Clone my boot drive?

Are these true statements? A true clone of my boot drive CANNOT be made
while XP is running, because XP locks(makes inaccessible) certain files. Any
clone-making software MUST be booted from floppy or cd and run under dos.
The easiest free clone-making software is MaxBlast3 or 4, which can be
downloaded from maxtor.com The instructions are here:
http://maxtor.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/maxtor.cfg/php/enduser/prnt_adp.php?p_faqid=1366&p_created=1045194563&p_sid=DCooebGh
Does anyone know easier clone-making software?
4 answers Last reply
More about clone boot drive

    Yes, windows locks certain files because they are dymanic (pagefile.sys) or
    they are in use constantly (ntuser.dat). I know that some software is trying
    to work around this (Acronis or Symantec Ghost) but I'm not sure how
    successful they have been.

    I'd recomend (if this is for home use) getting a copy of Norton Ghost
    Personal Edition and just ghosting an image to a second hard drive. Of
    course this is a little bit extreme, for myself I use free tools like
    robocopy and a second hard drive, along with task scheduler in windows. My
    files are backed up nightly with no reboots and no interference.

    Nathan

    "Lirathal" <lirathal@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Yes, windows locks certain files because they are dymanic (pagefile.sys) or
    >they are in use constantly (ntuser.dat). I know that some software is trying
    >to work around this (Acronis or Symantec Ghost) but I'm not sure how
    >successful they have been.

    I'm using the Acronis True Image software, version 7 (they are up to
    version 8), and apparently it works fine. I have two identical laptops
    and have Acronis installed on both. ::innocent look... What EULA :x ::
    and have restored images of my wife's computer onto my computer. When
    I reboot, it looks just like my wife's computer. When I'm done with
    whatever I was messing with, I can make a new image, then restore that
    image on her system, and restore my latest image on my computer. That
    way, I can fiddle with her system and not slow down her working with
    it. All images are stored on a large USB external hard drive. I have
    not had a problem yet. ::knocking on wood::

    Apparently, Acronis software makes a copy of active files that are in
    use, then images everything else. When you restore, the copies of the
    files in use are used. The restores of your active disk are best done
    by booting with a bootable recovery cd that Acronis gives you the
    option of makingt at installation time. In that way, you can boot from
    the cd and restore the entire image without having to fiddle with the
    Winxp cd. This is all based on the fact that you are installing to the
    same machine and configuration that made the image.

    I was wondering if XP Home would object to being installed on an
    identically configured Compaq, but apparently, it doesn't... or it
    hasn't so far. :)

    > I was wondering if XP Home would object to being installed on an
    > identically configured Compaq, but apparently, it doesn't... or it
    > hasn't so far. :)

    Yes, I too was very interested in that point<grin> So far, no
    re-activation has been required.

    If you ghost or acronis drive to drive copies of bootable drives and stick
    them in even nearly identical machines, Windows won't bitch. I do it all the
    time at client sites simply because I don't want to have to waste 4 hours
    for my client's money to "clean install" everything.

    >> I was wondering if XP Home would object to being installed on an
    >> identically configured Compaq, but apparently, it doesn't... or it
    >> hasn't so far. :)
    >>
    > Yes, I too was very interested in that point<grin> So far, no
    > re-activation has been required.

Boot Software Windows XP