Firefox features

OK, based on the great feedback from this group, I've d/l Firefox (btw, I am
still using OE for my email and for these newsgroups).

I was wondering what features you guys like and recommend. Perhaps a very
brief description on how to enable the features would be helpful.

(I guess this is slightly OT for a Dell newsgroup, but it IS interesting and
useful)

Mel
7 answers Last reply
More about firefox features

    "MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
    > OK, based on the great feedback from this group, I've d/l Firefox (btw, I
    > am still using OE for my email and for these newsgroups).
    >
    > I was wondering what features you guys like and recommend. Perhaps a very
    > brief description on how to enable the features would be helpful.
    >
    > (I guess this is slightly OT for a Dell newsgroup, but it IS interesting
    > and useful)
    >
    > Mel

    Try the 'tabbed browsing' feature ( file / new tab) which allows one to open
    multiple web pages within one browser template. I enjoy this feature as
    much as any and far more than multiple IE windows open on the Windows
    taskbar (alt+tab or not).

    Stew

    I stop the popups (default) and open lots of browser windows in tabs, instead of
    separate windows. I also set it up to ask for the folder used for every
    download. The default is to place all downloads on the desktop, which clutters
    up the desktop... Ben Myers

    MB_ wrote:
    > OK, based on the great feedback from this group, I've d/l Firefox (btw, I am
    > still using OE for my email and for these newsgroups).
    >
    > I was wondering what features you guys like and recommend. Perhaps a very
    > brief description on how to enable the features would be helpful.
    >
    > (I guess this is slightly OT for a Dell newsgroup, but it IS interesting and
    > useful)
    >
    > Mel

    Check out
    https://addons.update.mozilla.org/extensions/?os=Windows&application=firefox
    for some excellent plugins. My personal favorite are Mouse Gestures,
    AdBlock, and Google Toolbar (not as necessary on FireFox). Mouse
    gestures lets you browse via mouse movement (eg. right click & move
    mouse left to go back, etc.) it becomes second nature all too fast.
    AdBlock lets you kill ads in pages (esp. good against flash) as well as
    the frames surrounding them. The google toolbar is basically a port of
    the IE version, with features like Translate Page, view cached copy of
    page, etc.

    something unusual is the ability to restrict access to selected
    javascript properties:
    http://www.mozilla.org/projects/security/components/ConfigPolicy.html
    the best feature of FF is probably the lack of ActiveX and its general
    emphasis on security

    you can also set the home page to multiple tabbed pages

    various configuration options can be accessed by typing about:config
    in the address bar

    I did away with the RSS feed from BBC

    here are some keyboard shortcuts:
    http://www.tweakfactor.com/articles/tweaks/firefoxtweak/2.html

    MB_ wrote:
    > OK, based on the great feedback from this group, I've d/l Firefox
    > (btw, I am still using OE for my email and for these newsgroups).
    >
    > I was wondering what features you guys like and recommend. Perhaps a
    > very brief description on how to enable the features would be helpful.

    There are a few add-ons for synchronizing bookmarks. I upload my bookmarks
    file as xml file to a remote server. Then I download it to other firefox
    browsers using the same add-on. You do have to set-up, but it is well worth
    the trouble if you move to different locations throughout the day.

    Ed

    MB_ <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote:
    > OK, based on the great feedback from this group, I've d/l Firefox (btw, I am
    > still using OE for my email and for these newsgroups).

    > I was wondering what features you guys like and recommend. Perhaps a very
    > brief description on how to enable the features would be helpful.

    > (I guess this is slightly OT for a Dell newsgroup, but it IS interesting and
    > useful)

    > Mel

    The Safari / OSX theme is the cleanest and most functional for me. Look
    in Tools -> Themes -> Get more themes for a complete list. (The one I'm
    talking about is called SaferFox)

    If you author web sites professionally or as a hobby, there are a few
    extensions that will validate your work.

    There's a weather report extension I've used, although it's a bit
    screwbally. Still nice to get a report when it decides to work.

    Some of the extensibility has a rough shareware feel to it. The price
    is right, but the actual usefulness varies. Otherwise, it's just another
    browser. The rest of the features feel so Opera-like to me that I'm a
    little surprised by the evangelism. I think it's security through
    obscurity at this point. Oddly, a recent phishing URL hack affected
    FireFox, Opera, but not IE.

    "MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
    > OK, based on the great feedback from this group, I've d/l Firefox (btw, I
    am
    > still using OE for my email and for these newsgroups).
    >
    > I was wondering what features you guys like and recommend. Perhaps a very
    > brief description on how to enable the features would be helpful.
    >
    > (I guess this is slightly OT for a Dell newsgroup, but it IS interesting
    and
    > useful)

    tabbed browsing
    better cookie management