Sign in with
Your question

Please take a moment to read this.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 12, 2004 5:54:49 AM

I, and a couple of others that I know of, would like Slava's "Enhancing system performance" sticky thread removed.

I would like to hear a <b>yay</b> or <b>nay</b> out of everyone who post's here, so that I can have Fredi look it over.

I dont particularly feel that it's a bad sticky, but this forum is supposed to be about graphics cards, and Slava's thread does not pertain to this topic.

We probably should not stop at that particular sticky alone, but discuss all of the sticky's we have up there, my own included. We should use our sticky's like semi valuable community property, and everyone should be happy with what they see.

If I can dedicate my own sticky space, towards a larger community project, then I would be happy to do so:) 

<b>If we can first, lets vote yes or no on removing Slava's sticky...if you like it there, dont be afraid to vote in favor of it, m'kay?</b>

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=2216718" target="_new"><b>3DMark03</b></A>
<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=127163" target="_new"><b>3DMark05</b></A>

More about : moment read

November 12, 2004 6:44:54 AM

so yay is for what - to sprt ur claim or to sprt his sticky? and nay for what ?
u gotta specify that. :wink:

I havent read that sticky at all. So yes to remove from my side.

:tongue: <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/priyajeet/fing.jpg" target="_new"><i><font color=red>Very funny, Scotty.</font color=red><font color=blue> Now beam down my clothes.</font color=blue></i></A> :tongue: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by priyajeet on 11/12/04 02:55 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
Related resources
November 12, 2004 7:59:18 AM

well, that space can be used for something better. ie more graphic cards related. But then again, what better thing that will be, has to be decided. Maybe u guys shld come up with something and others can help/pool in. Whats exactly is this place lacks ? Maybe technology - like the stuff grape mentioned in the feedback to Lars in the other thread ???

:tongue: <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/priyajeet/fing.jpg" target="_new"><i><font color=red>Very funny, Scotty.</font color=red><font color=blue> Now beam down my clothes.</font color=blue></i></A> :tongue:
November 12, 2004 8:11:20 AM

I think it should be removed or moved to elsewhere. Mainly because he's not posting here anymore, and this sticky has nothing to do with graphics card.

So my decision: <b>yay</b>

------------
<font color=orange><b><A HREF="http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox" target="_new">Rediscover the web</A></b></font color=orange>
November 12, 2004 11:14:48 AM

YAY, Not that it wasnt a good effort or some decent info, but its outdated, technology is advancing at rapid rates and we need to keep up.

A idea for an area of the guide to include finding good beta nvidia drivers and how to find them and test them would be a good addition imo. Im sure lots of people who dont know much use the ones on the nvidia website and dont realize they can get much better performance with the more recent choices. (The laughs on me, im using the standard nvidia drivers right now =\ )

Im far from the most learned person here, but I would be willing to help participate in construction.

Asus p4c800 Deluxe,1 Gig Mushkin PC3200 Dual Channel Level II V2,Pentium 4 3.0 512k 800fsb HT, Thermaltake Xaser III, Thermaltake Spark 7+, Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum Pro, eVGA GeForce 6800 GT<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Rx7000 on 11/12/04 08:16 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
November 12, 2004 11:20:40 AM

;) 

Asus p4c800 Deluxe,1 Gig Mushkin PC3200 Dual Channel Level II V2,Pentium 4 3.0 512k 800fsb HT, Thermaltake Xaser III, Thermaltake Spark 7+, Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum Pro, eVGA GeForce 6800 GT
November 12, 2004 11:29:47 AM

Have not read it. YAY.
November 12, 2004 11:37:14 AM

I want it removed...so YAY.

As for the rest, I say leave yours (nobody asks about pixel and vertex shaders...either they read it and don't have questions or nobody cares, but at least it's about graphics cards) and cut GGA's down to only the essentials (and don't make it an open sticky, have only GGA be able to modify it). Above all, I really hate scrolling through stuff (I know I don't post here much anymore--senior year sucks) just to read the new posts (or after going up a level, etc.).

Maxtor disgraces the six letters that make Matrox.
November 12, 2004 1:47:01 PM

yay to remove, basically because it's OT for this forum.

November 12, 2004 2:09:45 PM

Yeah remove it, its getting out of date and with no one to update it it'll just get worse and worse.
November 12, 2004 2:33:17 PM

I am ready for active part in gettin something new up there.

I like the way u say "circle is now complete" - funny.
Now I am the master. :wink:

:tongue: <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/priyajeet/fing.jpg" target="_new"><i><font color=red>Very funny, Scotty.</font color=red><font color=blue> Now beam down my clothes.</font color=blue></i></A> :tongue:
November 12, 2004 2:59:19 PM

All it does is take up space. Honestly, a lot of Slava's recommendations aren't worth the effort- many of them don't pertain to drivers or graphics cards. He could have written a better guide with half the amount of text. A fresh install of Windows with the latest drivers should be enough for most gamers.

My vote: <b>yay</b>, bag it.

<A HREF="http://atomfilms.shockwave.com/landing/landingIndex.jsp..." target="_new">DumbLand</A>
November 12, 2004 5:19:30 PM

I say yay on removal of sticky

<i><font color=red>Only an overclocker can make a computer into a convectional oven.</i></font color=red>
a b U Graphics card
November 12, 2004 8:01:28 PM

Yank the sucker.

There's alot of stuff that is patently incorrect, it is outdated, and I would prefer something that truely gets at the heart of the issues we have, not theories about RAID, etc.

