New Graphics card

Hayrick

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2004
Hey there, a couple months ago I bought a newer video card to replace my ati radeon 9200. The new card is a MSI GForce 5700LE. I installed the card with the latest drivers yet when i try to run any games that use direct 3d and when I run the Direct 3d test in diaxdiag, the computer locks up within a few seconds.

I tried reinstalling the drivers, using the old drivers, updating directX, updating direct3d, checking for hardware conflicts, checking the for specific messages in that alert message archive thingy,(forget what its called,) and eventually a full reinstall of windows. Needless to say nothing worked and I went back to my old card.

A friend of mine also thought my motherboard might be set for AGP 4x but it was set for 8X. The only thing I saw in the BIOS that might have been set wrong what the AGP memory aperture size was set to 64mb and it's a 256mg card. But I'm not the best with computers so I dont want to mess with anything I dont know about.

General system specs:
-Intel P4 2 Ghz
-512 mb RAM at 266mhz,(i think)
-onboard sound
-Windows Service Pack 2,(tried without service pack 2 also)
-motherboard P4V8X-X

Thats about all I can think of, thanks in advance for any help you can provide me.
-Hayrick aka Chris

sweatlaserxp

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
AGP aperture has nothing to do with the amount of memory on the graphics card.

One thing you can try is to make sure you have the latest BIOS for your motherboard. BIOS issues can cause lock-ups in games.

<A HREF="http://atomfilms.shockwave.com/landing/landingIndex.jsp?id=dumb01&mature=accept" target="_new">DumbLand</A>