WinXP Pro: Limited accounts not working.

I'm trying to create a limited account for web browsing, etc.
Creating the account with my regular admin account seems to work
properly but whenever I try to log on a limited account (or the Guest
accout, which I enabled to test) it sits on "Applying personalized
settings" or whatever for far too long and then goes to a completely
blank pale blue screen. Nothing else happens. I can CTRL-ALT-DEL and
bring up the task manager but nothing else.

I created a second Admin account for testing purposes and that account
can long on normally. So the problem appears to be specifically with
limited accounts. The only error I see in the Event Log is a Warning
with the limited accounts user name on it..

Warning: MsiInstaller. Failed to connect to server. Error:
0x8000400.

However, some googling seemed to indicate that the MsiInstaller
sometimes returns this error message even when functioning properly so
I don't know if it is the real problem.

Any help would be appreciated. Not being able to use limited accounts
is obviously sub optimal.

-David
3 answers Last reply
More about winxp limited accounts working

    The connection may not be shared.

    Open "Network Connections" folder, and run the "add a new connection" wizard, setting it to be default, and share with all users.

    (or) Rightclick the connection icon in the 'Network Connections' folder Properties, Networking tab, TCP/IP protocol properties,
    General tab, Advanced button, General tab, select "use default gateway on remote network".

    The Guest account can never OPEN a connection to the inet, by design, and as expected behavior. It must use an existing connection
    opened by another account.

    --

    Mark L. Ferguson
    FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
    "David Bilek" <dtbilek@comcast.net> wrote in message news:t6d491tch5jct57du4kq59v3ad1nao06kd@4ax.com...
    > I'm trying to create a limited account for web browsing, etc.
    > Creating the account with my regular admin account seems to work
    > properly but whenever I try to log on a limited account (or the Guest
    > accout, which I enabled to test) it sits on "Applying personalized
    > settings" or whatever for far too long and then goes to a completely
    > blank pale blue screen. Nothing else happens. I can CTRL-ALT-DEL and
    > bring up the task manager but nothing else.
    >
    > I created a second Admin account for testing purposes and that account
    > can long on normally. So the problem appears to be specifically with
    > limited accounts. The only error I see in the Event Log is a Warning
    > with the limited accounts user name on it..
    >
    > Warning: MsiInstaller. Failed to connect to server. Error:
    > 0x8000400.
    >
    > However, some googling seemed to indicate that the MsiInstaller
    > sometimes returns this error message even when functioning properly so
    > I don't know if it is the real problem.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated. Not being able to use limited accounts
    > is obviously sub optimal.
    >
    > -David

    I fear I have been rather unclear. When I say "log on", I do not mean
    "log on to the internet". I mean "log on to Windows". I can't log on
    to Windows with limited or guest accounts, it just hangs on a blue
    screen; No start menu, no taskbar, no icons. Just a pale blue
    screen. Admin accounts can log on to Windows normally!

    Thanks for the help.

    -David

    "Mark L. Ferguson" <marfer_mvpREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >The connection may not be shared.
    >
    >Open "Network Connections" folder, and run the "add a new connection" wizard, setting it to be default, and share with all users.
    >
    >(or) Rightclick the connection icon in the 'Network Connections' folder Properties, Networking tab, TCP/IP protocol properties,
    >General tab, Advanced button, General tab, select "use default gateway on remote network".
    >
    >The Guest account can never OPEN a connection to the inet, by design, and as expected behavior. It must use an existing connection
    >opened by another account.
    >
    >--
    >
    >Mark L. Ferguson
    >FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
    >marfers notes for windows xp http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/chatNotes.htm
    >.
    >"David Bilek" <dtbilek@comcast.net> wrote in message news:t6d491tch5jct57du4kq59v3ad1nao06kd@4ax.com...
    >> I'm trying to create a limited account for web browsing, etc.
    >> Creating the account with my regular admin account seems to work
    >> properly but whenever I try to log on a limited account (or the Guest
    >> accout, which I enabled to test) it sits on "Applying personalized
    >> settings" or whatever for far too long and then goes to a completely
    >> blank pale blue screen. Nothing else happens. I can CTRL-ALT-DEL and
    >> bring up the task manager but nothing else.
    >>
    >> I created a second Admin account for testing purposes and that account
    >> can long on normally. So the problem appears to be specifically with
    >> limited accounts. The only error I see in the Event Log is a Warning
    >> with the limited accounts user name on it..
    >>
    >> Warning: MsiInstaller. Failed to connect to server. Error:
    >> 0x8000400.
    >>
    >> However, some googling seemed to indicate that the MsiInstaller
    >> sometimes returns this error message even when functioning properly so
    >> I don't know if it is the real problem.
    >>
    >> Any help would be appreciated. Not being able to use limited accounts
    >> is obviously sub optimal.
    >>
    >> -David

    If creating a new account fails, try SFC.

    To repair all system files, go to Start/Run, and type (or paste in): SFC /SCANNOW (see: Description of Windows XP and Windows Server
    2003 System File Checker (Sfc.exe): http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310747 )

    --

    "David Bilek" <dtbilek@comcast.net> wrote in message news:4h67915helhgd8b8ra1l6nfsjrssbvo7u4@4ax.com...
    >I fear I have been rather unclear. When I say "log on", I do not mean
    > "log on to the internet". I mean "log on to Windows". I can't log on
    > to Windows with limited or guest accounts, it just hangs on a blue
    > screen; No start menu, no taskbar, no icons. Just a pale blue
    > screen. Admin accounts can log on to Windows normally!
    >
    > Thanks for the help.
    >
    > -David
    >

    > "Mark L. Ferguson" <marfer_mvpREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>The connection may not be shared.
    >>
    >>Open "Network Connections" folder, and run the "add a new connection" wizard, setting it to be default, and share with all users.
    >>
    >>(or) Rightclick the connection icon in the 'Network Connections' folder Properties, Networking tab, TCP/IP protocol properties,
    >>General tab, Advanced button, General tab, select "use default gateway on remote network".
    >>
    >>The Guest account can never OPEN a connection to the inet, by design, and as expected behavior. It must use an existing connection
    >>opened by another account.
    >>
    >>--
    >>
    >>Mark L. Ferguson
    >>FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
    >>marfers notes for windows xp http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/chatNotes.htm
    >>.
    >>"David Bilek" <dtbilek@comcast.net> wrote in message news:t6d491tch5jct57du4kq59v3ad1nao06kd@4ax.com...
    >>> I'm trying to create a limited account for web browsing, etc.
    >>> Creating the account with my regular admin account seems to work
    >>> properly but whenever I try to log on a limited account (or the Guest
    >>> accout, which I enabled to test) it sits on "Applying personalized
    >>> settings" or whatever for far too long and then goes to a completely
    >>> blank pale blue screen. Nothing else happens. I can CTRL-ALT-DEL and
    >>> bring up the task manager but nothing else.
    >>>
    >>> I created a second Admin account for testing purposes and that account
    >>> can long on normally. So the problem appears to be specifically with
    >>> limited accounts. The only error I see in the Event Log is a Warning
    >>> with the limited accounts user name on it..
    >>>
    >>> Warning: MsiInstaller. Failed to connect to server. Error:
    >>> 0x8000400.
    >>>
    >>> However, some googling seemed to indicate that the MsiInstaller
    >>> sometimes returns this error message even when functioning properly so
    >>> I don't know if it is the real problem.
    >>>
    >>> Any help would be appreciated. Not being able to use limited accounts
    >>> is obviously sub optimal.
    >>>
    >>> -David

Windows XP