2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 15.6 or 17.3
3. What screen resolution do you want? 1920 x 1080
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? desktop replacement
5. How much battery life do you need? 2-3 hours would be ideal
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? css, crossfire, LoL, i would like to try some newever games that i cant currently play on my 5 year old desktop.
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) i would like to learn some basic video edting with sony vegas, cs5, after effects, ext.
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? 750gb at the low end, i can always pick up a 1T exterior hd
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. The only one that i know of is newegg. but it doesnt really matter to me.
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? I'm going into sophomore year in HS, so ideally i would like to upgrade at the end of my senior year for collage.
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? just basic dvd
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. i really like MSI, ive been buying it for years and in there new lines of laptops i really like typing with there new keyboards and the track pad is also very nice to use. I know this from testing out my friends. but im open to other companies.
13. What country do you live in? USA!!
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
i currently have a 9500GT in sli with an intel core 2 quad cpu at 2.66
the reason i need a laptop over a desktop is that my parents are getting split and i don't want to limit myself to only using the computer at certain houses, since i need it for school + bullshit + some games haha
I'm debating ether to get a 670M or 675M or 680M in the laptop, but im leaning twords 680M since its a lot better than the others, so it will hopefully last 3+ years.
one question that i have is how much of a performance increase will i see compared to my current desktop?
For a desktop replacement laptop, I would recommend 17" instead of 15". I personally found 15" to be a little too small for comfort. If you still wish to choose a 15" laptop, I would suggest going for a lower resolution and a lower graphics card since 15" screens really don't make good use of 1920x1080. Something like a 560m would be good enough for 15".
It's only $1300. You can save a lot of money by going for a 670m instead of a 680m. The 670m will still be able to max out almost every game. I wouldn't put too much into maxing graphics settings on a laptop since 17" doesn't make too good use of max details anyways. It on full size desktop screens that max settings start to look a lot more comfortable than high settings.
You are better off not voiding your warranty regardless of skill, a lot of things can go wrong with the laptop within the first year. Even after that I wouldn't recommend it, other things tend to die before the GPU/CPU would unless the cooling is really really bad. Even more so If you have not taken apart laptops before.
The only Time I ever replaced the thermal gunk on a laptop I made it worse by not paying enough attention to the thickness of the stuff I was replacing.