Unable to boot from CD

Hello,
I reinstalled Windows about 3 weeks ago and added all my applications and so
on. For safety, I have moved My Documents, which includes My Pictures to my D
drive which is another internal drive, leaving applications and Windows on
the C Drive.
I have Norton Ghost 9 and find that I cannot boot from the Symantec
Recovery Disk, nor from the Recovery Disk which came with the computer to
reinstall Windows. This is the disk I used fror the recent reinstall which
all went fine.
I have the computer just as I want it and it all works fine except for this
problem which means that I cannot use Ghost 9 or reinstall Windows in the
event of a disaster.
It was a disaster which caused me to reinstall last time and I am anxious to
avoid going through it all again. The CPU expired. I had a new CPU and
motherboard professionally installed. Ghost worked OK with the previous
setup. I have spoken to Norton and the conclusion is that it is something to
do with my computer rather than Ghost.
Sorry for the length of this post but hoping that someone can help.
Thanks,
John

Have to set your computer to boot from the CD first in your computer's BIOS?

hth
DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

"jrsjs" <jrsjs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
> I reinstalled Windows about 3 weeks ago and added all my applications and
> so
> on. For safety, I have moved My Documents, which includes My Pictures to
> my D
> drive which is another internal drive, leaving applications and Windows on
> the C Drive.
> I have Norton Ghost 9 and find that I cannot boot from the Symantec
> Recovery Disk, nor from the Recovery Disk which came with the computer to
> reinstall Windows. This is the disk I used fror the recent reinstall which
> all went fine.
> I have the computer just as I want it and it all works fine except for
> this
> problem which means that I cannot use Ghost 9 or reinstall Windows in the
> event of a disaster.
> It was a disaster which caused me to reinstall last time and I am anxious
> avoid going through it all again. The CPU expired. I had a new CPU and
> motherboard professionally installed. Ghost worked OK with the previous
> setup. I have spoken to Norton and the conclusion is that it is something
> do with my computer rather than Ghost.
> Sorry for the length of this post but hoping that someone can help.
> Thanks,
> John

I Would Reccomend, Switching To Another Imaging Program,I've Heard That
Norton Ghost Has Problems Which I Don't Want To Say Exactly But To Make
Things Short,Ghost Is A Buggy Program, Try The Program:
http://www.acronis.com (True Image 8.0) Of Course It Too may have A Few
Bugs but all programs have A Few, this program I've found to be the most
reliable program when needing A Disaster restore, they have A Demo that you
can try .....

I've Been Using It since Version 6 and has saved me quite a few times with
the backups created
"jrsjs" <jrsjs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
> I reinstalled Windows about 3 weeks ago and added all my applications and
> so
> on. For safety, I have moved My Documents, which includes My Pictures to
> my D
> drive which is another internal drive, leaving applications and Windows on
> the C Drive.
> I have Norton Ghost 9 and find that I cannot boot from the Symantec
> Recovery Disk, nor from the Recovery Disk which came with the computer to
> reinstall Windows. This is the disk I used fror the recent reinstall which
> all went fine.
> I have the computer just as I want it and it all works fine except for
> this
> problem which means that I cannot use Ghost 9 or reinstall Windows in the
> event of a disaster.
> It was a disaster which caused me to reinstall last time and I am anxious
> avoid going through it all again. The CPU expired. I had a new CPU and
> motherboard professionally installed. Ghost worked OK with the previous
> setup. I have spoken to Norton and the conclusion is that it is something
> do with my computer rather than Ghost.
> Sorry for the length of this post but hoping that someone can help.
> Thanks,
> John

Symantec support is probably correct, especially since the problem is not
limited to the GHOST boot disk. Some PCs are set to boot first from the
internal hard drive, which is not actually very useful. I prefer CD, then
floppy, then internal hard drive.

You can change the boot order by entering the BIOS setup. Your PC manual
(or web support site) should be able to tell you how. On my PC I hit F2
early in the booting process, long before XP begins to wake up. But, other
PCs use other keys or key combos to access the BIOS.

Once inside the BIOS, look for a tab like "BOOT". On this tab there should
be a list showing the boot order. If the CDROM drive is listed, promote it
to the #1 position, usually by highlighting it and pressing the "+" key.
But, as there is no standard among BIOS setups, read all hints that might
appear on te BOOT page. If CDROM drive is not listed, then add it via the
menus provided, then promte it to #1. Insert a bootable CD and reboot.

If your PC has a flioppy drive, I would make it #2 in the boot order.

"jrsjs" <jrsjs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
> I reinstalled Windows about 3 weeks ago and added all my applications and
> so
> on. For safety, I have moved My Documents, which includes My Pictures to
> my D
> drive which is another internal drive, leaving applications and Windows on
> the C Drive.
> I have Norton Ghost 9 and find that I cannot boot from the Symantec
> Recovery Disk, nor from the Recovery Disk which came with the computer to
> reinstall Windows. This is the disk I used fror the recent reinstall which
> all went fine.
> I have the computer just as I want it and it all works fine except for
> this
> problem which means that I cannot use Ghost 9 or reinstall Windows in the
> event of a disaster.
> It was a disaster which caused me to reinstall last time and I am anxious
> avoid going through it all again. The CPU expired. I had a new CPU and
> motherboard professionally installed. Ghost worked OK with the previous
> setup. I have spoken to Norton and the conclusion is that it is something
> do with my computer rather than Ghost.
> Sorry for the length of this post but hoping that someone can help.
> Thanks,
> John

Thank you very much for your replies everyone. I have checked the bios and my
CD/DVD drive is at the top. The hard drive is second. I will move them around
as suggested. But I still cannot boot from the CD. It is a mystery.
Everything else is working fine. It has just occurred to me that I should
perhaps try System Restore.
I have heard of Acronis and will have a look at that.
Your help is much appreciated.
John