Jim

I have a file I can't delete. When I try to delete it I get a message saying
the file is being used by another application, even when no other
applications are in use. I cannot access the properties of the file either.
--
Thank you

Did you try starting it up in safemode and then deleting it? I recommend
trying that if you haven't. Safemode only starts up the very basic programs
of windows, and often will let you delete files you wouldn't normally be able
to.

"Jim" wrote:

> I have a file I can't delete. When I try to delete it I get a message saying
> the file is being used by another application, even when no other
> applications are in use. I cannot access the properties of the file either.
> --
> Thank you

You could try to delete it in Safe Mode (pressing F8 a few times while
booting).

Or, after determining the full path (with a Windows Search) go to Start >
Run and type
cmd
click OK
navigate to the folder and try deleting with
del <filename>

--
Michael

"Jim" <Jim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a file I can't delete. When I try to delete it I get a message
>saying
> the file is being used by another application, even when no other
> applications are in use. I cannot access the properties of the file
> either.
> --
> Thank you

"Jim" <Jim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a file I can't delete. When I try to delete it I get a message
>saying
> the file is being used by another application, even when no other
> applications are in use. I cannot access the properties of the file
> either.
> --
> Thank you

MoveOnBoot allows you to Move, Copy or Delete files before Windows can lock
or alter the files. The changes are made to your hard drive before Windows
starts (it requires a restart of your system after you give MoveOnBoot its
instructions). There are no messy boot or DOS commands, just a simple 3-step
process. For more information about how this tool can help you, see the
Can't delete files tutorial.

http://www.softwarepatch.com/software/moveonboot.html

Jim

Moveonboot removed the file, it was simple and easy to use thanks.
--
Thank you

"Nog" wrote:

> "Jim" <Jim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a file I can't delete. When I try to delete it I get a message
> >saying
> > the file is being used by another application, even when no other
> > applications are in use. I cannot access the properties of the file
> > either.
> > --
> > Thank you
>
> MoveOnBoot allows you to Move, Copy or Delete files before Windows can lock
> or alter the files. The changes are made to your hard drive before Windows
> starts (it requires a restart of your system after you give MoveOnBoot its
> instructions). There are no messy boot or DOS commands, just a simple 3-step
> process. For more information about how this tool can help you, see the
> Can't delete files tutorial.
>
> http://www.softwarepatch.com/software/moveonboot.html

Open Task Manager end task "explorer.exe", attempt to delete the file now.
Or delete the file in Safe Mode. If this does not help, Use process explorer
(www.sysinternals.com) to see which process has locked that file. For
additional help on deleting stubborn files and folders, see this page for
several different approaches:

http://aumha.org/a/stubborn.php

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP