Geforce driver install question

BrandtP

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2002
For years I have used Windows 98 SE, and recently changed to XP Home. I want to make sure I'm doing this right. The instructions to update video drivers from Nvidia instructs me to uninstall the current drivers, forcing a reboot. Under 98, you would then choose VGA driver for the display and then run the nVidia instsaller. When I tried this under XP I could not find a path to the VGA drivers. I didn't see an option to choose from a list of hardware devices as in 98. So I just cancelled out and ran the installer anyway and everything appeared to be fine. However, I know sometimes the way drivers are installed can have adverse effects.

Do I even have to update the drivers by first uninstalling the old ones? Where can I find the VGA drivers in XP?

Sorry for the simplistic question, but I am at times having difficulty with the transition to the unfamiliar XP.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
generally You'll only get performance problems when switching from Ati to Nvidia or something. Be grateful it worked at all - when I tried upgrading from 98 to XP it screwed my PC so much I ended up doing a clean install anyway.

If you think your performance is suffering, I think the Gfx drivers are the least of your problems. If you're really concerned, run 3dmark and other benchies and compare your results to others with similar hardware. If there's little or no difference then I wouldn't worry.

---
"Sex without love is an empty experience...
But as empty experiences go, it's one of the best" - Woody Allen

BrandtP

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2002
Chip, the performance is fine. I was just wondering if I went about updating the drivers correctly. Strangely enough, the OS install went without a hitch. I was really worried about that most of all.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Yeah, should be fine. Like I said, it's usually only when switching 'Camps' that it can be a problem. (Nvidia -> Ati for example).

As long as you have a decent amount of RAM (512Mb or more), XP is definitely a better choice. No real performance difference, but no rebooting every 5 minutes because something crashed. :eek:

Plus I always turn off all the bubbly primary colours interface crap myself :lol: as well as all the fancy menu animations and other wastes of time/resources.

I'm shortly getting a second-hand laptop with 98SE on it, so looks like I'll have to go through the pain of the upgrade again myself ... (I'm a Programmer, so XP's better stability and memory management is really helpful when my dodgy code keeps crashing :lol: )

---
"Sex without love is an empty experience...
But as empty experiences go, it's one of the best" - Woody Allen

BrandtP

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2002
Thanks, Chip. I see what you mean by the "camp switching." I think we all had horror stories after switching from Voodoo cards to Nvidia and the remnants left by the former in terms of driver installation.