Sign in with
Your question

Am I The Only One Not Playing HL?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 16, 2004 9:03:37 PM

I'm not playing it. Anyone else here abstaining? I don't care if you're playing it. I don't want to hear about it. I want to hear about other things that you did today. I had two classes; I got a "B" on my quiz. I had some Chinese food. I'm still getting over this cold, and I think I have some sort of pinched nerve in my neck (3 days now) which is extremely painful.

<A HREF="http://atomfilms.shockwave.com/landing/landingIndex.jsp..." target="_new">DumbLand</A>

More about : playing

a b U Graphics card
November 16, 2004 9:37:10 PM

I'm not abstaining, I just couldn't get it yesterday after work (even though couldn't activate it til today if I wanted to), so I have had to WAIT for it for today, but I might even wait 'til later because tonight is The Amazing Race 6!

So you want to hear about other things I did today;

Ok, woke up, gave the customary adjust&scratch, walked to the bathroom and baptized the porcelain. Then put on kettle for RedRiver cereal, then step into shower. Now get dressed while watching morning call on CNBC. Off to the Insurance company to re-new insurance on winter/ski car. Then return car home, go to Metro stop, buy Globe and Mail, take mass-transit LRT to work downtown. Get off LRT, walk to Second Cup, get IcedWhiteMocha, arrive at work take elevator while watching LCD with silly company website info on it, arrive at desk, secure manacles, start work; design 2 FLs in Toronto, Initiate 3 ISDN moves, Verify 12 IBLs, double-check work from 3 months ago because someone forgot to sign off the work, got to Lunch get ham & turkey & swiss on Jalapeno Foccacio bread with an Orangina contemplate not going back to work calling in sick with food poisoning or something, decide, I could save that for a ski day, go back to work, toss the 2 FLs because of wrong site information, apply to other telco for ground work cabling and facilities, check work of another co-worker fix minor issue, work on a few DS1s and IBLs with 50 DIDs, go to pointless meeting about peer evaluations, get back finish co-workers work because he's decided to go home early, wait for callback on DS1s, call billing about the F'up with provisioning, and that's where we are now; replying to the forum whilke scratching and adjusting. :evil: 

Now wasn't that exciting! :tongue:

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil: 
November 16, 2004 9:47:56 PM

You have to activate the game online even if you bought the cd? I hate that, I shouldn't have to verify anything if I bought the copy.

-----------------------
oh, its a nice day. TO EAT CHILDREN!!!
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
November 16, 2004 10:33:08 PM

I don't like it, but I understand it.

Hey I can tell you eight ways from sunday how to copy certain copyrighted/protected material, so really it's not surprising.

However I do buy what I promote, I simply lobby for the doom of those who try to $crew me in the economic sense, only joy to those with physical pursuits.

Valve hasn't screwed me (yet), so we'll just see, I am interested to see how this will affect my installing it on the desktop followed by a laptop install (will it let me do both?).

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil: 
November 16, 2004 11:02:59 PM

Its the principal of it all.

If you treat the customers like enemys then that is exactly what they will become. I disagree with any company that uses internet verification. A CD-key is one thing, but having to actually verify it online and risk the chance of only being able to install it once is going over the limit. It is your software so therefor your entitled to do what you want with it. Sure there will be infringement of the law, but that will happen one way or another.

I remember one time I had to get a crack for office xp because it said I couldn't run it because it was already activated online in another computer. It was the original computer that it was installed on but it had to be reinstalled. I'm just an ordinary consumer and I don't want to have to resort to that.

-----------------------
oh, its a nice day. TO EAT CHILDREN!!!
a b U Graphics card
November 16, 2004 11:25:07 PM

Quote:
I'm just an ordinary consumer and I don't want to have to resort to that.

I agree. I think in this case it's Vivendi Universal, not Valve who thinks of us as all being Pirates with deep pockets who shouldn't be trusted/respected. I think Valve's got alot more respect for their customers, because it's THEIR franchise, they will own the right to any HL3/4/5, not Vivendi, who just wants the money for this one title, and all they can get (doubt Valve will use Vivendi next time around, so they have nothing to lose), so $crew you, gimme money! seems to be their attitude.

I agree about M$ and the stupid changing of hardware thing causing re-activation windows (yes I swap enough thigs in and out often enough) really ticks me off to the same point. And paying for something that would be recalled as a vehicle if it had so many faults, just annoys me even more.

So be it. I hear ya', it's frustrating. I think with those who got it early, well truely they weren't supposed to be able to, so get in touch with that store and bitch at them, but for the rest of us mortals, we're never going to get the breaks in this industry, we're here to support them, not vice-versa.

Of course that's just my two frames' worth.

