Dell E173FP monitor

Hello

I just bought a Dell E173FP monitor. I was wondering about the display.

On some web sites, the site fills the screen, on others the page will be
to the left with lots of blank area tothe right. Is this normal? I
find it rather distracting.

I'm not sure of settings, so maybe someone can help me out.

thanks
Beth
2 answers Last reply
More about dell e173fp monitor

    "bstern" <bstern@rochester.rr.com> wrote in message news:ZTsXd.79457$H05.42376@twister.nyroc.rr.com...

    > I just bought a Dell E173FP monitor. I was wondering about the display.
    >
    > On some web sites, the site fills the screen, on others the page will be
    > to the left with lots of blank area tothe right. Is this normal? I
    > find it rather distracting.

    You seem to be describing normal behavior. Some websites are
    designed to flow or stretch to fill the available width of your browser
    window. Other websites are designed to be of a certain, fixed width.
    If the page is wider than what your browser can display, you'll normally
    see a horizontal scroll bar which you can use to make the hidden content
    visible. If the page fits perfectly within your browser window, you'll see
    no horizontal scroll bar and no blank areas. If the page is narrower than
    what your browser can display, there will be a blank area somewhere
    (on the left, on the right, or on both sides).

    Fixed-width layouts are popular. Since alot of people are still running at
    800x600 screen resolution, and sites want to reach the largest audience
    possible, they choose a layout width than can be displayed within a
    maximized browser running on a 800x600 res system. However, most
    people are actually running at 1024x768 or greater, so those sites won't
    fill a wide browser window on their system... they'll see the blank areas
    you seem to be describing.

    User N wrote:

    > "bstern" <bstern@rochester.rr.com> wrote in message
    >
    >> I just bought a Dell E173FP monitor. I was wondering about the display.
    >> On some web sites, the site fills the screen, on others the page will
    >> be to the left with lots of blank area tothe right. Is this normal?
    >> I find it rather distracting.
    >

    > You seem to be describing normal behavior. Some websites are
    > designed to flow or stretch to fill the available width of your browser
    > window. Other websites are designed to be of a certain, fixed width.
    > If the page is wider than what your browser can display, you'll normally
    > see a horizontal scroll bar which you can use to make the hidden content
    > visible. If the page fits perfectly within your browser window, you'll see
    > no horizontal scroll bar and no blank areas. If the page is narrower than
    > what your browser can display, there will be a blank area somewhere
    > (on the left, on the right, or on both sides).
    >
    > Fixed-width layouts are popular. Since alot of people are still running at
    > 800x600 screen resolution, and sites want to reach the largest audience
    > possible, they choose a layout width than can be displayed within a
    > maximized browser running on a 800x600 res system. However, most
    > people are actually running at 1024x768 or greater, so those sites won't
    > fill a wide browser window on their system... they'll see the blank areas
    > you seem to be describing.

    Thanks so much for responding. Now I know there is nothing wrong with
    the monitor. :~)

Dell Monitors Computers Displays