x700 pro or 6600GT??

dd_viper

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2004
ahh i cant deside! building a comp for friend and trying to figure out what to get him graphics card wise. im going to get a nforce4 mobo, A64 3000+, and geil dual channel 512 (2x256).

he likes to idea of being able to have sli compatability <b> if </b> (hes not really sure if he wants it just likes how its availible on this card if wanted). he wants to upgrade later. he also likes that the x700 comes with 256 of ddr3, instead of the 6600's 128 ddr3, at the same price.

i already have all the parts, except mobo and gpu, so no need for any suggestions on those.

heres the x700 pro
<A HREF="http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=321310" target="_new"> x700 pro </A>

and the 6600GT
<A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-145-098&depa=0" target="_new"> 6600GT </A>

which should i get for him?

Homer: (crying) ahhh i dont remember the last time i cried like this!
Lisa: When u put ur shirt on backwards
Homer: (crying) o ya, (crying) the tag chafed my skin (crying)

RichPLS

Champion
X700

<font color=red><pre>_____________________________________
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
according to ur links, i have no choice buy to say x700pro ???? both are x700pros :wink:

but a 6600GT is a better card. For comaprison, X700XT shld be used. Close competition for both. No clear winner, but 6600GT edges it out.

:tongue: <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/priyajeet/fing.jpg" target="_new"><i><font color=red>Very funny, Scotty.</font color=red><font color=blue> Now beam down my clothes.</font color=blue></i></A> :tongue: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by priyajeet on 11/11/04 04:58 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

dd_viper

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2004
lol whoops, was comparing prices and selected wrong tab! ok fixed now. ok if it were a x700XT which should i go with

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
the GT

:tongue: <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/priyajeet/fing.jpg" target="_new"><i><font color=red>Very funny, Scotty.</font color=red><font color=blue> Now beam down my clothes.</font color=blue></i></A> :tongue:

dd_viper

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2004
mmk thanks :lol:

SLI leaves you but one option, and keep an eye out for a Gainward GF6600GT, they are supposed to come ouy with a 256mb GDDR3 version (Oc'd too). There's also to be a 256mb ABIT version of the X700XT.

Overall, they are very close cards, the only tiping point in this case IMO would be the SLI desire.

Stange thing is that the 256mb difference does make itself felt at the highest resolutions, so it can be argued that the GF6600GT, X700XT, X700PRO all have their strong points, and can all take the performance crown dependeing on which game, and what settings.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

dd_viper

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2004
how much will this gainword cost? trying to keep the price in the $200 area to keep this thing under budget.

Probably a fair bit more than the MSRP$200 of the vanilla cards. Gainward is like an SVT/AMG/RUFF/etc. (to use a car analogy) high end tweaker card, and you pay the extra for these handy nice features. Just like ABIT's 256mb X700XT is planned to be between $249-299 from what I read. $249 for the Gainward or the ABIT I'd pay for but $299 gets it too close to the likely prices of the GF6800 and the upcoming cheap 0.11 replacements for the lower end top cards (R430/NV41), which will not a big jump from the X700XT and GF6600GT, even with faster memory, they will peter out at max with that weak-ass 128bit $h1t.

So for the $200 range, then you are likely stuck with a vanilla GF6600GT, which will be somewhat hampered at very high settings, but maybe by if the person in question never goes above 1280x1024, then the impact may be somewhat minimal (although at very high AA/AF it still creeps in a bit even at 1280x1024). Of course SLI offer a partial solution to some of these limitations, but it will still cost more moeny, although later in the life-cycle of the rig in question.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

cefoskey

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2003
ATI is going to have dual graphics capability in Q1 '05 so keep that in mind.

PS. Id seriously recommend 1GB of dual channel on that rig

"Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my drive?"
P4 3.0C HT, Intel D865GBF, 1GB Crucial PC3200 DDR, 2x WD 36GB Raptor 10kRPM, BBA Radeon 9800PRO, SB Audigy, Hauppage WinTV

dd_viper

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2004
price goes way over when upping to 1gig of mem. it would put another $100 or so and he is already over budget with all this.

Wicked_Spider

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2004
well maybe its worth waiting a couple of more days when HL2 benchmarks will be released.

i'd personaly go with the 6600 GT for now -got the impression that they slightly better than x700 right now