Sign in with
Your question

ATI destroys Nvidia in HL2...says ATI

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 16, 2004 1:58:51 PM

Check these benchies out: <A HREF="http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=19707" target="_new"> HL2 Benchmarks by Ati </A>

Impressive performance by ALL of the ATI lineup.

Hmmm, a bit biased perhaps? Or does HL2 really run THAT much better on Radeons

"Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my drive?"
P4 3.0C HT, Intel D865GBF, 1GB Crucial PC3200 DDR, 2x WD 36GB Raptor 10kRPM, BBA Radeon 9800PRO, SB Audigy, Hauppage WinTV
a b U Graphics card
November 16, 2004 2:08:41 PM

I was just reading that. It will be interesting to see what happens when the major review sites look into performance and IQ in detail. These numbers are looking more like the VST than CSS. Maybe ATI will dominate HL2 as much as NV does in Doom 3. Can't wait for more info, and to get my hands on the game tonight.

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 1GB Corsair XMS 4000 Pro Series, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt
November 16, 2004 2:13:11 PM

I find it hard to believe that in otherwise identical setups Ati is around 50% faster than Nvidia. If they are, that's great.... but 50%?

[EDIT]Oopsie.. ok so it's only that high in the first test, but still..[/EDIT]

---
"Sex without love is an empty experience...
But as empty experiences go, it's one of the best" - Woody Allen<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ChipDeath on 11/16/04 04:14 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
November 16, 2004 2:18:25 PM

Looking at the plain jane GF6800... it sucks according to these charts(second chart from bottom). It is destroyed by the X800 series at those settings.

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 1GB Corsair XMS 4000 Pro Series, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt
a b U Graphics card
November 16, 2004 2:22:19 PM

Why in the world does it say you edited that at 4:14PM?

November 16, 2004 2:27:37 PM

UK local time I guess.

Although I'm in Norway so It's actually 5:27pm for me now

---
But as empty experiences go, it's one of the best" - Woody Allen
November 16, 2004 4:24:39 PM

That is comforting new since Im still hell bent on using my 9800pro-xt 128mb card and didnt wanna upgrade till r500 cores come out since I want that PS3.0 support.

<i><font color=red>Only an overclocker can make a computer into a convectional oven.</i></font color=red>
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
November 16, 2004 7:57:30 PM

Sorry But what a load of fuuckin sh1t. (Remark not aimed at anyone of the amazing people in these Forums)

These are benchmarks done by ATI If I was a ATI PR guy, I would benchmark with the best betas for ATI and choose the sh1ty old nvidia drivers, and what would you get high class hoe which can suck better (optimised drivers) than a industrial hoover compared to a old hoe (unoptimised drivers).

Just imagine if Nvidia did a benchmark wholey crap i could see nvidia beating ATI with nvidia PR guys upfront.

This sort of crap should be left out, and should be carried out by non bios reviewers and websites like tomshardware.

Also driver optimistations must take a part for ati cards since its a ati partnered game, like doom3 was for nvidia but as soon as ati released had updated drivers there was not much of a performance difference between the 2 companys cards.

I hate Nvidia and ATI playing dirty tricks and toying with are minds and peoples pockets.
a b U Graphics card
November 16, 2004 8:28:34 PM

Quote:
Just imagine if Nvidia did a benchmark wholey crap i could see nvidia beating ATI with nvidia PR guys upfront.

We don't have to imagine; we've seen it time and time again. :wink:

a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
November 16, 2004 9:59:02 PM

Yes, nickspeed is obviously very green for this forum.

Cause it's not like nV posted a bunch of powerpoint slides a month ago showing the FX5200 and 5500 as being the best value choice for 'gamers' simply based on D3 results.

Nah, that'd never happen right?

How about PS2.0++++++++++....

Never heard of it.

I discounted these results from the start, but ti does make one thnk that there will be some performance advanatages to the ATI cards for the time being. The question is what will be the reponse, there's always something. Expect it in the 74.47 (HL mirrored) driver or whatever they are, cause the 70.41 ain't got it right now.

It would be interesting if there was now this balancing factor. All the time we keep saying the Xxxx suck in D3, well if the tables are turned then really it would once be back to more than just one game, since both HL2 and D3 would cancel each other out, leaving every other game.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil: 
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
November 16, 2004 10:21:04 PM

BTW, DriverHeaven's 'review' is matching up with those numbers though. Noticeable lead for the ATI cards.

