  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
a b D Laptop
May 24, 2005 2:10:08 PM

i've been downloading quite a few program these lately such as pop-ups
blocker and etc... but after doin that my laptop becomes slower than before.
Is it have somthing to do with my freespace on drive C ... because i've
checked my free space and there's plenty of free spaces left... and one more
problem that i've been facing is i have two accounts on my laptop one is ok,
but the other the administrator's account is quite slow and always
stucked.... i've to reboot my laptop a few times before i get to start using
my laptop... thanks.....

More about : system slower

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 24, 2005 3:31:25 PM

Just wanted to add that I would never let a 3rd party util touch my
winsock in Win XP.
There are 2 different winsock fixes in WinXP one for service pack 2,
and one for service pack 1.
If you do an SP1 winsock fix on your computer that has SP2 installed,
say goodbye to the internet. At the very least, a repair install is
required to replace the reg entries that you just ripped out.
May 24, 2005 5:14:01 PM

In news:BE4A7792-27B1-409C-BC75-5E60EA4101C6@microsoft.com,
knocked silly <knocked silly@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> i've been downloading quite a few program these lately such as pop-ups
> blocker and etc... but after doin that my laptop becomes slower than
> before. Is it have somthing to do with my freespace on drive C ...
> because i've checked my free space and there's plenty of free spaces
> left... and one more problem that i've been facing is i have two
> accounts on my laptop one is ok, but the other the administrator's
> account is quite slow and always stucked.... i've to reboot my laptop
> a few times before i get to start using my laptop... thanks.....

Delete your temp files. Open IE, click tools, options, delete temp files,
select to delete offline content.

Defrag... Right click on the drive in My Computer, click on tools, select
defrag.

Check for malware. The below pile of links and poorly typed out text (now
cut and pasted) will give you a good head start.

Virus:
www.grisoft.com - AVG
www.antivir.com - AntiVir
http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/index.cfm - CA eTrust

Spyware:
www.lavasoft.de - AdAware
http://security.kolla.de/ - Spybot
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/softwa... -
Microsoft Anti-Spyware Beta

Trojan:
www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/ - a Squared
http://swatit.org/ Swat It

Before cleaning download this:

LSP-Fix - a free program to repair damaged Winsock 2 stacks:
http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

Use that should cleaning out your PC remove or damage your in-place winsock
and you can't connect to the internet.

From the virus and trojan category pick one application, they're all free,
download it and install it. Make sure that you update it. From the spyware
category pick all three, download them and update them to the latest
definitions. Reboot, press the F8 key over and over again, from the menu
select Safe mode without networking. Do your cleaning in there. Reboot to
regular mode and run the scans again. This isn't going to be quick or easy
but it might just solve your problems and it should prevent you from further
problems so long as you keep them updated and scan often. Most of them can
be enabled to update and scan automatically.

Galen

Sherlock Holmes
Related resources
May 25, 2005 2:06:33 PM

In news:1116959485.297642.198180@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com,
Raztax <v_2todur@hotmail.com> had this to say:

> Just wanted to add that I would never let a 3rd party util touch my
> winsock in Win XP.
> There are 2 different winsock fixes in WinXP one for service pack 2,
> and one for service pack 1.
> If you do an SP1 winsock fix on your computer that has SP2 installed,
> say goodbye to the internet. At the very least, a repair install is
> required to replace the reg entries that you just ripped out.

Interesting, please don't think I'm calling you wrong. (Normally the manual
method - netsh winsock reset - is included but seems to have gone missing in
my latest edit.) Basically I'm asking for any documentation that says the
tools would do what you said. I have absolutely no idea if they will or not
and at the moment haven't time (nor inclination) to test this as I'm
actually in the middle of a bit of a project for a change.

Galen

Sherlock Holmes
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 27, 2005 11:43:53 PM

netsh winsock reset is the service pack 2 fix. It will not work if you
only have service pack 1 installed. With service pack 1, you need to
manually delete 2 registry keys, restart the pc, reinstall tcp/ip,
restart the pc, and voila you're done.

If you would like documentation, check out this link:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811259

As far as the documentation that says the tools would do what I said? I
am not sure what you mean, since I didnt say the tools would do
anything. I said I wouldnt use a tool to reset my winsock, because if
it used the SP1 fix on an SP2 install...then good luck with that.
System restore may fix it, provided you have a recent restore point
that was made before the winsock was corrupted.

I guess I just prefer to do it manually. I dont use reg cleaners, or
any other programs that touch my registry (more than they have to).
May 30, 2005 2:47:54 AM

In news:1117248233.621421.162930@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com,
Raztax <v_2todur@hotmail.com> had this to say:

> netsh winsock reset is the service pack 2 fix. It will not work if you
> only have service pack 1 installed. With service pack 1, you need to
> manually delete 2 registry keys, restart the pc, reinstall tcp/ip,
> restart the pc, and voila you're done.
>
> If you would like documentation, check out this link:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811259
>
> As far as the documentation that says the tools would do what I said?
> I am not sure what you mean, since I didnt say the tools would do
> anything. I said I wouldnt use a tool to reset my winsock, because if
> it used the SP1 fix on an SP2 install...then good luck with that.
> System restore may fix it, provided you have a recent restore point
> that was made before the winsock was corrupted.
>
> I guess I just prefer to do it manually. I dont use reg cleaners, or
> any other programs that touch my registry (more than they have to).

Interesting add-on to this event. Recently a client called with issues. No
amount of the various winsock repair tools would fix it. The end result was
I did it manually. I just killed the reg entries, rebooted, installed TCP/IP
over itself, rebooted, and was done with it. I don't think I'd recommend
that for most people though. Most people aren't really ready for that it
seems.

Galen

Sherlock Holmes
May 30, 2005 7:35:35 AM

knocked silly Wrote:
> i've been downloading quite a few program these lately such as pop-ups
> blocker and etc... but after doin that my laptop becomes slower than
> before.
> Is it have somthing to do with my freespace on drive C ... because
> i've
> checked my free space and there's plenty of free spaces left... and one
> more
> problem that i've been facing is i have two accounts on my laptop one
> is ok,
> but the other the administrator's account is quite slow and always
> stucked.... i've to reboot my laptop a few times before i get to start
> using
> my laptop... thanks.....

Faced a similar problem on mine and tried defragging. Worked for me.
Wouldnt suggest the windows defragger though. Its too slow.

--
bumbleb
Anonymous

That's the only way to properly fix a service pack 1 winsock
issue...ready or not ;)
!