Google Launches Chrome Operating System

Status
Not open for further replies.

sublifer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
People do use netbooks while not connected to the internet... so what are people supposed to do with a ChromeOS netbook when they don't have an internet connection? It'd just be an over-sized paperweight.

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
Everything web-based: good for netbooks but not for more powerful laptops and desktops. What happens when your security is compromised because you foolishly did EVERYTHING over the web. What happens when your internet is down in your area? Your operating system stops working?

We all know, this is good for competition and what-not but Google is interested in gaming and what-not. They just want a piece of the pie and Google is slowly taking over the world, one computer at a time.

zahan

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2007
MicroSucks is gonna be p*ssed, serves them right though for making only cream filled OS and not having a liteweight option.

Cache

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
But will it run games? If I can't enjoy my PC to its fullest, I'll stick with what does--even if I have to pay Redmond through the nose for it.

Still, I'm excited to see what options they will have for this, as netbooks are only the tip of the iceberg (a platform I expect them to expand from very quickly).

Upendra09

Distinguished
if Apple got on this, they would dominate the market.

As for google i like it, i would definately trust the OS, but would still stay with windows. if i got a new comp maybe i would use the chrome OS. The browser is awesome so the OS might be too.

cimtaurus

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
[citation][nom]Cache[/nom]But will it run games? If I can't enjoy my PC to its fullest, I'll stick with what does--even if I have to pay Redmond through the nose for it. Still, I'm excited to see what options they will have for this, as netbooks are only the tip of the iceberg (a platform I expect them to expand from very quickly).[/citation]
Says open source...doesn't necessarily mean free but I would guess they advertise on your OS to make cash rather than charge you for it. Let's face it, the primary model that Google uses is ad based revenue so it wouldn't be a far stretch for them to ad base your OS.

lowguppy

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
Designed from the ground up... with the Linux kernel as the ground.

An OS that doesn't load many services has advantages. I just doubt it will have an API that can do more than web-based gaming.

I'm guessing it will have local apps that run using browser friendly code so that you can use it while not on the internet.

Still, can't really judge it until we know more. I look forward to seeing it, but I'm not holding my breath.

ktasley

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Just a thought,

who thinks that this is another step towards a fully inter-net based computing environment? and glocal culture?

and who thinks that might be a really scary world? with limitless advantages

killerb255

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Maybe this could finally give Linux a decent amount of operating system marketshare. Google is a big name and can put a dent in the current Microsoft share.

The reason I couldn't wholeheartedly recommend Linux to casual computer users is because it's not user-friendly enough for them. Granted it can be MADE to be (i.e.: Ubuntu), there are still certain things in Linux that can only be done through a terminal (mounting a flash drive, anyone?)

If Chrome OS can be user-friendly enough for casual users, tweakable enough for geeks (which it should be--it's using a Linux kernel), and can run common apps without jumping through loops*, then we may have a winner!

*: By "jumping through loops," I mean using Windows emulators, Wine, or substitute programs. Granted the substitutes may be acceptable (i.e.: GIMP), marketing that to the end user is like saying Dr. Thunder is just as good as Dr. Pepper.

bigbadbrad

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009
[citation][nom]doomtomb[/nom]What happens when your internet is down in your area? Your operating system stops working?[/citation]

"The Chrome OS is created for people who spend most of their time online"

How are you going to check Facebook or send email when your internet is down?

So basically, this is just like another Linux distro. Distro's like these already exists, except by Google doing it more people are exposed (publicity) to it.

Hopefully Google will be able to make this OS more user friendly to the average computer user. At the same time I hope Google doesn't change the distro (ie minimal command line,etc) too much as to alienate old Linux gurus.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
Why do this? What value will this add to the marketplace? Not criticizing, not rhetorical. Honest questions...

Support (and inexpensive support) is key here.

sublifer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
[citation][nom]Cache[/nom]But will it run games? If I can't enjoy my PC to its fullest, I'll stick with what does--even if I have to pay Redmond through the nose for it. Still, I'm excited to see what options they will have for this, as netbooks are only the tip of the iceberg (a platform I expect them to expand from very quickly).[/citation]
it will play all the web-based games you can handle (no crysis Haha) I'm sure they'll have java support but you'll have to wait and see about flash support though.

sublifer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
[citation][nom]bigbadbrad[/nom]"The Chrome OS is created for people who spend most of their time online"How are you going to check Facebook or send email when your internet is down?[/citation]
but what if you want to write a novel or read a pdf article while you have no internet connection? Like on a plane or train trip or on vacation in the islands?

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
[citation][nom]killerb255[/nom]Maybe this could finally give Linux a decent amount of operating system marketshare. [/citation]
I'm not so sure, because...

[citation][nom]Shadow703793[/nom]So basically, this is just like another Linux distro. Distro's like these already exists, except by Google doing it more people are exposed (publicity) to it.[/citation]
It's NOT "just another distro." Nearly all Linux distributions today are based around the X.org graphics server. The glaring exception is Android, which uses kernel-level frame buffering instead. This means that programs or front-ends designed for X won't work natively on Android or a new Google OS without X. And just to clarify, that's the vast majority of GUI-based software available for Linux today. It'll be more work to port existing apps that modern Linux users "need" nowadays, like Open Office, WINE or Firefox.
So while it's arguably going to be a Linux distribution, it won't be "just another distro." Like Android, programmers are going to have to rethink their platform development if they want to support it. In this case it looks like Google is trying to nudge people towards web-based applications almost exclusively (i.e. a hosted service like Gmail as an email client, Google Docs or similar for word processesing, etc.). This is even different from the Palm Pre's webOS, where only the interfaces for the programs should to be built with web-style markup.

Personally I'm more comfortable with local instead of cloud-based applications (Gmail being the biggest exception), and this Google OS doesn't sound appealing to me at the moment.

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
agree with someone above...this is a linux minus all of the complex stuff.
i just hope this google OS handles media files (photo,video,music) and slick and simple GUI as vista/win7 since that is what i miss when using Ubuntu.
if they can do that then we'll have reasonable prices for consumer MS OS.

Sicundercover

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2007
Just because it has a Linux Kernel doesnt make it a "Linux OS" no one calls Windows "NT" but it has a NT kernel.

It just means it has a Linux Kernel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS