Script error message

Hi,
I was using a tweek programe to tidy and speed up my machine and it's worked
great and everything seems to be working fine except for one small problem in
Outlook Express, when I click on it up comes this:
Internet Explorer Script error
Line 229
Char 1
Error object doesn't support this property or method
Code 0
res//C:\PROGRAMES FILES\OUTLOOK EXPRESS\msoeres.dll/frontpage.htm
Do you want to continue running scripts on this page?

This error doesn't stop me from using or collecting e-mail but when I first
click on Outlook Express I am presented with a blank white screen.
I could use a system restore point but that would bring the machine back to
its old ways.
Could someone tell me how to excactly fix this error
Many thanks

--
Sandal
12 answers Last reply

    Sandal,

    The 'tweak' program that you downloaded seems to have disabled "Active
    Scripting" for the Internet Zone. Open Control Panel Internet Options. Click
    the Security tab and click the Custom Level slider. Enable Active Scripting
    from the list.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Sandal" <Sandal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I was using a tweek programe to tidy and speed up my machine and it's
    > worked
    > great and everything seems to be working fine except for one small problem
    > in
    > Outlook Express, when I click on it up comes this:
    > Internet Explorer Script error
    > Line 229
    > Char 1
    > Error object doesn't support this property or method
    > Code 0
    > res//C:\PROGRAMES FILES\OUTLOOK EXPRESS\msoeres.dll/frontpage.htm
    > Do you want to continue running scripts on this page?
    >
    > This error doesn't stop me from using or collecting e-mail but when I
    > first
    > click on Outlook Express I am presented with a blank white screen.
    > I could use a system restore point but that would bring the machine back
    > its old ways.
    > Could someone tell me how to excactly fix this error
    > Many thanks
    >

    > --
    > Sandal

    Many thanks Ramash, everything was enabled so no joy there I think it might
    be a missing or currupt "dll"
    --
    Sandal

    > Many thanks Ramash, everything was enabled so no joy there I think it
    > might
    > be a missing or currupt "dll"
    > --
    > Sandal
    >

    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> Sandal,
    >>
    >> The 'tweak' program that you downloaded seems to have disabled "Active
    >> Scripting" for the Internet Zone. Open Control Panel Internet Options.
    >> Click
    >> the Security tab and click the Custom Level slider. Enable Active
    >> Scripting
    >> from the list.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP Shell/User
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "Sandal" <Sandal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hi,
    >> > I was using a tweek programe to tidy and speed up my machine and it's
    >> > worked
    >> > great and everything seems to be working fine except for one small
    >> > problem
    >> > in
    >> > Outlook Express, when I click on it up comes this:
    >> > Internet Explorer Script error
    >> > Line 229
    >> > Char 1
    >> > Error object doesn't support this property or method
    >> > Code 0
    >> > res//C:\PROGRAMES FILES\OUTLOOK EXPRESS\msoeres.dll/frontpage.htm
    >> > Do you want to continue running scripts on this page?
    >> >
    >> > This error doesn't stop me from using or collecting e-mail but when I
    >> > first
    >> > click on Outlook Express I am presented with a blank white screen.
    >> > I could use a system restore point but that would bring the machine
    >> > back
    >> > its old ways.
    >> > Could someone tell me how to excactly fix this error
    >> > Many thanks
    >> >

    >> > --
    >> > Sandal

    You could try installing the latest version of VB Script

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c717d943-7e4b-4622-86eb-95a22b832caa&DisplayLang=en

    Kerry

    Thanks Kerry, done that, still no joy
    Manythanks

    --
    Sandal

    "Kerry Brown" wrote:

    > "Sandal" <Sandal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Many thanks Ramash, everything was enabled so no joy there I think it
    > > might
    > > be a missing or currupt "dll"
    > > --
    > > Sandal
    > >

    > > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Sandal,
    > >>
    > >> The 'tweak' program that you downloaded seems to have disabled "Active
    > >> Scripting" for the Internet Zone. Open Control Panel Internet Options.
    > >> Click
    > >> the Security tab and click the Custom Level slider. Enable Active
    > >> Scripting
    > >> from the list.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > >> Windows XP Shell/User
    > >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    > >>

    > >> "Sandal" <Sandal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > You could try installing the latest version of VB Script
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c717d943-7e4b-4622-86eb-95a22b832caa&DisplayLang=en
    >
    > Kerry

    Sandal,

    Under the Custom Level settings, enable "Binary and script behaviors" as
    well. If that does not help, try a System Restore rollback. (Ref:
    http://www.winxptutor.com/rollback.htm ).

