License

Can I boot multiple computers from the same removeable hard drive using
windows XP? I would like to use the same hard drive and windows copy in
multiple computers.
5 answers Last reply
More about license

    Brian wrote:
    > Can I boot multiple computers from the same removeable hard drive using
    > windows XP? I would like to use the same hard drive and windows copy in
    > multiple computers.

    Are all of the computers identical, hardware-wise? If not, your scheme
    is very probably technically impossible, setting aside any licensing issues.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Unless you have the driver base built up for the "multi machine" setup, this
    would be difficult at best simply because you'd have to do in-place upgrades
    all the time.

    Besides that I think windows licensing states one computer at one time, I
    also believe it states that licenses are not transferable but I am not sure
    if that applies to user transfers or computer transfers.

    *shrug*
    Nathan

    "Brian" <Brian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Can I boot multiple computers from the same removeable hard drive using
    > windows XP? I would like to use the same hard drive and windows copy in
    > multiple computers.

    "Brian" <Brian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Can I boot multiple computers from the same removeable hard drive using
    > windows XP? I would like to use the same hard drive and windows copy in
    > multiple computers.

    No.

    Please read the EULA that accompanies Windows XP.
    You can view this by Start ... Run ... winver and click the link.

    You agreed to be bound by this License Agreement when you installed the
    product.
    You may receive conflicting advice from others who may respond to your post
    (it is unlikely that any of them are lawyers with appropriate knowledge of
    software licensing etc).
    If you are unsure about the legal implications of the licensing of this
    product you agreed to, then you should seek professional advice.

    The appropriate section from a Windows XP Professional EULA is

    1. GRANT OF LICENSE. Microsoft grants you the following rights
    provided that you comply with all terms and conditions of
    this EULA:

    * Installation and use. You may install, use, access,
    display and run one copy of the Product on a single
    computer, such as a workstation, terminal or other device
    ("Workstation Computer")

    So your attempt to use the software on multiple computers is in breach of
    this license irrespective of you using only one harddrive and moving it
    around. (if you just move the drive to dissimilar hardware you may have to
    do a repair install on each machine each time you try and boot fro the disk
    after it has been in another PC.)

    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    "Brian" <Brian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Can I boot multiple computers from the same removeable hard drive using
    > windows XP? I would like to use the same hard drive and windows copy in
    > multiple computers.

    Jim,

    If have some concerns about our EULA you should seek professional advice
    rather then depend on the personal opinions and untrained interpretations of
    legal finding of some other person.
    If you press "I agree" then you do exactly that.
    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    "Brian" <Brian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Can I boot multiple computers from the same removeable hard drive using
    >windows XP? I would like to use the same hard drive and windows copy in
    >multiple computers.

    A retail license may be freely transferred from computer to computer
    to computer to computer as the license owner sees fit, provided only
    that the license is ever installed on a single computer at any one
    point in time.

    An OEM license is permanently locked to the first computer it is
    installed on and cannot be legitimately transferred to another
    computer under any circumstances, even if the first computer is
    destroyed, stolen, lost or scrapped.

    So if you have a retail license for Windows XP then you can do as you
    wish. However doing so will almost certainly prove to be more trouble
    than it is worth.

    Each time you move the hard drive to a different computer you will
    have to do a Repair Install of Windows XP
    (http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm) and then you will
    almost certainly have to activate Windows manually by telephone. Note
    that if you are certain that you will be moving the hard drive to yet
    another computer within 30 days then you can safely ignore the
    activation reminders. But there is no way to avoid the need for a
    Repair Install unless the various computers are all identical in terms
    of motherboard make and model, video card make and model, amount of
    RAM, and so forth.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Computers Hard Drives License Windows XP