Do I run Disk Cleanup for each user account?

There are 4 named user accounts + the guest account on my XP Professional
Computer, but I am the only administrator. I ran Disk Cleanup, then another
user logged on and ran it, and there were a large number of files that could
be deleted. It looks like Cleanup only worked for the account of the person
logged in, but I assumed that if I run it as an administrator, it would clean
up all accounts, not just mine.
Is there a way for me to run it to clean them all up, or do I have to rely
on each user doing their own housework?
4 answers Last reply
More about disk cleanup user account

    Use "Runas"

    start, run, type:

    HH %windir%\Help\ntcmds.chm::/runas.htm

    --

    Mark L. Ferguson
    FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
    "Pegasus Host" <PegasusHost@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:02137FCB-BE53-40A7-9B57-99A70583AB96@microsoft.com...
    > There are 4 named user accounts + the guest account on my XP Professional
    > Computer, but I am the only administrator. I ran Disk Cleanup, then another
    > user logged on and ran it, and there were a large number of files that could
    > be deleted. It looks like Cleanup only worked for the account of the person
    > logged in, but I assumed that if I run it as an administrator, it would clean
    > up all accounts, not just mine.
    > Is there a way for me to run it to clean them all up, or do I have to rely
    > on each user doing their own housework?

    I ran that, and it brought up a help screen for the Command line Reference,
    but I couldn't figure out what to do after that, could you clarify it for me
    please - sorry if I'm missing something obvious

    "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

    > Use "Runas"
    >
    > start, run, type:
    >
    > HH %windir%\Help\ntcmds.chm::/runas.htm
    >
    > --
    >
    > Mark L. Ferguson
    > FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
    > ..
    > "Pegasus Host" <PegasusHost@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:02137FCB-BE53-40A7-9B57-99A70583AB96@microsoft.com...
    > > There are 4 named user accounts + the guest account on my XP Professional
    > > Computer, but I am the only administrator. I ran Disk Cleanup, then another
    > > user logged on and ran it, and there were a large number of files that could
    > > be deleted. It looks like Cleanup only worked for the account of the person
    > > logged in, but I assumed that if I run it as an administrator, it would clean
    > > up all accounts, not just mine.
    > > Is there a way for me to run it to clean them all up, or do I have to rely
    > > on each user doing their own housework?

    Rightclick the Disk Cleanup icon on the start menu/../system tools/.., then Properties, shortcut tab/advanced button.

    --

    "Pegasus Host" <PegasusHost@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:19465BD4-99C7-4FDE-AA51-94C1DFA4B061@microsoft.com...
    >I ran that, and it brought up a help screen for the Command line Reference,
    > but I couldn't figure out what to do after that, could you clarify it for me
    > please - sorry if I'm missing something obvious
    >
    > "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
    >
    >> Use "Runas"
    >>
    >> start, run, type:
    >>
    >> HH %windir%\Help\ntcmds.chm::/runas.htm
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Mark L. Ferguson
    >> FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
    >> marfers notes for windows xp http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/chatNotes.htm
    >> ..
    >> "Pegasus Host" <PegasusHost@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > There are 4 named user accounts + the guest account on my XP Professional
    >> > Computer, but I am the only administrator. I ran Disk Cleanup, then another
    >> > user logged on and ran it, and there were a large number of files that could
    >> > be deleted. It looks like Cleanup only worked for the account of the person
    >> > logged in, but I assumed that if I run it as an administrator, it would clean
    >> > up all accounts, not just mine.
    >> > Is there a way for me to run it to clean them all up, or do I have to rely
    >> > on each user doing their own housework?

    When I ran it having done that, it gave me the option to run it as current
    user, or another user, but the only 2 accounts visible in the second option
    were mine and the administrator, none of the other 3 named accounts. I tried
    to run it as the administrator but without knowing the password that came up
    with en error message - unable to log on: logon failure: unknown user name or
    bad password.

    "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

    > Rightclick the Disk Cleanup icon on the start menu/../system tools/.., then Properties, shortcut tab/advanced button.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Mark L. Ferguson
    > FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
    > ..
    > "Pegasus Host" <PegasusHost@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:19465BD4-99C7-4FDE-AA51-94C1DFA4B061@microsoft.com...
    > >I ran that, and it brought up a help screen for the Command line Reference,
    > > but I couldn't figure out what to do after that, could you clarify it for me
    > > please - sorry if I'm missing something obvious
    > >
    > > "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Use "Runas"
    > >>
    > >> start, run, type:
    > >>
    > >> HH %windir%\Help\ntcmds.chm::/runas.htm