<A HREF="http://www.driverheaven.net/articles/Half life 2/" target="_new">http://www.driverheaven.net/articles/Half life 2/</A>

And the Drivers are 4.12 against 66.93s. While there is the 70.41 beta drivers out there for nV, I doubt they will bring much difference to these results. Expect that later like I said above.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil: 
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
November 16, 2004 11:41:25 PM

Another Excelent reply by the guys in this forum. (greatape Pauldh) yes nvidias done it so many times I have lost count.

And I agree I would not expect much from beta 70.41 drivers nvidia will need a couple of months to match ati`s also I can see the 6800gt matching the x800pro and the 6600gt matching the x700XT when driver optimisation has occured for nvidia.

Greatgrapeape your a sound man with some knowledge are you a university graduate?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by nickspeed on 11/16/04 08:50 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
November 16, 2004 11:55:08 PM

hahahaha Grape you got a fanboy! maybe a stalker too! :D 

sound man with knowledge? that's not the grape WE know ;) 

psss its called spending too much time on the internet :p 

Grape...you're not gonna kick my ass right?

RIP Block Heater....HELLO P4~~~~~
120% nVidia Fanboy+119% Money Fanboy
GeForce 6800 Ultra--> The Way we thought FX 5800Ultra is meant to be played
THGC's resident Asian and nVboy :D 
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
November 16, 2004 11:58:40 PM

LOL your so funny. I am just dieing here.
November 17, 2004 12:02:41 AM

Grape! he's Asian too!

can't spell :D 

RIP Block Heater....HELLO P4~~~~~
120% nVidia Fanboy+119% Money Fanboy
GeForce 6800 Ultra--> The Way we thought FX 5800Ultra is meant to be played
THGC's resident Asian and nVboy :D 
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
November 17, 2004 12:09:22 AM

LOL I am asian, and a Programmer expect to see some dodgy programs by microsoft heading your way.

Microsoft Headquarters Reading.
November 17, 2004 1:59:06 AM

Does anyone know where those slides originated? The INQ article doesnt specify.

"Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my drive?"
P4 3.0C HT, Intel D865GBF, 1GB Crucial PC3200 DDR, 2x WD 36GB Raptor 10kRPM, BBA Radeon 9800PRO, SB Audigy, Hauppage WinTV
a b U Graphics card
November 17, 2004 3:52:10 AM

Canada :tongue:

a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
November 17, 2004 8:10:57 AM

In the words of the Friendly Giant from CBC TV, "Look UP, Look Waaaayy Up!" :tongue:

a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
November 17, 2004 8:15:45 AM

Yes Graduate (double major), and working on Master's in Economics.

Of course work pays better and lets me buy my toys, and pays for skiing.

Also, I disavow any knowledge of knowledge. :eek: 

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
November 17, 2004 8:42:50 AM

Nice the intelgence shows in your Ans. I am still studying too, I am doing the joint scheme with MSIAA.
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
November 17, 2004 12:47:33 PM

Double Entendre anyone? :evil: 

I was wondering where you were man, and if you got HL2 yet, but I see by another post you are doing the free trial thing first. :lol: 

November 17, 2004 4:31:31 PM

We agree you have no knowledge. Since you disavow you have any.
a b U Graphics card
November 17, 2004 4:42:20 PM

[H] shows a close story between BFG OC's and the X800 series. Anand has the plain X800XT(non pe) easily beating the 6800U, from just a few % at times up to 22% when stressed. It looks SO FAR, like ATI is in the lead. But to dominate like NV does in D3, not only does XT>Ultra need to be true, but I feel the X800 Pro would have to beat out the 6800GT also. But i guess if you include the PE, then ATI has #1&2, NV #3&4, and ATI #5, at least according to Anand's initial run at it. I'm happy to see their timedemo's available for DL so I can see what my rig does.

Nice to see the 9800P/9700P included in Anand's review.

November 17, 2004 6:10:49 PM

Quote:
These are benchmarks done by ATI If I was a ATI PR guy

yea, totally.. i didnt even bother to read it, its gauranteed to be biased

-------
<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>
Brand name whores are stupid!
November 17, 2004 6:50:06 PM

Gotta love those powerpoint panels...

