reselling vs. softmodding

newdude

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2004
Okay heres a question and i would like to see what people think. Here's the thing, why would you ,lets say, buy a 9800 s.e. card and soft mode it to a 9800 pro card just to perform a little bit better and possibly die on you sooner then it might using it normally. When it comes time to upgrade and you want to sell it maybe to get a little money to use torward a new card but not get maybe as good of a sell being that it was overclocked vs. using it normally. I'm just wondering because when i buy a video card I'm thinking i just want to use it normally and then when it comes time to sell it; i can make a factuall claim stating that this card was not overclocked and you are getting a good card therefore more money. Or would i want to overclock it just to get a little performance boost but then who would want to give that much for it when i sell it? What do you think?

cleeve

Illustrious
If you softmod it succesfully, you should advertise it as such when you want to sell it.

People would pay more for a proven softmodding card than one that is not proven to softmod.

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
As OCing is more of a personal prefernce, I wud not buy a card if its already OCed by someone (when i say this i mean OCed by a person and not BFG or GAINWARD or factory OCed). Besides a second hand 9800 SE OCed by a person - no way.

:tongue: <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/priyajeet/fing.jpg" target="_new"><i><font color=red>Very funny, Scotty.</font color=red><font color=blue> Now beam down my clothes.</font color=blue></i></A> :tongue:

RichPLS

Champion
certainly not more, for sure...

<font color=red><pre>_____________________________________
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

A succesfully softmoded R9800SE is worth more than one that is not (which was likely attempted, failed, and then reset without you knowing anything about it).

While you might say 'I would never...' how do you know? I could say I never OC'ed my R9600pro, and the only thing to prove otherwise is the posts here and elsewhere, but I could sell it under Ski_Fan@yahoo.com and say, 'used only for video editing, got a P750 instead, wanna sell to raise cash for third HD, yada yada'. What WUSY did is underhanded IMO, he moded an SE and sold it as full R9800/Pro. But that's another issue. However I' willing to bet most people would pay more for a succesfully moded X800Pro or SE to X800XT than just one that is a regular X800Pro that is an unknown commodity.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

RichPLS

Champion
point taken.

<font color=red><pre>_____________________________________
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

newdude

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2004
okay so lets say i wanted to try and softmode one what would be the best to try with a 9800 se 256 bit, 9700 pro 256, or what card that has a highg succes rate. What do i need to do to get a succesful mode? what can a 9700 pro or 9800 se, or any good card be softmoded to? I hear the 9800se are pretty good for softmodding .

Go to the Overclocking 3D chips section Wusy posted some stuff there. I don't know other than that, he was the R9800SE king.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
That questions is open to preference. Most prefer the buy one that is no OCed since you cannot trust if they did not abuse the OCing and flashed cards will have NO warranty.

If you sell one, be factual of wat was done with it. There are some that will buy a card if there was proves testiment of a certain OC or softmod.

If the product is softmoded then bettery inform them and the fact it has no warranty. People, including me, will buy them but do not expect a high price tag.

<i><font color=red>Only an overclocker can make a computer into a convectional oven.</i></font color=red>

cleeve

Illustrious
Softmodded cards DO have a warranty, if by softmodding you mean using hacked drivers.

I can't imagine someone choosing an untried Radeon 9500 over a proven softmodded Radeon 9500. It just wouldn't make sense.

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
No I was referring those that were flashed and/or have altered BIOS.

<i><font color=red>Only an overclocker can make a computer into a convectional oven.</i></font color=red>