can 'see' wep secured network; yet can't connect

Just got a laptop with XPpro with internal wifi card

I am able to 'see' my wep protected wireless network but am unable to
access Web via IE, or Mozilla.

My GF can see the Web fine on the same wireless network fine with her
new Mac G4 IBook.

When running laptop on ethernet connection to dsl modem, I am able to
surf web fine with IE, or Mozilla just fine.

Appreciate some tips what I need to do to assure that my laptop can
communicate with the router correctly to access Web.

I have Netgear router, and I am told the internal wifi card is Orinoco
Gold, though I dont have paperwork, as I bought the toshiba portege
2000 laptop used.

Please cc any posting also to: netcommuner (at) yahoo (dot) com

Tx
Tom
7 answers Last reply
More about secured network connect

    On 8 Apr 2004 08:55:13 -0700, dejausenet@yahoo.com (tom williams)
    wrote:

    >Just got a laptop with XPpro with internal wifi card
    >
    >I am able to 'see' my wep protected wireless network but am unable to
    >access Web via IE, or Mozilla.
    >
    >My GF can see the Web fine on the same wireless network fine with her
    >new Mac G4 IBook.
    >
    >When running laptop on ethernet connection to dsl modem, I am able to
    >surf web fine with IE, or Mozilla just fine.
    >
    >Appreciate some tips what I need to do to assure that my laptop can
    >communicate with the router correctly to access Web.
    >
    >I have Netgear router, and I am told the internal wifi card is Orinoco
    >Gold, though I dont have paperwork, as I bought the toshiba portege
    >2000 laptop used.
    >
    >Please cc any posting also to: netcommuner (at) yahoo (dot) com

    If you are using a software firewall such as Zonealarm, try disabling
    it.

    dejausenet@yahoo.com (tom williams) wrote in

    > I am able to 'see' my wep protected wireless network but am unable to
    > access Web via IE, or Mozilla.

    Did you type in your WEP key?

    --
    Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)

    further to replies to my initial posting:

    i typed in 26 digit/alpha hex key for wep when requested, and
    reconfirmed correctness - yet dots for only about 10 characters show
    up when i go back to check

    i did disable my firewall, and still the problem exists

    tx
    tom

    tom williams wrote:
    > further to replies to my initial posting:
    >
    > i typed in 26 digit/alpha hex key for wep when requested, and
    > reconfirmed correctness - yet dots for only about 10 characters show
    > up when i go back to check
    >
    > i did disable my firewall, and still the problem exists
    >
    > tx
    > tom
    >

    > ejmfufhgds <euenc@cuwl.com> wrote in message
    >> On 8 Apr 2004 08:55:13 -0700, dejausenet@yahoo.com (tom williams)
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Just got a laptop with XPpro with internal wifi card
    >>>
    >>> I am able to 'see' my wep protected wireless network but am unable
    >>> to access Web via IE, or Mozilla.
    >>>
    >>> My GF can see the Web fine on the same wireless network fine with
    >>> her new Mac G4 IBook.
    >>>
    >>> When running laptop on ethernet connection to dsl modem, I am able
    >>> to surf web fine with IE, or Mozilla just fine.
    >>>
    >>> Appreciate some tips what I need to do to assure that my laptop can
    >>> communicate with the router correctly to access Web.
    >>>
    >>> I have Netgear router, and I am told the internal wifi card is
    >>> Orinoco Gold, though I dont have paperwork, as I bought the toshiba
    >>> portege 2000 laptop used.
    >>>
    >>> Please cc any posting also to: netcommuner (at) yahoo (dot) com
    >>>

    >> If you are using a software firewall such as Zonealarm, try disabling
    >> it.

    Only the numeric 0-9 and alpha A-F work for the key, and the alpha
    should be considered case sensitive.

    If only 10 hex digits were displayed, then only 10 digits are being used.
    That's a 5-byte (40-bit, sometimes called 64-bit) key. You were shooting for
    a 128-bit key when you typed in 26 hex digits.

    Your AP and your clients have to be configured for exactly the same key and
    keysize. If you have a choice about keysize, there should be a button to
    select keysize. Be sure you have chosen the same size on AP and all clients.
    If you are creating a list of up to 4 keys on the AP, be absolutely sure
    that you have entered exactly the same list, in exactly the same order, with
    exactly the same keylength, on AP and all clients.

    On 9 Apr 2004 08:20:24 -0700, dejausenet@yahoo.com (tom williams)
    wrote:

    >further to replies to my initial posting:
    >
    >i typed in 26 digit/alpha hex key for wep when requested, and
    >reconfirmed correctness - yet dots for only about 10 characters show
    >up when i go back to check

    That, by itself, may simply be a security feature of the router. I
    have configured a router that did the same thing (don't remember which
    model). By always showing ten dots instead of the actual number of
    characters that were entered as a key it is making it hard to guess
    the password based on the length. A dictionary attack would be much
    easier if you could limit it to word or phrases of x charactor length.

    Seems like a pretty useless security feature. In order to get the
    information, the hypothetical hacker would have to have physical access to a
    station connected to the router admin page. He or she would either have to
    be looking over your shoulder when you type the WEP key, or you'd have to be
    dumb enough to leave the screen with the dots on it unattended for some
    period of time. The other possibility is a hacker monitoring an unencrypted
    admin session with a wifi client, but then the hacker already grabbed your
    WEP key itself, so the number of dots displayed is irrelevant.

    Even then, a pure dictionary attack is not feasible. Most successful attacks
    exploit weak IVs and predictable or observed regularities in the data. Since
    there are only a few possible keylengths, if a dictionary attack actually
    yielded results in a reasonable time, you could probably just run an attack
    assuming a 64-bit key, and if that fails, run one assuming a 128-bit key.

    I'd reconfirm that the router and the clients actually are set for the
    keylength you're trying to use.

    "Todrogas" <frinpuc@adgin.com> wrote in message
    > On 9 Apr 2004 08:20:24 -0700, dejausenet@yahoo.com (tom williams)
    > wrote:
    >
    > >further to replies to my initial posting:
    > >
    > >i typed in 26 digit/alpha hex key for wep when requested, and
    > >reconfirmed correctness - yet dots for only about 10 characters show
    > >up when i go back to check
    >
    > That, by itself, may simply be a security feature of the router. I
    > have configured a router that did the same thing (don't remember which
    > model). By always showing ten dots instead of the actual number of
    > characters that were entered as a key it is making it hard to guess
    > the password based on the length. A dictionary attack would be much
    > easier if you could limit it to word or phrases of x charactor length.

Laptops Internet Explorer Wireless Network Wireless Networking