weezldogg

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2004
I'm buying a new video card to replace my Radeon 9600SE (GASP!!) and this time I want to make sure I get a good card. Is the only difference between this card -

http://www.allstarshop.com/shop/simprod.asp?pid=9272&ad=pwatch

- and a 6800 ultra 256 the memory? I was having trouble finding the exact specs (pixel pipelines, etc.) on it and I don't want to be disappointed. And if the only difference is the memory, does it really matter if I spend $100 or so extra on the 256? Because I'm straining myself just to for $300.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

hxhky

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2004
No, memory is not the only difference. This is a NON ULTRA version, and an Ultra is ...... ULTRA. It's the least expensive and slowest of the three 6800s. You can find out the exact difference from many places, e.g. nvidia.com, I presume. I think you can get a non-ultra version for less than that price. Check out Newegg, I remember they have some better prices for that card.

sweatlaserxp

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
6800 Ultras are still in short supply and should set you back no less than $550 USD. If you are willing to spend another $80-100 then get the 6800GT. In price-to-performance the GT beats the Ultra.

<A HREF="http://atomfilms.shockwave.com/landing/landingIndex.jsp?id=dumb01&mature=accept" target="_new">DumbLand</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'd like to know how you ended up with (GASP!!) a 9600SE in the first place!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

weezldogg

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2004
I got one to replace my Kyro2 (surprisingly good card) and just didn't pay enough attention - mainly, I somehow managed to miss the whole 64meg bandwith thing. =/
I've decided to buy a 6800 gt 256. Now I just have to figure out which manufacturer, since they all seem pretty much the same to me. The ones I was tenatively looking at were PNY, Leadtek, Albatross or XFX. Over half the sites I've looked at they seem to be out of stock right now, so it's a little limited. Any suggestions? I'm not a video card guru, if you couldn't tell, so all advice would be appreciated!

weezldogg

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2004
The 6800gt is? Not from what I've seen in the video card guides here. In most benchmarks it's not a whole lot under the 6800 ultra.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
that's, 64-bit. Once you know why, it's easy. If you had a 6 wire cord with 1 power, 1 ground, and 4 data wires, it would be 4-bits (because it uses 4 wires).

The rational is, if you have 4 wires, you send 4 bits of data per transfer. 2 transfers would be 8 bits, or one byte. And using that logic, you can calculate cool things like bandwidth if you know how wide the path is (bits), the clockspeed (MHz), and the transfer multiplier (4x, DDR, etc).

The Radeon 9600 used a 128-bit pathway to RAM, while the 9600SE used a 64-bit pathway. Which means the 9600SE has 1/2 the memory performance of the not-so-happy 9600 non-pro.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>