deleting windows without formatting !??!

May 24, 2005 4:44:02 AM

short and sweet -- porn sites led to many many spyware probs, tried
everything, need to delete windows and everything except vids, app installz,
pics etc.. i have 2 pc's problem pc is p4 3.2g w/ 200g sata hd other pc is a
p4 2.8g w/ 72g ata hd, reason i mention this is i have tried connecting 72g
to prob pc and set as primary but every time it starts to load windows (just
b4 splash "Loading......." pretty colors blah blah) it reboots my pc it loads
fine when the 200g is primary. !!!Please i need help !!! all i want is a
clean start
P.S. I dont have enuf DVD's to copy the stuff i dont want to lose (about 110
gigs worth) i only have 5 blank 4.8 g disks
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 10:39:25 AM

Have you tried using Safe Mode of Windows and trying to remove crudware? or Safe Mode with Networking?

Use a clean pc to download cleanup tools, put on CD or DVD, and use on infected machines.
I recommend an article at Aumha.org on ways to cleanup parasites.
Follow the quick-fix protocol.
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

OsMoSis.JoNeS wrote:
> short and sweet -- porn sites led to many many spyware probs, tried
> everything, need to delete windows and everything except vids, app
> installz, pics etc.. i have 2 pc's problem pc is p4 3.2g w/ 200g sata
> hd other pc is a p4 2.8g w/ 72g ata hd, reason i mention this is i
> have tried connecting 72g to prob pc and set as primary but every
> time it starts to load windows (just b4 splash "Loading......."
> pretty colors blah blah) it reboots my pc it loads fine when the 200g
> is primary. !!!Please i need help !!! all i want is a clean start
> P.S. I dont have enuf DVD's to copy the stuff i dont want to lose
> (about 110 gigs worth) i only have 5 blank 4.8 g disks
May 24, 2005 3:03:06 PM

Unless your reinstallation media is a vendor type with no other option, it
is not necessary to reformat to reinstall Windows, despite to the
horrendously common bad advice to the contrary.
--

"OsMoSis.JoNeS" <OsMoSis.JoNeS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> short and sweet -- porn sites led to many many spyware probs, tried
> everything, need to delete windows and everything except vids, app
> installz,
> pics etc.. i have 2 pc's problem pc is p4 3.2g w/ 200g sata hd other pc is
> p4 2.8g w/ 72g ata hd, reason i mention this is i have tried connecting
> 72g
> to prob pc and set as primary but every time it starts to load windows
> (just
> b4 splash "Loading......." pretty colors blah blah) it reboots my pc it
> loads
> fine when the 200g is primary. !!!Please i need help !!! all i want is a
> clean start
> P.S. I dont have enuf DVD's to copy the stuff i dont want to lose (about
> 110
> gigs worth) i only have 5 blank 4.8 g disks
May 24, 2005 9:21:08 PM

yes, i agree. buy another HDD and install it as the primary, and set the
existing hdd as the secondary. That ay you can make a clean install
without losing any data. The nwhen you have it up, use Ghost to image
the new C: drive to save you having this hassle again

--
guestfromhell
guestfromhell's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=12490

The problem with this is that when you do an in-place upgrade as I believe
you are suggesting, it uses the existing registry and will just keep all the
malware and problems this user is experienceing.

My advice? Spend a few buck, buy a 160GB drive, a USB 2.0 enclosure and back
the stuff up. Format, reinstall, copy the information back.

I think everyone should have a backup procedure for whatever data they want
to keep. Honestly OsmosisJones what would you have done if your hard drive
crashed and lost all your data? Make the other hard drive part of your back
up routine.

Nathan

"GTS" <x> wrote in message news:%23UJRyGHYFHA.228@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Unless your reinstallation media is a vendor type with no other option, it
> is not necessary to reformat to reinstall Windows, despite to the
> horrendously common bad advice to the contrary.
> --
>
> "OsMoSis.JoNeS" <OsMoSis.JoNeS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> short and sweet -- porn sites led to many many spyware probs, tried
>> everything, need to delete windows and everything except vids, app
>> installz,
>> pics etc.. i have 2 pc's problem pc is p4 3.2g w/ 200g sata hd other pc
>> is a
>> p4 2.8g w/ 72g ata hd, reason i mention this is i have tried connecting
>> 72g
>> to prob pc and set as primary but every time it starts to load windows
>> (just
>> b4 splash "Loading......." pretty colors blah blah) it reboots my pc it
>> loads
>> fine when the 200g is primary. !!!Please i need help !!! all i want is a
>> clean start
>> P.S. I dont have enuf DVD's to copy the stuff i dont want to lose (about
>> 110
>> gigs worth) i only have 5 blank 4.8 g disks

May 25, 2005 2:33:29 AM

No, I wasn't suggesting an in place upgrade.
--

!