Is my PC too old?

mis3

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2001
My PC is 3-4 years old and is still in good condition: P4-2.2 GHz, Asus P4T-E, Asus V8200 X-Gamer, I GHz RDRAM.

I am looking for a new 19-inch LCD and a new video card with DVI output. Without doing much research, it seems that the ATI APG-X700 is the one to get (or to wait for).

My question is is my PC too old for this video card? If not, what do you suggest? I am not sure the P4T-E can support AGP-8X. Is this important?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
AGP8x isn't so important, but I'm not sure you'll get the performance you're expecting from a card that new with so little CPU power.

The system should be barely good enough for a 9800 Pro, how does the X700 compare?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

cefoskey

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2003
Well are you planning on gaming? Is the DVI the only feature you are looking for? With that system, you may be bottle necking some higer end cards.

I dont think theres any point in waiting for an AGP X700 based card. If you want to game on that system, I would buy a 9800 PRO or even a 9600XT; your system is mediocre so dont go overboard with a new card.

"Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my drive?"
P4 3.0C HT, Intel D865GBF, 1GB Crucial PC3200 DDR, 2x WD 36GB Raptor 10kRPM, BBA Radeon 9800PRO, SB Audigy, Hauppage WinTV

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
Well the X700 is that much better than the 9800pro but the limited system performace may be an issue when upgrading.

<i><font color=red>Only an overclocker can make a computer into a convectional oven.</i></font color=red>

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
AGP8X would be a must if you a high-end 256mb agp card but like the 9800pro128 wont kill you much.

Really I would start looking that the big picture and upgrade the system.

<i><font color=red>Only an overclocker can make a computer into a convectional oven.</i></font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
d00d, he has a gig of RAM that he'd have to dispose of if he built a new system. The system he has is good enough that buying nearly everything to build a new one simply doesn't offer the bang for the buck, at most he'd get a 50% system performance increase for $1000.

If you concentrate simply on gaming, a new card would get him at most a 200% increase, while a new system with card would get him perhaps a 250% increase in performance. The price difference is staggering and heavily favors buying a good midrange card such as the 9800 Pro.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

pauldh

Illustrious
The X700 series cards is PCI-e only. Rumors are there is No AGP X700 expected as the 9800 pro will fill the $200 AGP gap.

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 1GB Corsair XMS 4000 Pro Series, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt

mis3

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2001
Thanks for all your advices.

I got some prices (all in canadian dollar):
ATI Radeon 9600XT/TVD 128 MB DDR $204
ATI Radeon 9800Pro 256 MB DDR $361
ATI Radeon 9800Pro 128 MB DDR $301

What do you think?

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
Yeah I got that brainfreeze. I dont expect then to make an different PCB of the X700 whent eh 9800 is still big and when it waivers off thats when PCIe is big.

Just sucks that all the good new mid-level card are only PCIe. They got HD support.

I do not game much. Mostly web browsing, office application and photo editing.

If you don't game 'much' (solitare...) then a 32mb pci card will be fine. #

$5

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Maybe he made a mistake in remembering how old his system is? Anyway, THAT detail is completely irrelevant (you stupid fu*cking n00b, this forum is to help people, not nitpick at details [unless they're a troll])...what is relevant is finding a relatively cheap AGP card that has a DVI connector (and good quality 2D).

I say 9600Pro which is good enough for a casual game or two every so often, yet still at a good price (and has good quality 2D, of course).

Maxtor disgraces the six letters that make Matrox.

mis3

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2001
I probably bought the P4-2.2 GHz in the end of 2001 or early 2002.
It was at the time the fastest CPU from Intel. I think I paid $1000 CAN for it.

rx7000

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2003
Vapor dont waste time, only worms.

Asus p4c800 Deluxe,1 Gig Mushkin PC3200 Dual Channel Level II V2,Pentium 4 3.0 512k 800fsb HT, Thermaltake Xaser III, Thermaltake Spark 7+, Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum Pro, eVGA GeForce 6800 GT

hxhky

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2004
Thanks for the answer, mis3.

QUOTE:

---------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, THAT detail is completely irrelevant (you stupid fu*cking n00b, this forum is to help people, not nitpick at details [unless they're a troll])...

---------------------------------------------------------

Sorry, I never do dog fight. A mad dog can attack me, but I'll never fight back.

Because I'm not a dog.

CREATIVE GIGAWORKS S500
AUDIGY 2 ZS
P4 3.0C
Corsair XMS 512Mx2 2-3-2-6
MSI 865PE
ASUS 9600XT

RichPLS

Champion
Well, you really should learn how to defend yourself. That is lame not to fight back if being attacked by a mad dog.

