Fido Contracts?

I am on a month to month basis for $70 month unlimited plan. Can they
cancel it as soon as Rogers buys Microcell?
Should I sign up for a 2 year contract just before it is approved?

Big Al
3 answers Last reply
More about fido contracts

    On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 04:03:07 +0000, Al wrote:

    > I am on a month to month basis for $70 month unlimited plan. Can they
    > cancel it as soon as Rogers buys Microcell? Should I sign up for a 2 year
    > contract just before it is approved?
    >
    > Big Al

    Can they? Yes. Will they? Almost most certainly not.

    The standard practice is the grandfather plans if you want to get rid of
    them. I know some people that are still on plans with various companies
    YEARS after they were last offered.

    I personally would NEVER EVER sign a contract with a wireless provider,
    but that's just me.

    Al wrote:

    > I am on a month to month basis for $70 month unlimited plan. Can they
    > cancel it as soon as Rogers buys Microcell?

    Rogers is likely to honour fido customer packages whether on contract or not
    for at least one year after Rogers has officially taken control of Fido. And
    during that time, they will probably start to send "welcome to rogers" special
    offers as contracts lapse, inviting customers to switch to a rogers branded
    package, complete with some incentives (like a month free, or free weekends
    for a year if you sign a contract etc).

    Also, it will take quite a while before the transaction actually happens. Due
    process (including government approval of the elimination of competition in
    canada's wireless industry), as well as shareholder approval shouldn't happen
    until at least january. We should know more in a couple of weeks.

    So, if you fear for fido offerings, you might wish to wait for the transaction
    to be consumated before you lock yourself to Fido, this way, your Fido rate
    might last longer.

    Also, remember that Fido now sees a customer switching to contract as a form
    of payment for a cheap phone. So if when you do enter into a contract, make
    sure you negotiate for a new phone at reasonable price because once you,re
    locked in, you no longer have any leverage to get cheap phone.

    On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 04:03:07 GMT, "Al" <heychicksblowme@shaw.ca>
    wrote:

    >I am on a month to month basis for $70 month unlimited plan. Can they
    >cancel it as soon as Rogers buys Microcell?
    >Should I sign up for a 2 year contract just before it is approved?

    I don't know if they are *forced* to honour terms that you are under
    if they acquire Fido, but the usual practice of companies is to
    'grandfather' any present arrangement when the new company takes over.
    However, you should also understand that if you decide to make any
    change to that plan they may likely tell you that you cannot and you
    will lose any promotions/features you presently have and will be
    forced to be on a present plan offering.

Fido Rogers Internet Service Providers