my system is slower than before

i've been downloading quite a few program these lately such as pop-ups
blocker and etc... but after doin that my laptop becomes slower than before.
Is it have somthing to do with my freespace on drive C ... because i've
checked my free space and there's plenty of free spaces left... and one more
problem that i've been facing is i have two accounts on my laptop one is ok,
but the other the administrator's account is quite slow and always
stucked.... i've to reboot my laptop a few times before i get to start using
my laptop... thanks.....
7 answers Last reply
More about system slower before

    Just wanted to add that I would never let a 3rd party util touch my
    winsock in Win XP.
    There are 2 different winsock fixes in WinXP one for service pack 2,
    and one for service pack 1.
    If you do an SP1 winsock fix on your computer that has SP2 installed,
    say goodbye to the internet. At the very least, a repair install is
    required to replace the reg entries that you just ripped out.

    In news:BE4A7792-27B1-409C-BC75-5E60EA4101C6@microsoft.com,
    knocked silly <knocked silly@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > i've been downloading quite a few program these lately such as pop-ups
    > blocker and etc... but after doin that my laptop becomes slower than
    > before. Is it have somthing to do with my freespace on drive C ...
    > because i've checked my free space and there's plenty of free spaces
    > left... and one more problem that i've been facing is i have two
    > accounts on my laptop one is ok, but the other the administrator's
    > account is quite slow and always stucked.... i've to reboot my laptop
    > a few times before i get to start using my laptop... thanks.....

    Delete your temp files. Open IE, click tools, options, delete temp files,
    select to delete offline content.

    Defrag... Right click on the drive in My Computer, click on tools, select
    defrag.

    Check for malware. The below pile of links and poorly typed out text (now
    cut and pasted) will give you a good head start.

    Virus:
    www.grisoft.com - AVG
    www.antivir.com - AntiVir
    http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/index.cfm - CA eTrust

    Spyware:
    www.lavasoft.de - AdAware
    http://security.kolla.de/ - Spybot
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx -
    Microsoft Anti-Spyware Beta

    Trojan:
    www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/ - a Squared
    http://swatit.org/ Swat It

    Before cleaning download this:

    LSP-Fix - a free program to repair damaged Winsock 2 stacks:
    http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

    Use that should cleaning out your PC remove or damage your in-place winsock
    and you can't connect to the internet.

    From the virus and trojan category pick one application, they're all free,
    download it and install it. Make sure that you update it. From the spyware
    category pick all three, download them and update them to the latest
    definitions. Reboot, press the F8 key over and over again, from the menu
    select Safe mode without networking. Do your cleaning in there. Reboot to
    regular mode and run the scans again. This isn't going to be quick or easy
    but it might just solve your problems and it should prevent you from further
    problems so long as you keep them updated and scan often. Most of them can
    be enabled to update and scan automatically.

    Galen

    Sherlock Holmes

    In news:1116959485.297642.198180@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com,
    Raztax <v_2todur@hotmail.com> had this to say:

    > Just wanted to add that I would never let a 3rd party util touch my
    > winsock in Win XP.
    > There are 2 different winsock fixes in WinXP one for service pack 2,
    > and one for service pack 1.
    > If you do an SP1 winsock fix on your computer that has SP2 installed,
    > say goodbye to the internet. At the very least, a repair install is
    > required to replace the reg entries that you just ripped out.

    Interesting, please don't think I'm calling you wrong. (Normally the manual
    method - netsh winsock reset - is included but seems to have gone missing in
    my latest edit.) Basically I'm asking for any documentation that says the
    tools would do what you said. I have absolutely no idea if they will or not
    and at the moment haven't time (nor inclination) to test this as I'm
    actually in the middle of a bit of a project for a change.

    Galen

    Sherlock Holmes

    netsh winsock reset is the service pack 2 fix. It will not work if you
    only have service pack 1 installed. With service pack 1, you need to
    manually delete 2 registry keys, restart the pc, reinstall tcp/ip,
    restart the pc, and voila you're done.

    If you would like documentation, check out this link:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811259

    As far as the documentation that says the tools would do what I said? I
    am not sure what you mean, since I didnt say the tools would do
    anything. I said I wouldnt use a tool to reset my winsock, because if
    it used the SP1 fix on an SP2 install...then good luck with that.
    System restore may fix it, provided you have a recent restore point
    that was made before the winsock was corrupted.

    I guess I just prefer to do it manually. I dont use reg cleaners, or
    any other programs that touch my registry (more than they have to).

    In news:1117248233.621421.162930@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com,
    Raztax <v_2todur@hotmail.com> had this to say:

    > netsh winsock reset is the service pack 2 fix. It will not work if you
    > only have service pack 1 installed. With service pack 1, you need to
    > manually delete 2 registry keys, restart the pc, reinstall tcp/ip,
    > restart the pc, and voila you're done.
    >
    > If you would like documentation, check out this link:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811259
    >
    > As far as the documentation that says the tools would do what I said?
    > I am not sure what you mean, since I didnt say the tools would do
    > anything. I said I wouldnt use a tool to reset my winsock, because if
    > it used the SP1 fix on an SP2 install...then good luck with that.
    > System restore may fix it, provided you have a recent restore point
    > that was made before the winsock was corrupted.
    >
    > I guess I just prefer to do it manually. I dont use reg cleaners, or
    > any other programs that touch my registry (more than they have to).

    Interesting add-on to this event. Recently a client called with issues. No
    amount of the various winsock repair tools would fix it. The end result was
    I did it manually. I just killed the reg entries, rebooted, installed TCP/IP
    over itself, rebooted, and was done with it. I don't think I'd recommend
    that for most people though. Most people aren't really ready for that it
    seems.

    Galen

    Sherlock Holmes

    knocked silly Wrote:
    > i've been downloading quite a few program these lately such as pop-ups
    > blocker and etc... but after doin that my laptop becomes slower than
    > before.
    > Is it have somthing to do with my freespace on drive C ... because
    > i've
    > checked my free space and there's plenty of free spaces left... and one
    > more
    > problem that i've been facing is i have two accounts on my laptop one
    > is ok,
    > but the other the administrator's account is quite slow and always
    > stucked.... i've to reboot my laptop a few times before i get to start
    > using
    > my laptop... thanks.....

    Faced a similar problem on mine and tried defragging. Worked for me.
    Wouldnt suggest the windows defragger though. Its too slow.

    --
    bumbleb

    That's the only way to properly fix a service pack 1 winsock
    issue...ready or not ;)

Laptops Support Microsoft Windows XP