Boot sequence

Tags:
  • Boot
  • Windows XP
May 24, 2005 2:27:30 PM

Hello everyone,

We have a robotic device that will be controlled by third party programs
running on Windows XP pro machines. We have been noticing a problem with
boot up. The problem was that the programs would kick off out of the start
up folder before all of the loading of XP is complete. This causes the
programs to lock up. To solve this we installed an auto-loader into XP that
delays the start of various programs to allow windows to finish loading.
After finally being satisfied with our results we shipped the device and
started the on site installation. Now we find that the boot sequence is
taking an extra minute and a half. That is what I want to fix.

The two computers running the device are networked together with a switch
built into the machine. They are connected as a workgroup. This switch was
connected to our network to allow internet access for updating but the
computers were never connected to our domain. At this point they are still
set up as a small workgroup.

How can I control the order and timing of the loading of everything after
XP? I need to find a way to cause anything not critical to the programs
running to load after the system is up and running. Any method to speed up
the boot sequence would also be appreciated. I am currently using the
AutoAdminLogOn feature from the registry during start up.

I am looking for speed with this so that a system reboot during operation
will cause as little disruption as possible.

LWhite

More about : boot sequence

Anonymous
May 25, 2005 1:32:48 PM

This 'autoloader' is not releasing the task. I would use a Windows Host script instead.

--put this 'go.vbs' in the startup folder---

wscript.sleep 60000
' sleeps for a minute
set shell=createobject("wscript.shell")
' creates a shell object and runs myapp.exe
shell.run "c:\myapp.exe"

--cut--
--

Mark L. Ferguson
FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
"L.White" <lwhite@appliedcomposites.com> wrote in message news:esSIzTHYFHA.3184@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Hello everyone,
>
> We have a robotic device that will be controlled by third party programs running on Windows XP pro machines. We have been noticing
> a problem with boot up. The problem was that the programs would kick off out of the start up folder before all of the loading of
> XP is complete. This causes the programs to lock up. To solve this we installed an auto-loader into XP that delays the start of
> various programs to allow windows to finish loading. After finally being satisfied with our results we shipped the device and
> started the on site installation. Now we find that the boot sequence is taking an extra minute and a half. That is what I want to
> fix.
>
> The two computers running the device are networked together with a switch built into the machine. They are connected as a
> workgroup. This switch was connected to our network to allow internet access for updating but the computers were never connected
> to our domain. At this point they are still set up as a small workgroup.
>
> How can I control the order and timing of the loading of everything after XP? I need to find a way to cause anything not critical
> to the programs running to load after the system is up and running. Any method to speed up the boot sequence would also be
> appreciated. I am currently using the AutoAdminLogOn feature from the registry during start up.
>
> I am looking for speed with this so that a system reboot during operation will cause as little disruption as possible.
>
> LWhite

Anonymous
May 25, 2005 5:14:50 PM

Thank you for your response. However, the auto loader was created to be the
same sort of solution that I am seeking here. I can remove it from the
system and do get the same results; the programs load before windows has
finished loading all of its stuff. While I will absolutely experiment with
what you have given me it is not what I am asking about.

"How can I control the order and timing of the loading of EVERYTHING after
XP starts up? I need to find a way to cause anything not critical to the
programs
running to load after the system is up and running. Any method to speed up
the boot sequence would also be appreciated."

Once the computer has loaded all of the necessary pieces then we will start
our programs. It does not matter how we start them as long as doing so will
not lock up the system. Is there a priority to the sequence of items in the
task bar? Is there a way to set boot order for services? ect....

Thanks again for the VBS script. That has a lot of potential for other
things we might be doing.

LWhite

news:o 1yMmaTYFHA.4024@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

!