    BTW, what's the name of the Tweak program you've installed? Do you have a
    URL so that I can test it.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "Sandal" <Sandal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Many thanks Ramash, everything was enabled so no joy there I think it
    > might
    > be a missing or currupt "dll"
    > --
    > Sandal
    >

    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> Sandal,
    >>
    >> The 'tweak' program that you downloaded seems to have disabled "Active
    >> Scripting" for the Internet Zone. Open Control Panel Internet Options.
    >> Click
    >> the Security tab and click the Custom Level slider. Enable Active
    >> Scripting
    >> from the list.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP Shell/User
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "Sandal" <Sandal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hi,
    >> > I was using a tweek programe to tidy and speed up my machine and it's
    >> > worked
    >> > great and everything seems to be working fine except for one small
    >> > problem
    >> > in
    >> > Outlook Express, when I click on it up comes this:
    >> > Internet Explorer Script error
    >> > Line 229
    >> > Char 1
    >> > Error object doesn't support this property or method
    >> > Code 0
    >> > res//C:\PROGRAMES FILES\OUTLOOK EXPRESS\msoeres.dll/frontpage.htm
    >> > Do you want to continue running scripts on this page?
    >> >
    >> > This error doesn't stop me from using or collecting e-mail but when I
    >> > first
    >> > click on Outlook Express I am presented with a blank white screen.
    >> > I could use a system restore point but that would bring the machine
    >> > back
    >> > its old ways.
    >> > Could someone tell me how to excactly fix this error
    >> > Many thanks
    >> >

    >> > --
    >> > Sandal

    Thanks Ramash,
    No joy, I did everything I knew and somethings I didn't, this one even foxed
    phone support at Microsoft, they gave up saying it could not be fixed, funny,
    not once did they suggest a roll back. In the end I did a restore and
    everything is working fine, still I have a few happy but brief memorys of a
    super, super fast machine, hell was it fast.
    The programe that caused this fuss came with the Official Microsoft mag' and
    is called PC Accelerator,( 2003 Lite ) a freebie, just tap it into Google,
    for some reason
    this causes the script error I wrote about.
    Manythanks
    May the Wombat smile happily in the underbrush
    very old Abbo' saying, dammed if I know what it means.
    --
    Sandal

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > Sandal,
    >
    > Under the Custom Level settings, enable "Binary and script behaviors" as
    > well. If that does not help, try a System Restore rollback. (Ref:
    > http://www.winxptutor.com/rollback.htm ).
    >
    > BTW, what's the name of the Tweak program you've installed? Do you have a
    > URL so that I can test it.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "Sandal" <Sandal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Many thanks Ramash, everything was enabled so no joy there I think it
    > > might
    > > be a missing or currupt "dll"
    > > --
    > > Sandal
    > >

    > > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Sandal,
    > >>
    > >> The 'tweak' program that you downloaded seems to have disabled "Active
    > >> Scripting" for the Internet Zone. Open Control Panel Internet Options.
    > >> Click
    > >> the Security tab and click the Custom Level slider. Enable Active
    > >> Scripting
    > >> from the list.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > >> Windows XP Shell/User
    > >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    > >>

    > >> "Sandal" <Sandal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    You're welcome Sandal. I'll take a look at the program that you mentioned.

    --

    > Thanks Ramash,
    > No joy, I did everything I knew and somethings I didn't, this one even
    > foxed
    > phone support at Microsoft, they gave up saying it could not be fixed,
    > funny,
    > not once did they suggest a roll back. In the end I did a restore and
    > everything is working fine, still I have a few happy but brief memorys of
    > super, super fast machine, hell was it fast.
    > The programe that caused this fuss came with the Official Microsoft mag'
    > and
    > is called PC Accelerator,( 2003 Lite ) a freebie, just tap it into Google,
    > for some reason
    > this causes the script error I wrote about.
    > Manythanks
    > May the Wombat smile happily in the underbrush
    > very old Abbo' saying, dammed if I know what it means.
    > --
    > Sandal
    >

    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> Sandal,
    >>
    >> Under the Custom Level settings, enable "Binary and script behaviors" as
    >> well. If that does not help, try a System Restore rollback. (Ref:
    >> http://www.winxptutor.com/rollback.htm ).
    >>
    >> BTW, what's the name of the Tweak program you've installed? Do you have a
    >> URL so that I can test it.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP Shell/User
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "Sandal" <Sandal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Many thanks Ramash, everything was enabled so no joy there I think it
    >> > might
    >> > be a missing or currupt "dll"
    >> > --
    >> > Sandal

    Sandal,

    I've identified this is caused by disabling the about: URL protocol. More
    Information at:
    http://www.tweakxp.com/article139530.aspx

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    > You're welcome Sandal. I'll take a look at the program that you mentioned.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "Sandal" <Sandal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Thanks Ramash,
    >> No joy, I did everything I knew and somethings I didn't, this one even
    >> foxed
    >> phone support at Microsoft, they gave up saying it could not be fixed,
    >> funny,
    >> not once did they suggest a roll back. In the end I did a restore and
    >> everything is working fine, still I have a few happy but brief memorys of
    >> super, super fast machine, hell was it fast.
    >> The programe that caused this fuss came with the Official Microsoft mag'
    >> and
    >> is called PC Accelerator,( 2003 Lite ) a freebie, just tap it into
    >> Google,
    >> for some reason
    >> this causes the script error I wrote about.
    >> Manythanks
    >> May the Wombat smile happily in the underbrush
    >> very old Abbo' saying, dammed if I know what it means.
    >> --
    >> Sandal
    >>

