Something shutting down the Internet

Ok here is the problem that is driving me nuts.

I am running XP with all updates and service packs. I had a problem at one
stage and repaired it by repair install.
Since then something is shutting down my internet connection (broadband
always on) at random. It seems to be something like a firewall preventing
connection to my modem. I have changed the modem and the cabling just to be
sure it is not them and this was all to no avail.

I had Zone Alarms installed and took it off. I have disabled the Windows
Firewall. I am still running the Norton anti virus softwear that has worm
protection enabled

All and any help would be very welcome.

Hugh

It sounds like a virus or spyware. Do an online scan at Trend Micro and run
a couple spyware scans. I'd also uninstall Norton and use AVG.

Trend Micro House Call
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Grisoft AVG
http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php

Spybot Search & Destroy

SpywareGuard
http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareguard.html

SpywareBlaster

"Hugh Hogan" <hhogan@eircom.net> wrote in message
> Ok here is the problem that is driving me nuts.
>
> I am running XP with all updates and service packs. I had a problem at
> one stage and repaired it by repair install.
> Since then something is shutting down my internet connection (broadband
> always on) at random. It seems to be something like a firewall preventing
> connection to my modem. I have changed the modem and the cabling just to
> be sure it is not them and this was all to no avail.
>
> I had Zone Alarms installed and took it off. I have disabled the Windows
> Firewall. I am still running the Norton anti virus softwear that has worm
> protection enabled
>
> All and any help would be very welcome.
>
> Hugh

"Hugh Hogan" <hhogan@eircom.net> wrote in message
> Ok here is the problem that is driving me nuts.
>
> I am running XP with all updates and service packs. I had a problem at
> one stage and repaired it by repair install.
> Since then something is shutting down my internet connection (broadband
> always on) at random. It seems to be something like a firewall preventing
> connection to my modem. I have changed the modem and the cabling just to
> be sure it is not them and this was all to no avail.
>
> I had Zone Alarms installed and took it off. I have disabled the Windows
> Firewall. I am still running the Norton anti virus softwear that has worm
> protection enabled
>
> All and any help would be very welcome.
>
> Hugh

TRENDING THREADS