Signature (up to 200 characters). You may use <font color=blue><b>Markup</b></font color=blue> in your signature
a b U Graphics card
November 17, 2004 8:45:23 PM

Wrong. [H] benchmarks seem to indicate that, but look at others. Rule out ATI's and Driver Heaven even and you still have Anand's and now <A HREF="http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/half-life_2_perform..." target="_new">FiringSquad</A> that show the X800 series clearly in the lead.

a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
November 17, 2004 10:22:38 PM

Quote:
ATi only pulls ahead at the highest settings by a small margin,

Acutally if you look at the 'highest settings' like Paul mentions, there seems to be a MASSIVE difference, especially since most reviewers say that ATI's 6XAA is better than nV's 4+4AA(not true 8x).

What most reviewers were showing an [H] is pretty adamant about, is that at the lower settings the game is greatly CPU limited.

So it comes down to what [H] usually focuses on in their reviews. What's mmore important, winning a ton of low res showdowns, or getting the best maximum gettings for gameplay. If the ATIs can do far bettter at 6xAA/16XAF than the nV cards do at their inferior 6x or 8x equivalent, with the ATI card pulling in easily playable frames, doesn't that really show the potential more than the GF series pulling off a few more frames above 100fps at 1024x768 with low settings?

With D3 no one focused on the lower reolutions because 'playable' framerates were capped at 60fps. Everyone naturally focused on where their cards started stuggling, and in this case those points are quite distinct.

a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
November 17, 2004 10:27:57 PM

As long as we got that clear.

<A HREF="http://www.barbneal.com/wav/uncat/hogan01.wav" target="_new">I know nothing Nuh-thing!</A> :lol: 

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
November 17, 2004 11:00:23 PM

Even I have to admit this cant be all driver issues ATI is really kicking Nvidias ass, but ATI drivers are optimised with out the option of turning optimisation off.

But even then nvidia is really getting creamed.
November 17, 2004 11:14:22 PM

By the X800PE? Gotta buy one first.

Xeon

<font color=red>Post created with being a dickhead in mind.</font color=red>
<font color=white>For all emotional and slanderous statements contact THG for all law suits.</font color=white>
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
November 18, 2004 5:12:48 AM

Quote:
but ATI drivers are optimised with out the option of turning optimisation off.

And so are nVidia's drivers, so waht's the difference?

Both ATI and nVidia have added the option to turn of SOME optimizations and nVidia defaulted one of their two main AF optimizations in their drivers, now leaving ATI and nV with one unremoveable major optimization each. However that has little to do with anything if these optimizations are benificial and not noticeable, unlike the FX floptimizations.

So neither is clean, but even more importantly, it has nothing to do with the issue at hand because it's not by floptimizations that these differences appear.

November 18, 2004 5:15:08 AM

Terry (Catalyst Maker) posted at [H] that what was the reason behind his demos showing a upto 50% better perf than NV, than the [H] ones that showed only upto 25%.

<b><i>"Sure. I can give it a shot.

The main reason why there are such differences between the Hard benchmarks and DH benchmarks is because of the timedemos used.

In summary [H] created timedemos that were indicative of average gameplay. In other words [H] used a full level as a timedemo. Showing the average framerate of a full level will cause all cards in the same category to have near identical performance. There will be areas in that level that are not graphically comlex at all, and when taking an average will benefit the inferior product.

Example, below are 2 hypothetical products that are benchmarked for 10 seconds. Each sample point is the FPS at the second.

90,90,90,90,90,90,90,90,90,90 = average is 90 FPS
60,60,90,90,90,90,90,90,90,90 = average is 84 FPS

Take a large enough sample (i.e. extend the 90's for another 50 seconds) you will see that the FPS will trend to the same number.

The other alternative to the above method is to benchmark only complex graphic situations. This in the above example would be a 2 second time demo.

90,90 = average of 90 FPS
60,60 = average of 60 FPS

The difference between the two hypothetical products is much more evident in this situation.

We have four timedemos created that are graphically complex. They were used by DH and 2 of them were even used by TheTechLounge.com.

I am prepared to put these demos on an FTP site for anyone who wants them. Interested?
These demos will show complex situations and will show that one hypothetical product is at times 90% faster than the second hypothetical product.

One such case will be using the flashlight. Record a timedemo of your own if you like using the flashlight alot. You will see what I am talking about.

And that concludes my lesson for the day. Cheers guys."
</b></i>

AGAIN - where the fu*ck are Nvidia guys ? Y arent they interacting with the community ?