    >> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    >>
    >>> Sandal,
    >>>
    >>> Under the Custom Level settings, enable "Binary and script behaviors" as
    >>> well. If that does not help, try a System Restore rollback. (Ref:
    >>> http://www.winxptutor.com/rollback.htm ).
    >>>
    >>> BTW, what's the name of the Tweak program you've installed? Do you have
    >>> URL so that I can test it.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >>> Windows XP Shell/User
    >>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>>

    >>> "Sandal" <Sandal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Ramash,
    thankyou a zillion, I clicked on the link however and I'm almost, ( no I am
    ), ashamed to admit this, I haven't a clue how to implement what it's asking
    me to do.
    It's not that I'm dumb it's more a case of, I know soup taste good, even
    better when
    hot coz the instructions say so but I gotta use the dang tin opener,
    screwed, but I'm a quick study, in other words,
    he------------------------------lp.
    --
    Sandal

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > Sandal,
    >
    > I've identified this is caused by disabling the about: URL protocol. More
    > Information at:
    > http://www.tweakxp.com/article139530.aspx
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    > > You're welcome Sandal. I'll take a look at the program that you mentioned.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > > Windows XP Shell/User
    > > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    > >

    > > "Sandal" <Sandal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >> Thanks Ramash,
    > >> No joy, I did everything I knew and somethings I didn't, this one even
    > >> foxed
    > >> phone support at Microsoft, they gave up saying it could not be fixed,
    > >> funny,
    > >> not once did they suggest a roll back. In the end I did a restore and
    > >> everything is working fine, still I have a few happy but brief memorys of
    > >> super, super fast machine, hell was it fast.
    > >> The programe that caused this fuss came with the Official Microsoft mag'
    > >> and
    > >> is called PC Accelerator,( 2003 Lite ) a freebie, just tap it into
    > >> Google,
    > >> for some reason
    > >> this causes the script error I wrote about.
    > >> Manythanks
    > >> May the Wombat smile happily in the underbrush
    > >> very old Abbo' saying, dammed if I know what it means.
    > >> --
    > >> Sandal

    Sandal,

    There is a setting in PC Acclerator utility that implements the registry
    change that I indicated. This is just for your information and others who
    face the problem.

    --

    > Ramash,
    > thankyou a zillion, I clicked on the link however and I'm almost, ( no I
    > am
    > ), ashamed to admit this, I haven't a clue how to implement what it's
    > asking
    > me to do.
    > It's not that I'm dumb it's more a case of, I know soup taste good, even
    > better when
    > hot coz the instructions say so but I gotta use the dang tin opener,
    > screwed, but I'm a quick study, in other words,
    > he------------------------------lp.
    > --
    > Sandal
    >

    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> Sandal,
    >>
    >> I've identified this is caused by disabling the about: URL protocol. More
    >> Information at:
    >> http://www.tweakxp.com/article139530.aspx
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP Shell/User
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote in message
    >> > You're welcome Sandal. I'll take a look at the program that you
    >> > mentioned.
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> > Windows XP Shell/User
    >> > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >> >

    >> > "Sandal" <Sandal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Thanks Ramesh,
    I'll re-install the programe in a couple of days, I ll let you know.
    --
    Sandal

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > Sandal,
    >
    > There is a setting in PC Acclerator utility that implements the registry
    > change that I indicated. This is just for your information and others who
    > face the problem.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "Sandal" <Sandal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Ramash,
    > > thankyou a zillion, I clicked on the link however and I'm almost, ( no I
    > > am
    > > ), ashamed to admit this, I haven't a clue how to implement what it's
    > > asking
    > > me to do.
    > > It's not that I'm dumb it's more a case of, I know soup taste good, even
    > > better when
    > > hot coz the instructions say so but I gotta use the dang tin opener,
    > > screwed, but I'm a quick study, in other words,
    > > he------------------------------lp.
    > > --
    > > Sandal
    > >

    > > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Sandal,
    > >>
    > >> I've identified this is caused by disabling the about: URL protocol. More
    > >> Information at:
    > >> http://www.tweakxp.com/article139530.aspx
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > >> Windows XP Shell/User
    > >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    > >>

    > >> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote in message

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    You're welcome Sandal.

    --

    > Thanks Ramesh,
    > I'll re-install the programe in a couple of days, I ll let you know.
    > --
    > Sandal
    >

    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> Sandal,
    >>
    >> There is a setting in PC Acclerator utility that implements the registry
    >> change that I indicated. This is just for your information and others who
    >> face the problem.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP Shell/User
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org

Outlook Express Script Error Support Windows XP