Ok done work in 5 mins, gotta go! Ciaola! Be picking up the game in about 1-2hours (gotta go out for dinner with the GF first [dang! :wink: ]), but hopefully have things up and running by the time I watch Amazing Race, if not, I'll be ranting here and there and everywhere too. :lol: 

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
November 16, 2004 11:44:37 PM

I have not brought HL2 as well, I think it just costs to much for what it is.
Plus I am still playing GTA SA which is a good game, but is poor and really wasted on the PS2, Plus there is hours if not days and days of constant gameplay with this new release.
November 16, 2004 11:46:18 PM

I'm not playing but not by choice.By looking at planethalflife forums im not the only one looks like problems with the online install are widespread.

<A HREF="http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=685743290" target="_new">40k in aquamark 3
</A>P4b2.4@2.8||1024mb DDR@392mhz||9800pro@420/740||Viewsonic UltraBrite 19"||Panisonic DVD-RW<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Pukepile on 11/16/04 08:57 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
November 16, 2004 11:52:23 PM

Don't have it. NOT playing.
November 16, 2004 11:57:44 PM

I'm not playing, next gen games are for GEEKS AND LOSERS!

*goes and play farcry*

RIP Block Heater....HELLO P4~~~~~
120% nVidia Fanboy+119% Money Fanboy
GeForce 6800 Ultra--> The Way we thought FX 5800Ultra is meant to be played
THGC's resident Asian and nVboy :D 
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
November 17, 2004 12:00:11 AM

See you on far cry!
November 17, 2004 12:15:15 AM

Jalapeno Foccacio yum. :smile: Grabs Wasabi rice cake. Clears thoart a few times. No more Jalapeno suffed olives left. :frown: Those were good. Time for sum more Sushi.
November 17, 2004 12:34:07 AM

ill eat my mac n cheese with lousiana hot sauce.

"Never underestimate the predictability of Stupidity."
<A HREF="http://www.cameronwilliamson.com" target="_new">-={Neurotic Narcissist.}=-</A>
<font color=green>{FLM}</font color=green>
November 17, 2004 12:43:47 AM

no, lousiana hot sauce, its a brand more flavor than tabasco.

TS is good but the flavor of LHS is betta

<A HREF="http://www.cameronwilliamson.com" target="_new">-={Neurotic Narcissist.}=-</A>
a b U Graphics card
November 17, 2004 12:44:01 AM

I don't play shooting games. I think the last shooting game I actually liked a little was Astroids.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
November 17, 2004 12:44:44 AM

old tymer

November 17, 2004 2:52:23 AM

Unfortunately I won't buy it until next month at employee rebate day. :frown: :cool:

Besides, I can't play, I got no time until I start vacation on December 10th.

Now for my day, I know yall are just aching to hear about it: :tongue:

Woke up, wanted to sleep back.
At the college, we started MS Access class, the teacher with his constant sarcasm about the software and MS. When the class ended, I went to the stairs, and found a bud in the program who, ironically, had in his hands HL2 in an EB Games bag! Glory be!
At home I spent 3 hours or so doing my project and eating. Went back to college for sports class. Playing basketball. Poor unfortunate classmate, third time this term in sports class, his arm dislocates. OUCH!
Class ended when he had the incident, roughly a half hour before the end.
Went home, did homework, slept a bit, then worked on another project. Ate pizza. And thus is my day. The rest is just me on the comp writing crap to you guys. I doubt you wanna hear what was happening in the shower anyways. :tongue:
<pre>Except PF :evil:  </pre><p>--
<font color=blue>Ede</font color=blue><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Eden on 11/16/04 11:54 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
a b U Graphics card
November 17, 2004 3:50:06 AM

It's alot of fun. Activation was slow and frustrating as their servers are crammed.

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 1GB Corsair XMS 4000 Pro Series, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt
November 17, 2004 5:18:13 AM

Things I did today: SLEEP.

I am still sleepy. The end.

:tongue: <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/priyajeet/fing.jpg" target="_new"><i><font color=red>Very funny, Scotty.</font color=red><font color=blue> Now beam down my clothes.</font color=blue></i></A> :tongue:
November 17, 2004 5:21:41 AM

ok, i have a Q for all:

gotta buy a wine as a gift for thanksgiving. Considering I am a student (not enough $$$) what wud u recommend ?

Online people say Pinot Noir is a good taste for thanksgiving. Any particular barnds for that ?
I was thinking on
<A HREF="http://www.thewinebuyer.com/cgi-bin/foxweb.exe/winebuye..." target="_new">http://www.thewinebuyer.com/cgi-bin/foxweb.exe/winebuye...;/A>

I am not much of a wine guy, so need help.