The Fastwrites section goes against my and others' views of what would be best. That may be personal op-onion, but that alone just makes me say, 'WHAT!?!'

So Yay, if yay is to pull it off the stick list. We can always link to it in the Buyer's Guide (if Spitfire is willing) and then have it be a post that slips along into the archives. It's still there, and ccesible, but just not a sticky. Not sure if Fredi can do that, but that would be my recommendation.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil: 
November 12, 2004 8:10:03 PM

Keep the buyers guide, kick the rest.

I think the Catalyst guide is getting a bit lengthy....

"Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my drive?"
P4 3.0C HT, Intel D865GBF, 1GB Crucial PC3200 DDR, 2x WD 36GB Raptor 10kRPM, BBA Radeon 9800PRO, SB Audigy, Hauppage WinTV
November 12, 2004 8:11:09 PM

nope, keep catalyst by updating it. i think grape was planning to do that.

a b U Graphics card
November 12, 2004 8:35:35 PM

Yeah I was planning on updating it this weekend once the 4.11 were released (knew it was sometime soon [4.12 is scheduled for mid Dec.]).

I am a little dissapointed in that I havent' been able to get a new board and card (with the Xseries features), and I am itching to add memory simply to bring my current rig up to speed a bit for HL2 and some basic DVD-ripping etc. Hopefully new mobos will appear before too long (I really like the idea of the ATI/ULI board with Azalia Audio that the InQ has been talking about)

The Catalyst Comparo can stay or go, heck people can create a new thread for that too. Believe you me, it's not a vanity thing and not an easy task so... whatever.

EDIT: BTW, I did update it in October, I just forgot to change the Title (DumbA$$! :eek:  ). I would like to add the evolution and DNA drivers too. I also need to update the links to other Catalyst reviews. Maybe a culling is in order as well, I was just hoping to have a new card/system by now so that the next batch could be FRESH.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil: 
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by TheGreatGrapeApe on 11/12/04 03:39 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
November 13, 2004 1:33:15 AM

Looks like the Yays got the job done.
November 13, 2004 1:34:55 AM

What about one big sticky with all the info in it???

Signature (up to 200 characters). You may use <font color=blue><b>Markup</b></font color=blue> in your signature
November 13, 2004 2:41:07 AM

I want the Buyer's guide removed, THG had a article on it and its is much better and besides i can't update it and no one else does anyways, its a half arse job anyways.

I bet $5 GW is probably first one to agree with me :D 

RIP Block Heater....HELLO P4~~~~~
120% nVidia Fanboy+119% Money Fanboy
GeForce 6800 Ultra--> The Way we thought FX 5800Ultra is meant to be played
THGC's resident Asian and nVboy :D 
November 13, 2004 12:25:25 PM

Maybe the time should come soon where we should consider having a stickey thread created where we can start plannig the new graphics guide. We should come up with the format of the guide and work from there.

Asus p4c800 Deluxe,1 Gig Mushkin PC3200 Dual Channel Level II V2,Pentium 4 3.0 512k 800fsb HT, Thermaltake Xaser III, Thermaltake Spark 7+, Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum Pro, eVGA GeForce 6800 GT
November 13, 2004 3:48:09 PM

It would be hard to poll everything also, I think the *vets* should get together and discuss the format of the guide, what needs to be covered, what order it should be covered in etc etc. If we were to do polls on every question that could be alot of polls.

Maybe once the formatt has been decided and all topics that need to be included are decided upon, we can get a list of volunters and sections of the guide can be assigned and maybe even have teams of people formed for the more indepth areas, then have them all turned over to one final person to organize and string together and add the finishing touches to tie it all together.

November 13, 2004 4:11:20 PM

I was thinking about rebuilding the guide following my CPU Buyers' Guide style.

Is that ok?

------------
<font color=orange><b><A HREF="http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox" target="_new">Rediscover the web</A></b></font color=orange>
November 13, 2004 4:20:20 PM

Im just trying to throw out ideas to whoevers taking charge of this project, im more of a buyer than a guide lol :)  I dont know who is in charge of the new guide offically, GW?

November 13, 2004 4:29:45 PM

The front page of the forum all of a sudden seems so much more spacious!!! Kind of like getting rid of some piece of furniture that is no longer needed, and the room seems twice as big.

Now we can fill the vacuum with a PCI-Express Guide :wink:

<A HREF="http://atomfilms.shockwave.com/landing/landingIndex.jsp..." target="_new">DumbLand</A>
a b U Graphics card
November 13, 2004 5:03:02 PM

Yeah we need a PCI-e guide for the 1% of readers who own one or are about to buy one. :tongue:

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 1GB Corsair XMS 4000 Pro Series, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt
November 13, 2004 7:48:53 PM

power to the people
November 13, 2004 11:13:07 PM

Ha, now I'm curious to see what this was about.

Wish it was still there :) 
November 14, 2004 2:22:56 AM

okay so first you take my guide and now you're going to destroy it? How awesome!

and GW, overhaul? oh I'm trying to do that! except spitfire wont take my suggestions, wont let me update nor let me do anything about this outdated guide.

Ah WTF -_-

RIP Block Heater....HELLO P4~~~~~
120% nVidia Fanboy+119% Money Fanboy
GeForce 6800 Ultra--> The Way we thought FX 5800Ultra is meant to be played
THGC's resident Asian and nVboy :D 
November 14, 2004 9:47:52 AM

Just today I've noticed that you've started a v2.0 thread. If you want to make v2.0 then it's great, but make it quick. I won't make another one, I'll just stick with editing/update part.

There's no conflict between our goals.

------------
!