Wimax

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
April 8, 2004 12:25:16 PM

I'm trying to figure out exactly what Wimax is...

Are there actually any real products either out there or in the pipe
line, and failing that when are they expected to arrive?

Is it really wireless-everywhere? What do clients need to receive a
signal?

Marconi had a product called something like WIP-LL - would the
infrastructure be similar to Wimax?

I've had a real project in mind for a while now - it would involve the
worlds first totally wired coutry (it's a small country); Wimax has
potential to deliver this if what I've read so far is true, but
everything I've seen so far talks about standards, but doesn't go into
detail about products and costs.

I need to know how much a base station would cost to set up, and how
large and expensive the receiving antannae would cost. Is anybody out
there able to shed any light on these questions?

Peter

More about : wimax

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 15, 2004 5:51:34 AM

Peter,

WiMAX should provide an alternative solution to cable modems, DSL
connections, or conventional T1's in addition to other applications. To
find out more about what WiMAX is, I recommend that you go to the
following URL and read the FAQs and Overview located in the White Papers
and General Info Section.

http://www.wimaxforum.org/news/downloads

As for products, keep in mind that there are very few WiMAX (802.16,
etc.) products on the market and interoperability issues still have to
be worked out. Here is a link to one "802.16 compliant" product from
Redline Communications:

http://www.redlinecommunications.com/index.html?product...

As for the cost of WiMAX equipment, I would expect them to be much
higher than for 802.11a/b/g equipment with the base station equipment
initially perhaps costing several thousand dollars and each customer
node costing perhaps several hundred dollars to a few thousand dollars.
However, in time costs should fall. More products should be trickling
on to the market this year, with a large number of products being
introduced next year.

Best of luck connecting your country! Perhaps WiMAX and Wi-Fi (802.11)
will help enable you to provide connectively at a lower cost than
running fiber and copper cables everywhere.

Regards,

Mike

!