:tongue: <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/priyajeet/fing.jpg" target="_new"><i><font color=red>Very funny, Scotty.</font color=red><font color=blue> Now beam down my clothes.</font color=blue></i></A> :tongue:
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
November 18, 2004 5:48:28 AM

I personally loved this segment;

Quote:
will show that one hypothetical product is at times 90% faster than the second hypothetical product.

Whatever hypothetical products could he be talking about? Must be a working XGI and competitive S3 product, cause those are only throetical products, not actual ones. :evil: 

Anywhooo, off to bed.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by TheGreatGrapeApe on 11/18/04 00:49 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
November 18, 2004 8:18:29 AM

Priyajeet, nVidia employees arent aloud to participate in tech forums, and speak on company matters. There are two nVidia employee's who post at Beyond3d, but they stick to company policy of course, and people leave them alone.

There is an ex-nVidia employee named ricercar who posts at nvnews.net, and he (at one time) explained nVidia's strict procedure with everyone, in a post he made around the time of NV30's debut.

You can keep screaming about nVidia's lack of community participation, but it wont change things one bit.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=2216718" target="_new"><b>3DMark03</b></A>
<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=127163" target="_new"><b>3DMark05</b></A>
November 18, 2004 6:47:12 PM

oh i m not complaing abt them, i dont care abt them, i use ati and like the fact that those guys have better relations with the community.

:tongue: <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/priyajeet/fing.jpg" target="_new"><i><font color=red>Very funny, Scotty.</font color=red><font color=blue> Now beam down my clothes.</font color=blue></i></A> :tongue:
November 18, 2004 10:08:41 PM

Where the heck did you find that?
November 19, 2004 3:13:27 AM

pira do yo hve to us thse mde up abrvtns on al yor wds?

Asus p4c800 Deluxe,1 Gig Mushkin PC3200 Dual Channel Level II V2,Pentium 4 3.0 512k 800fsb HT, Thermaltake Xaser III, Thermaltake Spark 7+, Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum Pro, eVGA GeForce 6800 GT
November 19, 2004 3:56:59 AM

??? huh ???

November 19, 2004 4:33:52 AM

Quote:
pira do yo hve to us thse mde up abrvtns on al yor wds?

I find it extremely aggravating as well. It almost makes it hard to take him serious most of the time.

Sorry Priyajeet, I cant reply to anymore of your posts, on account of <i>I find the way you type to be painful to read</i>:) 

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=2216718" target="_new"><b>3DMark03</b></A>
<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=127163" target="_new"><b>3DMark05</b></A>
November 19, 2004 6:45:07 AM

ok, now u have got me bamboozled. which words didnt u understand ? In this entire thread:

u = you
y = why
abt = about
m = am

except for abt, all the rest have similar or same pronunciation as the alphabets.

thats it. whats hard about them ? am i missing something ?
others i might use

ur = your
shld = should

:tongue: <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/priyajeet/fing.jpg" target="_new"><i><font color=red>Very funny, Scotty.</font color=red><font color=blue> Now beam down my clothes.</font color=blue></i></A> :tongue: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by priyajeet on 11/19/04 02:52 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
November 19, 2004 9:21:33 AM

so you use a cellphone to make your posts, yes? :smile:

I find the extra amount of thought required to think of the abbreviated version means it's actually quicker for me to type the entire word - my brain thinks 'y','o','u','r' as I type...

maybe if you have only one finger it's faster that way :tongue: . Or maybe your ISP has <i>really</i> strict upload limits? :lol: 

---
But as empty experiences go, it's one of the best" - Woody Allen
November 19, 2004 11:11:10 AM

If your posting from a cell phone I understand. But if your *gettin into a thread* (haha) and your flowin along posts and then all of a sudden you come to one post thats like...

i dnt wnt 2 tpe lke ths bt i hd 2...

It kind of kills the mood ya know ;) 

Asus p4c800 Deluxe,1 Gig Mushkin PC3200 Dual Channel Level II V2,Pentium 4 3.0 512k 800fsb HT, Thermaltake Xaser III, Thermaltake Spark 7+, Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum Pro, eVGA GeForce 6800 GT
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
November 19, 2004 12:23:14 PM

Let's get a pot together to buy him some consonants for his text messaging! :evil:  :wink: :evil: 

November 19, 2004 2:14:13 PM

I have the pot. Lets do it.
!