I would like to use win XP with my Win 98se how do i do th..

May 23, 2005 8:45:10 PM

I have tried to find Information on using 2 Operating Systems, But have had
no luck. I have read some of the posts on this topic and now know that it is
possible. My question is.. how do i do this? How can i add winXP to my Win
98se PC. Thank You for any help.

Steve

More about : win win 98se

Anonymous
May 23, 2005 10:16:06 PM

Multibooting with Windows XP: Introduction (1 of 4 parts)
Multibooting with Windows XP
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmor...

How to Multiple Boot Windows XP, Windows 2000, Windows NT, Windows 95,
Windows 98, Windows Me, and MS-DOS
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q217210

Multibooting with Windows 2000 and Windows XP
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/administr...

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:EB49AD4B-B14D-4554-9266-E91B8FFB297D@microsoft.com,
Steve M. <Steve M.@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> I have tried to find Information on using 2 Operating Systems, But have
> had no luck. I have read some of the posts on this topic and now know
> that it is possible. My question is.. how do i do this? How can i add
> winXP to my Win 98se PC. Thank You for any help.
>
> Steve
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 11:23:31 PM

Steve M. wrote:
> I have tried to find Information on using 2 Operating Systems, But have had
> no luck. I have read some of the posts on this topic and now know that it is
> possible. My question is.. how do i do this? How can i add winXP to my Win
> 98se PC. Thank You for any help.
>
> Steve

The simplest way I've found to dual boot between Win9x/Me and WinXP
would be to partition your drive(s) roughly as follows:

C: Primary FAT32 Win9x/Me/Legacy Apps
D: Extended NTFS WinXP/Modern Apps

Adjust the partition sizes according to your actual hard drive(s)
size and the amount of space you'd like to allocate to each OS and its
applications.

Create the partitions using Win9x's FDISK so you can enable large
disk support (FAT32). (No need for 3rd party partitioning
utilities/boot managers and their frequent complications.)

Install Win9x/Me first, being sure to select "C:\Windows" (or
D:\Windows, if you prefer) when asked for the default Windows
directory. When you subsequently install WinXP, be sure to specify
"D:\Winnt" (or "D:\Windows," "C:\Winnt" as referred/applicable) when
asked for the default Windows directory, to place it in the other
partition. The WinXP installation routine will automatically set up a
Multi-boot menu for you. The default settings for this menu can be
readily edited from within WinXP. NOTE: If you elect to place
Win9x/Me on the "D:" drive, you'll _have_ to leave the "C:" drive as
FAT32.

This method can be adapted to using 2 physical hard drives by
placing the boot partition (C:, which still must be FAT32) and either
of the operating systems on the Primary Master hard drive, and the
second operating system on the second hard drive.

It is also possible to have a 3rd partition for shared
applications, but it would be necessary for such a partition to be
formatted in the common file format (FAT32). The applications would
also have to be installed into each OS (to ensure proper system file
placement and registry updates), one at a time, but the bulk of the
program files could be located on this common partition. I do not,
however, actually recommend doing this as, if you were to uninstall
such an application from one OS, you may not be able to gracefully
uninstall it from the second OS, having already deleted crucial
installation data during the first uninstall action.

Just about everything you need to know (URLs may wrap):

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q217/2...

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/gett...

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
May 24, 2005 5:09:09 PM

Ok Bruce let me give you the break down on my hard drive.
It is a western Digital 80 gb drive (caviar) i have 4 Partions on the drive
allready. each of them roughly 20 gb each i believe they are all FAT32 as far
as i could see. by checking them. You mentioned NTFS im not familier with
this? is it something i need to Download? something in the hard drive
allready. I appoligize for sounding computer illiterate lol i guess im not as
savy as i thought! if it is easier you can reach me by IM at yahoo if you use
that Messanger? it is Mordakai67 I just want to thank you all for the help
you have posted. It sounds so confusing lol. But i am confident i can do
this.....

!