Qbert Lives!!!

Just wanted to update everyone that my Qbert now happily lives again! I
wanted to thank everyone who so graciously helped me in getting this
game up and running. Although I'm still having 30 volt issues (almost no
voltage coming out of the PS at the 30v pin), I believe this will end up
being a simple fix.

I want to especially thank Erik Jerue for the Qbert Multigame (works
GREAT!) Erik is a great guy!

I'll post a repair log on this when I get my notes in order, but it
looks like alot of my problems were a couple bad chip sockets, some
battery acid damage, a PS needing a rebuild, and a power block that had
a bad bridge rectifier (terrible AC ripple)....

Now I can at least let the bald spots grow back for awhile before I buy
my next project game and start ripping my hair out again ;-)

Jeff

I'd like to see your notes on the PS rebuild, I think mine is in need of
the same, and not really sure where to start!

JDM wrote:
> Just wanted to update everyone that my Qbert now happily lives again! I
> wanted to thank everyone who so graciously helped me in getting this
> game up and running. Although I'm still having 30 volt issues (almost no
> voltage coming out of the PS at the 30v pin), I believe this will end up
> being a simple fix.
>
> I want to especially thank Erik Jerue for the Qbert Multigame (works
> GREAT!) Erik is a great guy!
>
> I'll post a repair log on this when I get my notes in order, but it
> looks like alot of my problems were a couple bad chip sockets, some
> battery acid damage, a PS needing a rebuild, and a power block that had
> a bad bridge rectifier (terrible AC ripple)....
>
> Now I can at least let the bald spots grow back for awhile before I buy
> my next project game and start ripping my hair out again ;-)
>
> Jeff

Don't know what you have or haven't done, but did you check the 30V zener?

"JDM" <cannonDONTWANTSPAMball240@netscape.net> wrote in message
> Just wanted to update everyone that my Qbert now happily lives again! I
> wanted to thank everyone who so graciously helped me in getting this game
> up and running. Although I'm still having 30 volt issues (almost no
> voltage coming out of the PS at the 30v pin), I believe this will end up
> being a simple fix.
>
> I want to especially thank Erik Jerue for the Qbert Multigame (works
> GREAT!) Erik is a great guy!
>
> I'll post a repair log on this when I get my notes in order, but it looks
> like alot of my problems were a couple bad chip sockets, some battery acid
> damage, a PS needing a rebuild, and a power block that had a bad bridge
> rectifier (terrible AC ripple)....
>
> Now I can at least let the bald spots grow back for awhile before I buy my
> next project game and start ripping my hair out again ;-)
>
> Jeff

You were right on the money Rob. Bad zener that must have taken out the
2N3055 at Q11. Replaced the transistor and tested the zener I pulled
out. It was still good (although a little toasty) so I put it back in. I
get a nice 33 volts and Qbert swears like a drunken sailor ;-) I'll just
keep an eye on the voltage and the sound till I get a new zener to
replace it...

....by the way, after reading all the debate on the subject, what is the
best for this...27v or 30v zener? Looks to be on the fence....opinions?

....off to play Qbert!
Jeff

Rob Carroll wrote:

> Don't know what you have or haven't done, but did you check the 30V zener?
>
> "JDM" <cannonDONTWANTSPAMball240@netscape.net> wrote in message
>
>>Just wanted to update everyone that my Qbert now happily lives again! I
>>wanted to thank everyone who so graciously helped me in getting this game
>>up and running. Although I'm still having 30 volt issues (almost no
>>voltage coming out of the PS at the 30v pin), I believe this will end up
>>being a simple fix.
>>
>>I want to especially thank Erik Jerue for the Qbert Multigame (works
>>GREAT!) Erik is a great guy!
>>
>>I'll post a repair log on this when I get my notes in order, but it looks
>>like alot of my problems were a couple bad chip sockets, some battery acid
>>damage, a PS needing a rebuild, and a power block that had a bad bridge
>>rectifier (terrible AC ripple)....
>>
>>Now I can at least let the bald spots grow back for awhile before I buy my
>>next project game and start ripping my hair out again ;-)
>>
>>Jeff

> ...by the way, after reading all the debate on the subject, what is the
> best for this...27v or 30v zener? Looks to be on the fence....opinions?

My .02...

The sound amp is rated at 34V...maximum. As you discovered, a 30V
zener puts out real-world ~33v or so. That means you're right on the
hairy edge.

A 27v zener will put out closer to 30v real-world, which is what I
used. I've been happy with the mod and haven't had any trouble with it.

Glad you got it working, Bert is such a great cab to have in any
collection! Lots of personality!

27V zener won't work. I found this out the hard way with my Reactor.
Anything less than 30V breaks down... somebody (maybe Spaeth?) explained why
to me and it made perfect sense when he said it... couldn't hope to repeat
anything coherent right now though.

Rob

On 2005-06-12 17:34:19 -0500, "Rob Carroll"
<robert.carroll30@verizon.net> said:

> 27V zener won't work. I found this out the hard way with my Reactor.
> Anything less than 30V breaks down... somebody (maybe Spaeth?)
> explained why to me and it made perfect sense when he said it...
> couldn't hope to repeat anything coherent right now though

Hmm? What was the nature of the failure?

Mine still works, after a year...but maybe I'm on borrowed time.

....off to play Qbert!

That's great news, long live Q*bert! I could just complete the third
level where you jump on a block twice and it reverts back to its
original color.

Since there was some Zener diode discussion here I thought I'd take an
opportunity to ask a question. I recently clipped a leg off a Zener
diode on my Tempest Auxillary board when replacing a capacitor. I've
sourced the replacement, for about a nickel. I'm not sure if there the
leads are pos / neg. How do I read the legs and install this puppy
correctly in the circuit?

Jeff