:tongue: <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/priyajeet/fing.jpg" target="_new"><i><font color=red>Very funny, Scotty.</font color=red><font color=blue> Now beam down my clothes.</font color=blue></i></A> :tongue:
a b U Graphics card
November 17, 2004 7:53:58 AM

Favourite well known wine with a GREAT name and GREAT Taste.

<A HREF="http://www.fatbastardwine.com/index2.htm" target="_new">Fat Bastard</A>!

There is a white (Chardonnay) as well as two reds (Merlot and Shiraz).

a b U Graphics card
November 17, 2004 7:58:40 AM

Well I played for a while, got to the canal point when the dude is hiding out and then we get attacked by the spinning patrol scanners and he thanks me and gives me stuff. Just wanted to make sure it works.

<A HREF="http://img132.exs.cx/img132/6785/HL2box.jpg" target="_new">Limited Edition Box</A> not very impressive. The shirt is XL, but it's and AMERICAN XL which of course if smaller than ours (puny Americans :tongue: ). Not much for the price, but the single DVD was the main thing I wanted.

Sofar so good.

a b U Graphics card
November 17, 2004 11:48:38 AM

Well, it's more impressive than the regular version. 5 CD's in paper sleeves, and two index sized cards, one which has controls and installation instructions, one that has a $20 ATI rebate form. It was quite lame considering the $55 I spent on it. I had every intension of buying the special DVD edition too as to not have the 5 cd's to install. But with both in hand decided $25 extra was just too much to justify. In the end, I still would have had the endless Steam fiasco to deal with before being able to play it, so installing from 5 discs wasn't all that bad I guess. :frown:

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 1GB Corsair XMS 4000 Pro Series, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt
a b U Graphics card
November 17, 2004 12:36:27 PM

SweEet! :cool:

It's always nice to get the chance to test drive a product before commiting to one of the most labourious installs I've ever had to go through! :frown:

Also think Valve are a bunch of dorks for the lame stuff that came with the collector's edition (only way to get it on DVD).

November 17, 2004 2:14:12 PM

puny americans !!!
Look at gabe :tongue:

BTW thanks for the wine tip. Too bad, no distributer close by :frown:

:tongue: <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/priyajeet/fing.jpg" target="_new"><i><font color=red>Very funny, Scotty.</font color=red><font color=blue> Now beam down my clothes.</font color=blue></i></A> :tongue: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by priyajeet on 11/17/04 10:15 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
November 17, 2004 2:54:44 PM

Any respectable liquor store should have someone working who knows their wine. It's good if you know what you are going to be eating, because then they can point you to something that will be work out really nicely. You shouldn't have to pay more than $15 USD for a perfectly decent bottle. Make sure you open the bottle at least an hour before you drink to let the wine "breathe". And if you open it, finish it! Don't cork it and put it in the cabinet. Give the rest to a friend, or your dog, or something.

<A HREF="http://atomfilms.shockwave.com/landing/landingIndex.jsp..." target="_new">DumbLand</A>
November 17, 2004 2:58:02 PM

its for thanksgiving dinner. and is a gift for someone. whether they open it there - i dunno.
yeah, i ll go searching this weekend in shops. will save online shipping.

November 17, 2004 4:36:22 PM

Where do you live in FLA?
a b U Graphics card
November 17, 2004 4:47:30 PM

Quote:
puny Americans

ROFL!!

Big Beer-Bellied Canadians :tongue:

November 18, 2004 2:22:25 AM

You forgot to add "igloo-living beaver wearing bastards"!

--
<font color=blue>Ede</font color=blue>
November 18, 2004 3:00:14 AM

I can't get it, and even if I could I am one of those college students WHO CAN NOT activate through steam because of router configs, etc.
November 18, 2004 2:54:32 PM

Ain't buying and ain't playing. I've got enough problems with "FarCry" right now to worry bout that game. I'm interested in getting HL 1 though.

Da Worfster

If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.
November 18, 2004 4:37:54 PM

What problems are you having with far cry?
November 18, 2004 4:57:28 PM

Yeah, I gave up on Far Cry because of that level "The Regulator". That part where you blow up the computer and then go into that big area where the commandos bungee out of the helicopter? I tried it about fifty or sixty times and simply gave up. It's absolutely <i>impossible</i>. And that's on normal difficulty.

I still haven't gotten HL2 yet. Those slackers at EB never called about my pre-order, even though I reserved it summer '03. I suppose I could buy it this weekend, but it doesn't matter because my computer won't be on the internet for at least a two more weeks.

