The Great Trade

rx7000

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2003
Hi all, I have a dilema. My brother is 14 he has no access to any kind of money or job right now, hes using a dell my parents bought him after hounding them for a computer (We were sharing my old comp). He has a great love for computers and games, but his comp is extremley limited, 3 pci slots, no agp slot, case has pretty much zero cooling. Using a pci videocard was fine for him with games like Warcraft 3, Origional Counterstrike, but he cant play any of the new games coming out and hes growing extremley frustrated with his computer.

I was doing the math with him, and I offered to help him build a new computer for christmas, were basically going to duplicate what I have for him, and the math is coming out ok, except for the video card. He cant afford one at all, so Im thinking of picking up a 6800 Ultra and giving him my 6800 GT.

My question is (not being very familiar with the ultra) what kind of real world increase will I actually see from the 6800 GT to the Ultra?? And how well / far can a Ultra overclocked without liquid cooling?? (I realize that limits of overclocking depends on the system and its always diffrent, Im just looking for a rough estimate of what I could expect to get from the card with good air cooling).

Asus p4c800 Deluxe,1 Gig Mushkin PC3200 Dual Channel Level II V2,Pentium 4 3.0 512k 800fsb HT, Thermaltake Xaser III, Thermaltake Spark 7+, Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum Pro, eVGA GeForce 6800 GT

dd_viper

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2004
heh i wish u were my bro back when i was a kid. knowing my bro he would have just laughed at me and said go *uck urself and left me to find money and buy one if we had comps back then.

Homer: (crying) ahhh i dont remember the last time i cried like this!
Lisa: When u put ur shirt on backwards
Homer: (crying) o ya, (crying) the tag chafed my skin (crying)

RichPLS

Champion
Get yourself the ATI X800XT PE, and blow him away...

<font color=red><pre>_____________________________________
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

rx7000

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2003
Im all set with Radeon for right now. I secretly want a Ultra anyway, if i can fuel my fps hunger and look like a hero at the same time, power to me.

Asus p4c800 Deluxe,1 Gig Mushkin PC3200 Dual Channel Level II V2,Pentium 4 3.0 512k 800fsb HT, Thermaltake Xaser III, Thermaltake Spark 7+, Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum Pro, eVGA GeForce 6800 GT

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
Wont see a difference except in the benches since all the 6800 lines do pretty damn good in big games like Doom 3. Hell Iive OCed a couple 6800gt to ulta, of course Ive changed out the HSF for I do it even at stock.

<i><font color=red>Only an overclocker can make a computer into a convectional oven.</i></font color=red>

I would think the biggest advantage for the Ultra over a GT would be in overclocking beyond that point, since then the dual power connectors would be a benifit as many reviewers have found that they can't get as high stable OC's with the Ultra without the second power connector, so I would think by extension you could overclock the Ultra further than any 1 connector GT.

Just a thought/theory.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

G

I think greatape is Correct in hes theory I have read the same some where else. But i would go for the XT800 PE over the ultra there the same price.