    sounds like a mess. It coudl be win xp on 2 different partitions or in
    2 diff directories on teh same partition.
    You wnat ti back to how ti was before? Why not just wipe everything off
    and start again?

    To do that, one way is to use partition magic. But another way, is to
    boot off the win xp cd, that lets you delete partitions. Jsut delete
    everything.

    put data on CDs first.

Computers Windows XP