On-board D915 GEV graphic card worth?

Venshad

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2004
Hi, I´ve got a terrible doubt about my next computer configuration.
I was about to buy a mid-way comp (XP 2600, MB NF7-S, 1gb DDR 400, HD 80 SATA and a Sapphire Radeon 9800 PRO 256 bits 128 mg) when I started to think about a new conf (P4 3.0, MB D915 GEV, 1gb DDR2 533 and no video).

My doubt is: Is it worth the price? Here in Brazil things are a little more expansive than in the US. The $$ difference between them is about $260,00...

I would REALLY appreciate some feedback about this conf...

I also would like to comfirm what was said to me: The on-board video of the D915 GEV is as fast as a FX5600. Is this true?

Sorry about so many questions, but I really need to know what is worth paying for.

Thanks

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The onboard video MIGHT be as fast as an FX5200, but that's in doubt, and the FX5200 is the worst DX9 card on the market.

The 9800 Pro is at least 10x as powerfull as Intel's onboard video. That means games that only get 5 frames per second on the Intel video would get at least 50 frames per second on the 9800 Pro.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Venshad

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2004
Thanks for your reply! Do you know where can I find a good PCI Express video card (I mean, the model)?
Does anyone has something more to say?

RichPLS

Champion
Radeon X700 PCI-E

<font color=red><pre>\\//__________________________________
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

rx7000

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2003
Do yourself a huge favor !!!!! Dont buy onboard graphics!!!!

Dont they make a 6600 GT Pci X and isnt it affordable?? (Just another option, dont know much about the card though or the configurations it comes in).

Asus p4c800 Deluxe,1 Gig Mushkin PC3200 Dual Channel Level II V2,Pentium 4 3.0 512k 800fsb HT, Thermaltake Xaser III, Thermaltake Spark 7+, Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum Pro, eVGA GeForce 6800 GT

RichPLS

Champion
The retail X700 ATI is around $170 US

So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

Venshad

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2004
Thanks for all the replies!!!!

By the time I wrote the frist posto, I was thinking about buying something new like the PCIx.

However I decided to way until May or June to see what is coming and to get lower prices for the new technologies.

By now I am thinking about buying the X800 XT PCIx, or maybe the 6800 (if it get cheaper ;] ).

If someone has more comments, please, post it!

RichPLS

Champion
PCI-X (64bit PCI bus) is not the same as PCI-E (PCI express x16)