distress.

TIA for any help.

Peter

Also posted at alt.comp.bios

One beep tells you all is ok and is ready to start.

"Peter" wrote:

> Unpredictable and nasty happenings forced me to change my
> motherboard. The new motherboard has an AMI BIOS which, without any
> system changes being made, sometimes does a short bleep and sometimes
> a long one during startup.
>
> Looking on the net I have found a number lists of AMI BIOS bleep codes
> but none mentions a long single bleep. Please can someone tell me
> what it means? (I have removed and reseated the two 256Mb DIMMs with
> no effect).
>
> The OS is XP Pro, re-installed and activated without query following
> the fitting of the new M\Board, has not shown any symptoms of
> distress.
>
> TIA for any help.
>
> Peter
>
> Also posted at alt.comp.bios

Andrew

That would be a short bleep..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

> One beep tells you all is ok and is ready to start.
>
> "Peter" wrote:
>
>> Unpredictable and nasty happenings forced me to change my
>> motherboard. The new motherboard has an AMI BIOS which, without any
>> system changes being made, sometimes does a short bleep and sometimes
>> a long one during startup.
>>
>> Looking on the net I have found a number lists of AMI BIOS bleep codes
>> but none mentions a long single bleep. Please can someone tell me
>> what it means? (I have removed and reseated the two 256Mb DIMMs with
>> no effect).
>>
>> The OS is XP Pro, re-installed and activated without query following
>> the fitting of the new M\Board, has not shown any symptoms of
>> distress.
>>
>> TIA for any help.
>>
>> Peter
>>
>> Also posted at alt.comp.bios

frodo

a single long beep, repeating every 2-3 seconds, w/ no other activity
means it does not like the memory and can not proceed. sometimes a cmos
clear can get it going if you downgraded your mem sticks and it's trying
to use old too-fast timings.