MS Office Message Popping Up

We are a public library with 6 Windows XP PC’s for public use. Each of these
has MS Office installed. Sometimes a message pops up saying

Microsoft Office 2000 Professional

The feature you are trying to use is on a CD-ROM or other removable disk
that is not available.

Insert the Microsoft Office 2000 Professional disk and click OK.

The strange thing is, this happens when nobody is using MS Office. This
message often pops up at startup, or when the PC is just sitting there.

I tried doing Detect and Repair on two of the PC’s but the problem is still
there.

What can you tell me?

Thanks

--
Wayne
1 answer Last reply

    OFF2000: Windows Installer Appears Every Time a Program Is Started
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q265194

    Windows Installer Appears Every Time I Start an Application

    The Windows Installer is a global application used to install many Microsoft
    products, including Office 2000 and Office XP, and is even available to
    third-party developers to include with their programs.
    Unfortunately, it's fraught with bugs, one of which is its tendency to
    appear every time you start Office (or some other programs) and begin a
    reinstallation or reconfiguration process. All you'll see is the "Please
    Wait" screen, followed by a progress bar. The problem is related to the This
    feature will be installed when required option (sometimes called "Install on
    Demand"), used when installing some applications. In essense, Windows
    Installer starts to install a "feature" when it is needed, even though it
    may be already installed.

    Unfortunately, but not surprisingly, Microsoft will not acknowledge that
    there is a serious flaw in thier installer software. Here are the solutions
    we've come up with so far:

    Solution #1:

    ? Reinstall the application in question, and don't choose the This feature
    will be installed when required for any of the optional components.

    However, this may not solve the problem (which is the very bug we're talking
    about). We're currently looking for a way to fix the problem properly, but
    in the mean time, here's how to turn off the "feature:"

    Solution #2

    ? Open the Group Policy Editor by selecting Run from the Start Menu, and
    typing gpedit.msc. (If the file is missing, run mmc.exe instead. Then,
    select Add/Remove Snap-in from the Console menu, click Add, and double-click
    Group Policy. Click Finish, then Close, then Ok.)
    ? Expand the following branches:
    Local Computer Policy \ Computer Configuration \ Administrative Templates \
    Windows Components \ Windows Installer
    ? Double-click Disable Windows Installer to your right, click Enabled, and
    choose Always from the list. Click Ok when you're done.
    ? The change will take effect immediately. If you added a snap in, as
    described above, you don't need to "save changes to the console."

    ? Note: If you encounter an error about the Administrator Policy the next
    time you try to install an application, you'll have to re-enable the Windows
    Installer temporarily.

    Solution #3 (for Office 2000 only):

    ? Run the Registry Editor (REGEDIT.EXE).
    ? Expand the branches to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ Software\ Microsoft\ Office\
    9.0\ Common.
    ? Delete the UserData value on your right, and close the Registry Editor.
    ? The next time you start an Office application, it will ask for your
    username, but shouldn't bother you again.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:3A88A713-B16D-4C8A-8C33-F4732989B5CA@microsoft.com,
    Wayne <Wayne@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > We are a public library with 6 Windows XP PC’s for public use. Each of
    > these has MS Office installed. Sometimes a message pops up saying
    >
    > Microsoft Office 2000 Professional
    >
    > The feature you are trying to use is on a CD-ROM or other removable disk
    > that is not available.
    >
    > Insert the Microsoft Office 2000 Professional disk and click OK.
    >
    > The strange thing is, this happens when nobody is using MS Office. This
    > message often pops up at startup, or when the PC is just sitting there.
    >
    > I tried doing Detect and Repair on two of the PC’s but the problem is
    > still there.
    >
    > What can you tell me?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > --
    > Wayne

Removable Disk Microsoft Office Windows XP