Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Yet another i cant choose thread

Last response: in Laptop Tech Support
Share
August 31, 2012 4:43:35 PM

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/hewlett-packard-hp-...

or

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/hewlett-packard-hp-...


is the $120 difference worth it from the a-8 to the i5 3210?

im going to be be doing some not very intensive programming and some light gaming, light being mabye Skyrim, Civ 5, some older games that i know both will run

its for school and as a desktop replacement

thoughts?

More about : choose thread

August 31, 2012 4:56:29 PM

Quote:
for light gaming and programming? better get the A8 and save money.
But you also have cheaper options, like this one:
http://www.amazon.ca/HP-Pavilion-G6-2090ca-15-6-Inch-No...


good find but i guess i forgot to mention that bestbuy is preferred because i have 200 bucks in gift cards

but deff still a good find
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
August 31, 2012 4:58:47 PM

I would definitely go with the Intel one. However, if this is a desktop replacement you don't want either of those. HP laptops are horribly unreliable and in my professional opinion can at times be quite uncomfortable to use.

Playing games on HP laptops turns them into flaming balls of molten metals, insulators and goopy polymers so I would definitely recommend something more expensive.

Since this is for you school I very highly recommend that you keep in mind that this is for school first and gaming second. This means that you want something that you can write papers on and do homework on before something that you can play games on.

To remedy this, don't go to best buy. Go to a dedicated computer shop instead. Lenovo, Asus, Dell, and MSI all make good reliable laptops. HP, Toshiba and Acer should be avoided with the same degree of diligence that you would use to avoid the plague.

I personally recommend Lenovo's Thinkpad lineup as a good "school and business" oriented laptop design. They're not the greatest for gaming but they make few compromises and can take a royal beating structurally.

Asus makes some very solid and affordable gaming laptops. They are going to be far more expensive than either of those HP Pavilion laptops but they won't let you down after 3 months either. A good Asus laptop can last 4 years, the same can be said for Dell
m
0
l
Related resources
a b D Laptop
August 31, 2012 5:26:36 PM

Pinhedd said:
Playing games on HP laptops turns them into flaming balls of molten metals, insulators and goopy polymers so I would definitely recommend something more expensive.


There are quite a few reviews of the new HP Trinity setups stating quite the opposite, specifically that the new trinity laptops from HP have great thermals.

It all comes down to what you need to do. If you need to complete many CPU intensive tasks for what ever reasons then go with the intel, if you just need it for basic school work and light gaming then go with the AMD. The AMD will get better battery life as it will need to use the dedicated graphics less since it's integrated GPU is more than capable of playing current to older games on low to medium settings.
m
0
l
August 31, 2012 6:07:26 PM

just found this guy

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/hewlett-packard-hp-...

and i know its an hp and it will get hot blablabla im not putting it on my lap or anything, ive looked at msi and asus and nothing really fits my needs that is available here or is in the same price range, my only concern at this point is if the heating will cause damage to the computer, i have a 2008 MacBookPro that i got as a present and it runs 105 C without any damage (the 105 is mostly the gpu) so this should be fine in the same way right?
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
August 31, 2012 6:20:20 PM

airanp said:
There are quite a few reviews of the new HP Trinity setups stating quite the opposite, specifically that the new trinity laptops from HP have great thermals.

It all comes down to what you need to do. If you need to complete many CPU intensive tasks for what ever reasons then go with the intel, if you just need it for basic school work and light gaming then go with the AMD. The AMD will get better battery life as it will need to use the dedicated graphics less since it's integrated GPU is more than capable of playing current to older games on low to medium settings.


The Trinity APUs are certainly a hit as far as the benchmarks are concerned and the TDP seems to be reasonable but it has been my experience that HP Laptops in general have poor cooling, even with low end components. I'll keep an open mind though and read a few more reviews.
m
0
l
August 31, 2012 6:34:45 PM

Quote:
for this price you can get the GT 640M

everything i can find with a 640m is $1000+
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
August 31, 2012 6:40:34 PM

swords24 said:
just found this guy

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/hewlett-packard-hp-...

and i know its an hp and it will get hot blablabla im not putting it on my lap or anything, ive looked at msi and asus and nothing really fits my needs that is available here or is in the same price range, my only concern at this point is if the heating will cause damage to the computer, i have a 2008 MacBookPro that i got as a present and it runs 105 C without any damage (the 105 is mostly the gpu) so this should be fine in the same way right?


http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/hewlett-packard-hp-...

That would be my personal choice. It will do everything that you want to do and then some. I would not really call an A8-4500m a desktop replacement but for the price point it is a great deal and the 7670m will not disappoint when it comes to gaming. Once the hybrid crossfire is more mature and more games work with it you will already be set with this combination as well.

@pinhedd
I can see your point, and with intel setups the HP's are certainly running hot, but with the trinity APU's they seem to be doing great. I wish I could find the review I was reading at overclocker.net but in a nutshell a guy bought the dv6z-7000 with an a10-4600m and the 7730m and was reporting that it was running surprisingly cool even under load. I'll try to find it but as far as I have read trinity APU is much much better with heat in HP laptops versus intel variants.
m
0
l
!