802.11b on a D-Link 108Mb network.

Last response: in Wireless Networking
April 8, 2004 8:40:56 AM

I am currently running a wireless network made up of the following:

1 x PocketPC using SanDisk SD 801.11b Card
1 x WinXP with Netgear 801.11b Card
1 x IBook with 802.11b Airport Card
1 x HP Deskjet 5850 802.11b Printer
1 x Linksys WAP11 802.11b Access Point

All works fine at the moment (for now!), but I want to replace the
Access Point and WinXP pc's card with one of Netgears 108Mb APs and
Card but I am worried that because of the 802.11b stuff the investment
will be worthless as they will stop the network from running at top
speed. Is this the case or will the XP machine and AP talk 108MB and
all the other stuff run at 11MB?

Many thanks

Matthew Bunce
Anonymous
April 8, 2004 5:31:38 PM

matt@kluster.net (Matthew Bunce) wrote in news:D 2900e85.0404080340.179d2302
@posting.google.com:

> I am worried that because of the 802.11b stuff the investment
> will be worthless as they will stop the network from running at top
> speed. Is this the case or will the XP machine and AP talk 108MB and
> all the other stuff run at 11MB?

If you have a mixed network, yes, it will run slower.

Anyhow, you'll never get 108mbps (even on a full XtremeG network) - more
like 30 - 40mbps TOPs.

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)
April 8, 2004 8:52:37 PM

I believe someone posted on an earlier thread that 802.11b clients did not
work at all on a 108 Mbps SuperG network. You might want to search two or
three weeks' worth of an archive for this newsgroup. Sorry I don't remember
the topic of the thread. You might also want to go to the web site of any
vendor of 108 Mbps gear, and just read a manual. For example, all of the
manuals are available on the D-Link site.

On the face of it, it makes sense that they would not work. SuperG uses
twice the bandwidth of regular 802.11b/g. No standard 802.11b/g client will
be able to decode all received signals in the network.

The issue would be whether or not SuperG gracefully degrades to standard
802.11b/g in the presence of non-SuperG clients. I believe the earlier
poster I referred to said no.