My cdrom/dvd bay device won't recognize, show, or run any ..

May 24, 2005 5:11:01 PM

I have an IBM R32 thinkpad with XP on it, and about 5 days ago, something
went wierd with my cd-rom bay device. I can insert a cd (any kind of cd) and
my computer wont even regonize it. It doesn't even show up in my hard drive
at all (normally it appears in my hard drive as "D: cd name". This is totally
non-existant, I cant even get it to recognize that there is a D drive). I
don't think the problem is directly with the bay device because i have
switched it with another R32 thinkpad that deffinately had a working cd bay,
and it still will not show up on mine. I think the problem might be to do
with my actual system. Another strange part of this is that I can reboot the
computer and it will actually recognize the cd for a bit and allow me to use
it. But it seems that after an amount of time (the time which doesn't seem to
have a pattern and changes), it dissapears again. Although the last time I
tried to reboot to fix the cd problem, it didn't work. One last bit of info
is that when I insert the cd, it doesn't have that normal whirring noise that
usually accompanies it while it's reading the disk, so it seems like
something isn't prompting it to read the disk, until the reboot. Also, these
problems seemed to start around the time that I did a defrag, system cleanup,
and other processes with Norton System Works. Perhaps something happened with
that. I need to use my cd-rom bay for some other important things that need
to get done, so any help ASAP would be appeciated.
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 5:35:40 PM

if it doesn't work in another computer,
sounds like the drive is broken,
have you tried another drive in your computer?
Alasdair

--
please note email address requires editing

www.digitalmystic.co.uk

"Leena1002" <Leena1002@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have an IBM R32 thinkpad with XP on it, and about 5 days ago, something
> went wierd with my cd-rom bay device. I can insert a cd (any kind of cd)
> and
> my computer wont even regonize it. It doesn't even show up in my hard
> drive
> at all (normally it appears in my hard drive as "D: cd name". This is
> totally
> non-existant, I cant even get it to recognize that there is a D drive). I
> don't think the problem is directly with the bay device because i have
> switched it with another R32 thinkpad that deffinately had a working cd
> bay,
> and it still will not show up on mine. I think the problem might be to do
> with my actual system. Another strange part of this is that I can reboot
> the
> computer and it will actually recognize the cd for a bit and allow me to
> use
> it. But it seems that after an amount of time (the time which doesn't seem
> have a pattern and changes), it dissapears again. Although the last time I
> tried to reboot to fix the cd problem, it didn't work. One last bit of
> info
> is that when I insert the cd, it doesn't have that normal whirring noise
> that
> usually accompanies it while it's reading the disk, so it seems like
> something isn't prompting it to read the disk, until the reboot. Also,
> these
> problems seemed to start around the time that I did a defrag, system
> cleanup,
> and other processes with Norton System Works. Perhaps something happened
> with
> that. I need to use my cd-rom bay for some other important things that
> need
> to get done, so any help ASAP would be appeciated.
May 25, 2005 9:20:56 PM

Here's a couple of links that may help..
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_cd_dvd_fix.h...

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyi...

news:D 71res$ces$1@news7.svr.pol.co.uk...

!