Sign in with
Your question

Panasonic NCR18650- Best performing laptop battery cells?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
August 29, 2012 3:50:36 AM

I bough a few replacement batteries for my office from Safebatteries.com. They work well and last longer then last crop of discount batteries.

Are there battery packs that use better cells then this one, or are the Panasonic NCR cells the best/Highest Capacity cells out there right now?
a b D Laptop
August 29, 2012 12:43:47 PM

I can honestly say here I have never seen a battery pack tear down and comparison anywhere. While I have disassembled battery packs to fix them, I never really paid much attention to the cells themself other than to test them, good - keep, bad - toss.
I think that's a great question but I really wouldn't know where to start to find that information. The biggest issue here is that there is no standard for laptop batteries, different sizes, shapes and outputs along with the different power needs of different laptop models, would make comparison difficult and since the battery itself does not have any effect on the performance of the laptop (as long as it works) there doesn't seem to be any real incentive to make comparisons.
Panasonic does make their own cells (and battery packs) which gives them greater control over quality than a company using an outside vendor but whether they use that ability, I can't say.
September 15, 2012 5:44:48 PM

The short answer to this is Yes the Panasonic NCR series li-ion cells have been "Top-Dog" for a few years now because they offer the best balance between high capacity and long service life. Tesla motors has been using them in their electric cars, didn't know someone was putting them in laptop batteries....makes sense though. They are expensive, I use them is some special flashlights I have and pay about $8-$12 per cell!

I have a little different take then C12 comments. The cells use do effect performance by dictating how long your laptop can run unplugged and how often you need to replace your laptop battery. More specifically, You don't want replacement battery pack that can only power your laptop for 45 minutes or one that needs to be replaced ever 8 months (extreme case). If I had the choice to to buy a laptop battery that gave me longer run times and lasted twice as long, I would be interested in buying that battery as long as the price was in the ballpark so to speak.

If you want to do some basic evaluations for expected run times for a given battery, you can use the following calculations..warning Battery Math ahead.....

The mAh (milli amp per hour) ratings on batteries can be just a little misleading because voltage needs to be taken into account. Wh (Watt Hour) can be used for a more pure comparison. laptops usually consume about 10 to 30 Watts per hour depending on what your doing.

Example: My laptop (Dell Latitude E) came with a 48Wh battery according to the Dell label on the back. The Max Capacity battery you bough from safebatteries.com are rated at 62Wh. So 62Wh/48Wh = 29% more power.

or put another way, my latitude E consumes about 20 Watts per hour when I'm using it for basic work. So expected run times comparisons can be done.

==============Power Capacity to run time============
(Your battery) 62Wh/20Wh = 3 hours 10 minutes of run time
vs
My Dell battery 48Wh/20Wh =2 hours 25 minutes

The other thing to consider maybe the most important is how many charges the battery can handle before they need replacement. Meaning will I have to replace the battery 1-2 years or 2-4 years. If both batteries are close in price, I will for sure want the 2-4 year battery!

I don't have the info handy, but the expected service life graph that safebatteries has on its home page seems to be inline with what I recall.

I'll look for the spec sheet ...wait found it...--> http://industrial.panasonic.com/www-data/pdf2/ACA4000/A...

The cycle life graph on page 2 is what I was interest in .You can expect this battery to last you about 3 years.
!