KWPLunchbox

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2003
My roommate brought home the game the other day and I installed it. Like everyone else, I had to wait for activation. Fine, no problem, he returned it since I wanted Silver anyways for Half-Life Source. I bought it tonight through Steam and it STILL asks for a CD. I can't find any way around it without having the CD and Valve's forums are shutdown due to the traffic. Steam is a massive pile of [-peep-].

<font color=purple>AMD XP 2500+ @ 3200+/200, A7N8X Dlx, 512mb PC3200 Corsair XMS DDR, ATi 9800Pro, Audigy Platinum, 2/5 TB of storage, TDK 48x CDRW, Lite-On 16x DVD, XP Pro SP1, and more neon than a ghetto sled

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
haha, having fun there !!

I just finished an hr of gaming - was really really really good, hand down. AWESOME graphics.

I dont get it ? How can u return an opened game box ? Isnt that not allowed to to piracy protection.
If it wasnt opened, how did u install it so it is asking for CDs now ?

Uninstall all steam, Half-Life 2 files. Get rid of all registry entries. Reisnstall via steam.

Also, try searching suprnova/p2p/torrents for the steam cache of HL2. It shld be out soon and surely will be faster than the Valve servers. Its legal to get the game files via any meathod - p2p, friends etc...but to play it, u gotta buy it.

:tongue: <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/priyajeet/fing.jpg" target="_new"><i><font color=red>Very funny, Scotty.</font color=red><font color=blue> Now beam down my clothes.</font color=blue></i></A> :tongue:

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
You can always go the store and tell them that it will not install, like cannot locate cab#2 or some sh!t like that. If that store has a return policy, most in us is 15days, then they cannot deny legally.

Now if you reapeatedly buy there and return there then they will start testing your returns. EB is a vendor that will do this.

<i><font color=red>Only an overclocker can make a computer into a convectional oven.</i></font color=red>

pauldh

Illustrious
They only exchange for same software if it is opened. I haven't seen ones that will just hand money back. They are Idiots if they do.

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 1GB Corsair XMS 4000 Pro Series, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
Thats correct what you said there and what I meant, they will exchange with the same if opened and refund sealed.

<i><font color=red>Only an overclocker can make a computer into a convectional oven.</i></font color=red>

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
got this from [H]

<b><font color=blue><i>HL2 Misses:
From a game retailer...

Hi Kyle,

As a games reseller, I received this communication from my distributor. It looks as if it was given to them by Vivendi, regarding some early (but not sever, it looks like) problems with HL2 installation & authentication.

HALF-LIFE 2 - NEWS BULLETIN

Vivendi Universal Games would like to notify you of two important updates regarding the product installation for Half-Life 2. The issues identified below are easily addressed and should not constitute a reason for a product return with consumers. We recommend that this information is broadly communicated to retail store managers and other personnel who are interacting with consumers who purchase Half-Life 2.

1. Half Life 2 - CD Installation error when Counter-strike: Source is not selected

The following has been identified as a known issue with Half Life 2 Standard Edition (not Collector's or European DVD editions):

Problem: If during the initial installation process the option to install "Counter-strike: Source" is NOT selected, an error may occur during installation. The message will be: cabinet file error, fatal disk error, or something similar.

Solution: Cancel the current installation process and reinstall the game from the beginning, starting with Disk #1. Make certain to select the option to install both Half-Life 2 and Counter-strike: Source.

Note: If you prefer not to retain the Counter-strike: Source program on your system AFTER INSTALLATION, you can remove it using the following procedure:

After HL2 has been successfully installed, open up the Steam client.
Select the Play Games list
RIGHT click on Counter-strike: Source and select Properties
Select "Delete Local Content."

2. Product Authentication Delay When Installing Half-Life 2

Some consumers may experience delays in authenticating Half-Life 2 during the installation process. This is due to the high volume of consumers who have purchased Half-Life 2 and are installing the game, which is causing high traffic on the Steam authentication servers. Please inform any Half-Life 2 customers that encounter this situation to keep trying, as this is a temporary delay.</b></font color=blue></i>

:tongue: <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/priyajeet/fing.jpg" target="_new"><i><font color=red>Very funny, Scotty.</font color=red><font color=blue> Now beam down my clothes.</font color=blue></i></A> :tongue:

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
Looks like [H] had a quite of people who were farked :lol:
They have let out some offensive attack on valve.
<A HREF="http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=Njkx" target="_new">http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=Njkx</A>