Anyone ever try gentoo linux?

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I'm installing it right now on a little test system I've got here. It's really cool so far. You have the option of completely building everything (this means gcc, glibc, all that stuff) before you install it. The result is an install that takes a long time, but you get an extremely optimized system.

Just wondering if anyone else has tried it...

Some day I'll be rich and famous for inventing a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.

molior

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2003
imo it's not overly special but it's still better than the RPM lot, my personal jury is still out on being better than debian. It's the simplest distro to build an optmised system install with. Now if you can use the Intel native compiler... umm -O7 :cool:

Row like mortals, think like gods.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by molior on 08/06/03 09:56 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

TKS

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2003
I tried it and loved it, but it was too bulky for me...what I mean is that I like trimmed down, efficient distros like turbolinux and old distros of slackware. But I loved the fact that I got all of the extra's stuff with it...I had like somewhere around 10 gigs for the total install and all the bells and whistles that came with it.

<font color=blue>Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals... except the weasel. </font color=blue>
<font color=green>Homer Simpson</font color=green>

TKS

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
You know you can not install all that stuff right? :)

Some day I'll be rich and famous for inventing a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.

TKS

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2003
Yeah...not everything. It's fun to try and install things that aren't supposed to install. Pretty weird that I get my kicks from a gcc compiler and tweaking makefiles. God I need help.

<font color=blue>Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals... except the weasel. </font color=blue>

TKS

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Well something went wrong with my install already. It says I have to enable DEVFS in the kernel, but I can't find it ANYWHERE in the "make menuconfig" of the gentoo-sources kernel I downloaded during the install. Further, it doesn't seem to want to do anything for me with modules. I don't even get a /lib/modules directory.

Maybe I'll try a different kernel...

TKS

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2003
Yeah, it sounds like you got older kernel headers in your /usr/include/linux or /usr/src/linux files. If you install kernel 2.4 or later you should be good to go. Or just try redownloading and a reinstall from a different site. I dunno what version you downloaded...I did v 1.2...that one should have the most current linux kernel. Your problem suggests you have a 2.2 kernel or earlier when DEVFS was not supported. But if you are using 2.2 or before...why? You'll have to use IPCHAINS instead of IPTABLES...I couldn't wait to switch from IPCHAINS to TABLES when the newer kernel started supporting it....I guess you could 'patch' the kernel with DEVFS source but I really don't know how...I'd have to look into it.

If you don't want to run DEVFS at all...you could get rid of it by going into /boot/grub/grub.conf and adding this line:

gentoo=notmpfs,nodevfs

But I'd just use a newer kernel. Makes things a bit easier :p

TKS

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I've got gentoo 1.4 rc4 (yeah yeah, 1.4 final just got released...), and it has the 2.4.20-gentoo_r5 kernel. I have no idea why I can't get the devfs option.

I just built the kernel manually, so maybe I just missed it... 5 times. I'm now trying genkernel, gentoo's kernel generating script and config. Hopefully that'll work.

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Yay! It works now. I'm currently building mozilla-firebird so I can browse the web, and I'm also downloading a CS 1.6 dedicated server. Already have it crunching seti units :)

Just gotta set up ssh and I'll be good to let it sit there and serve up CS matches :)

TKS

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2003
One of these days I'll actually start playing CS. I just can't get motivated to play it yet :/ I'm still stuck on UT and can't shake that monkey

<font color=blue>God bless those pagans.</font color=blue>

TKS

lame

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2003
In case you haven't found this yet..
[ ] /dev filesystem (EXPERIMENTAL)
under File systems is what you're looking for.