November 18, 2004 5:41:44 PM

sadly the reason im not playing it is due to complications from my power supply. amazingly it managed to short out my video card, corrupt windows xp install and files, randomly shut off, unable to supply power to my fans and components, and now after all that fails to turn on for more than a millisecond... seriously i can not even tell anylonger when it turns on, it used to be i could see my microphone light turn on but now that doesnt even turn on. so by the time i get my 9600pro back from ati and get my rma of my case [have to send it back to newegg still] it will be about... december 10th or so and i will be crying by my bed because i wont be able to play hl2 until then [ive played 5 minutes in total.. then my computer turned off... lovely]

-lawler
anyone living in RI have an extra psu i can borrow for like 2 weeks+++????? lol

edit: case and psu were bundle... so i have to send both back... hoping to exchange it for a lianli pc-65 and a fortron 530w psu or something good!

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ | MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum | 1gb Kingston HyperX PC4000 [2x512] | ATI 9600 Pro [upgrade soon] | Sound Blaster Audigy LS | Samsung 120gb hd<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by alawlz187 on 11/18/04 03:17 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
November 18, 2004 5:45:06 PM

the worst part about it is that its addicting, once i played it i cant stop wanting to play more... LET ME PLAY! uhhh i was hoping to beat it soon but looks like that will be postponed along with me beating Rome: Total War [awesome game] for all 3 Roman Factions by december [3/4 done with second campaign] i want to play :( 

-lawler

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ | MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum | 1gb Kingston HyperX PC4000 [2x512] | ATI 9600 Pro [upgrade soon] | Sound Blaster Audigy LS | Samsung 120gb hd
November 20, 2004 4:21:12 AM

Quote:
it will be about... december 10th or so and i will be crying by my bed because i wont be able to play hl2 until then

Join the club buddy, not until December 11th for me so far.

--
November 20, 2004 4:28:13 AM

"gotta buy a wine as a gift for thanksgiving. Considering I am a student (not enough $$$) what wud u recommend ?"

To contrast with the soft mellow tastes of the thanksgiving meal a Pinot Grigio would have a nice counter point to it, Kris makes a decent fairly cheap bottle. Ecco Domani is another cheap fairly decent Pinot Grigio also.

I however am a BIG fan of Chardonnays, I can highly recommend Toasted Heads chardonnay, very great tasting wine, smooth cool taste with a touch of the barrel and the age old tradition behind its making. If you want to spend a little more Chalk Hills makes some wonderfully good stuff. Im use to buying these wines at resteraunts so im not sure what they cost in the real world but its usually 60-80% cheaper.

Asus p4c800 Deluxe,1 Gig Mushkin PC3200 Dual Channel Level II V2,Pentium 4 3.0 512k 800fsb HT, Thermaltake Xaser III, Thermaltake Spark 7+, Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum Pro, eVGA GeForce 6800 GT
November 20, 2004 5:11:21 AM

thanks, noted down the names. now it all depends if i can find it in retail.

edit: yup Chardonnay - the recommended one online too for the whites! thanks.

:tongue: <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/priyajeet/fing.jpg" target="_new"><i><font color=red>Very funny, Scotty.</font color=red><font color=blue> Now beam down my clothes.</font color=blue></i></A> :tongue: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by priyajeet on 11/20/04 01:13 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
November 20, 2004 7:35:10 AM

The "i am not playing hl2 thread" turn into wine suggestion. Pure THG.

Signature (up to 200 characters). You may use <font color=blue><b>Markup</b></font color=blue> in your signature<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by coylter on 11/20/04 04:35 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
November 20, 2004 7:42:32 AM

/laughin

Asus p4c800 Deluxe,1 Gig Mushkin PC3200 Dual Channel Level II V2,Pentium 4 3.0 512k 800fsb HT, Thermaltake Xaser III, Thermaltake Spark 7+, Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum Pro, eVGA GeForce 6800 GT
November 20, 2004 7:59:05 AM

lol, hijiking :wink:

November 20, 2004 9:37:23 AM

So anyway, before we were interupted, that Toasted Head Chardonnay I recommended goes great with raw oysters.

November 21, 2004 12:05:18 AM

sorry eden i quit the club... managed to add my memory, hd [with hl2 and stuff on it], sound card, and borrowed gfx card [crappy mx440] into an older but still good system; axp 2600+ and some msi mobo, and it runs the game well enough so i dont lag 99% of the time... albiet on low quality :) ... just beat it today, wont bloat though, hopefully december 11th comes soon enough for you.

-lawler

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ | MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum | 1gb Kingston HyperX PC4000 [2x512] | ATI 9600 Pro [upgrade soon] | Sound Blaster Audigy LS | Samsung 120gb hd
November 21, 2004 6:08:09 AM

It took you ONE day to finish the game?

--
!