<font color=red><pre>\\//__________________________________
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

hxhky

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2004
Maybe you are right. But still I thought I'd fight against people, not mad dogs.

Oh, back to the original topic, I think mis3's system is ok for x700, but for those cpu-intensive games like hl2, cpu may be your bottleneck.

X700 AGP, Q1 or 2 next year, possibly

http://www.hardware-mag.de/news.php?id=36806

No, I dont understand German, I used google to translate it.

CREATIVE GIGAWORKS S500
AUDIGY 2 ZS
P4 3.0C
MSI 865PE
ASUS 9600XT

If you are truely only surfing and not doing ANY gaming then you should go with something with good quality parts bt inexpensive. What part of Canada are you from and then maybe I can give you some tips as to where to get cards like the ATI Radeon 9200SE, which can be had for pretty cheap, especially in Toronto.

There are cards like the ATI Radeon 7000 or nVidia MX400/4000 with DVI connectors, but I'd recommend something with a little better quality for your photo editing.

If you want <b>very</b> casual gaming (like mainly 2D or EA sports titles), a passive ATI Radeon 9600SE might be a good choice too.

For a little more Vapor's right the R9600Pro offers some reasonable gaming, and good overall 2D performance.

I'd recommend a Matrox P650 if you wanted the best 2D quality, but often it costs 2-4 times as much as an R9200SE, which would have similar gaming qualities, and close to similar (slightly less) 2D quality. So you have to decide how important it is for a minor boost in quality, but the best you can get (Other than the higher end Matrox Parhelia). The P650 is still under $300 CDN (same as the cards above, but it doesn't do gaming well, and nowhere near those other cards).

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

Vapor's not a mad dog but you're being a stoOopid prig!

You went to the trouble of linking to the CPU reviews to basically expose the error of his guesstimation, which is irrelevant as Vapor said.
So you go to that kind of effort to try and show-up mis3, who bought it with a $1000 precious antique CAN it seems, but you're not going to defend the stupidity of your actions. Well isn't that special. I guess it's easier to retreat to some kind of hauty high-mindedness a pretend like it's Vapors issue for pointing out your pointless post.

As has been said, very lame indeed.

As for the X700AGP, there are not official plans to do so, and it's not even likely there will ever be an AGP version of this variant (RV410), more likely a version of the RV430 which will also be cheaper to produce en mass (0.11 instead of 0.13) so that helps balance the cost of a bridge chip.

With the R9800PRO/XT and the X800SE filling the performance gap, ATI needs to focus on costs, and making a bridge chipped X700 isn't as necessary for them as for nV, whohave nothing to fill that gap except for the GF6800LE, which is still more expensive to buy and make. But then again that page you linked to said little except for that they don't know if there ever will be an X700AGP, but if there were you'll have to wait at least until next year. The most important thing is that if it's not being seen now on the .net , it won't be in store 'til next year if ever, and I doubt even then.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

hxhky

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2004
1. I'm not interested in discussing who's 'stoOopid prig' or who's 'stupid fu*cking n00b'.

2. What is wrong with pointing out an Obvious error? How is that a trouble? :D

3. What is "irrelevant" and what is "relevant"? People are talking about GAMEPLAY of hl2/d3/etc, and that is considered to be "relevant" to video cards. LOL.. Oh... I see: discussing 'stoOopid prig'/'stupid fu*cking n00b' is RELEVANT.

4. Do you guys want to continue these 'relevant' posts or stop?

5. Plz let me know. Thank you.

heheheh... I found this is quite interesting....yes, indeed
Hey, RichPLS, I'm taking your advice ;-)

CREATIVE GIGAWORKS S500
AUDIGY 2 ZS
P4 3.0C
MSI 865PE
ASUS 9600XT

RichPLS

Champion
*ding ding*

<font color=red><pre>\\//__________________________________
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

Well if that's your idea of 'defending yourself and your actions, it woefully inadequate because really your stements offer nothing to the original poster; so pointing out your inability to provide sound advice is pretty relevant to the discussion and the forum as a whole.

Sofar you net contibution has been about 0. Being pedantic about when exactly Mis3 purchased his/her CPU, and then saying the X700 would be ok except for CPU intensive <i>games</i> even after mis3 explaining they don't game much.

Vapor's comments about your statement(s) so far would be far more helpful to Mis3, even if only to tell them to ignore your posts.

Sorry, I didn't get around to numbering my posts like you, I hope that doesn't confuse you. M-kay? Thanx!

And I guess there's nothing to 'continue' because you never ever got started.