Changing Transfer Modes from PIO to DMA

I posted a few days ago regarding my Dell 4550's speed problem, and was told
to change my Current Transfer Mode from PIO to DMA by changing my drive
setting from OFF to AUTO in the Bios.

But when I go into my Bios to change this, I'm finding that my Primary
Device 0 is already set to AUTO. It's not set to OFF according to the
Bios. But once my computer boots up and I check my Primary IDE Properties
under Device Manager, it still says that my Current Transfer Mode is PIO
Mode.

So changing this setting in the Bios doesn't seem to work, since nothing in
the Bios looks as if it needs changing.

On bootup, my computer has been staying at the Windows XP logo screen longer
than normal, and the entire bootup process seems to take about twice as long
as it normally should. Since the drive setting looks fine in the Bios, but
seems changed once I get to my desktop, could Windows somehow be changing
things during the bootup process?

I'm really stumped here.
17 answers Last reply
More about changing transfer modes

    "Terry Summers" <tsum@tsummer.net> wrote in message
    > I posted a few days ago regarding my Dell 4550's speed problem, and was
    told
    > to change my Current Transfer Mode from PIO to DMA by changing my drive
    > setting from OFF to AUTO in the Bios.
    >
    > But when I go into my Bios to change this, I'm finding that my Primary
    > Device 0 is already set to AUTO. It's not set to OFF according to the
    > Bios. But once my computer boots up and I check my Primary IDE Properties
    > under Device Manager, it still says that my Current Transfer Mode is PIO
    > Mode.
    >
    > So changing this setting in the Bios doesn't seem to work, since nothing
    in
    > the Bios looks as if it needs changing.
    >
    > On bootup, my computer has been staying at the Windows XP logo screen
    longer
    > than normal, and the entire bootup process seems to take about twice as
    long
    > as it normally should. Since the drive setting looks fine in the Bios,
    but
    > seems changed once I get to my desktop, could Windows somehow be changing
    > things during the bootup process?
    >
    > I'm really stumped here.

    BTW, I tried the toggle trick suggested at the following link, but it didn't
    work for me. Nothing changed.

    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/IDE-DMA.mspx

    > "Terry Summers" <tsum@tsummer.net> wrote in message
    > > I posted a few days ago regarding my Dell 4550's speed problem, and was
    > told
    > > to change my Current Transfer Mode from PIO to DMA by changing my drive
    > > setting from OFF to AUTO in the Bios.
    > >
    > > But when I go into my Bios to change this, I'm finding that my Primary
    > > Device 0 is already set to AUTO. It's not set to OFF according to the
    > > Bios. But once my computer boots up and I check my Primary IDE
    Properties
    > > under Device Manager, it still says that my Current Transfer Mode is PIO
    > > Mode.
    > >
    > > So changing this setting in the Bios doesn't seem to work, since nothing
    > in
    > > the Bios looks as if it needs changing.
    > >
    > > On bootup, my computer has been staying at the Windows XP logo screen
    > longer
    > > than normal, and the entire bootup process seems to take about twice as
    > long
    > > as it normally should. Since the drive setting looks fine in the Bios,
    > but
    > > seems changed once I get to my desktop, could Windows somehow be
    changing
    > > things during the bootup process?
    > >
    > > I'm really stumped here.
    > >

    > BTW, I tried the toggle trick suggested at the following link, but it
    didn't
    > work for me. Nothing changed.
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/IDE-DMA.mspx

    And I *think* (though I'm far from positive) that my computer went into PIO
    mode after these errors occurred:

    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v319/PaladinPics/warning2.jpg

    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v319/PaladinPics/error2.jpg

    Since 3/3/05 is around the time that I started noticing the slowdown.

    Which brings up another question...are these errors and warnings serious,
    and is my HD failing?

    "Terry Summers" <tsum@tsummer.net> wrote:
    >And I *think* (though I'm far from positive) that my computer went into PIO
    >mode after these errors occurred:
    >
    >http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v319/PaladinPics/warning2.jpg
    >
    >http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v319/PaladinPics/error2.jpg

    Yeah, run the manufacturer's diag on the hard drive and get Dell to
    replace it under warranty. And/or run the Dell diags on the
    motherboard, with special attention to hard drive controller sections.
    Select that one part and do it "0" iterations...

    On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 19:33:59 -0500, Terry Summers wrote:

    > I posted a few days ago regarding my Dell 4550's speed problem, and was told
    > to change my Current Transfer Mode from PIO to DMA by changing my drive
    > setting from OFF to AUTO in the Bios.
    >
    > But when I go into my Bios to change this, I'm finding that my Primary
    > Device 0 is already set to AUTO. It's not set to OFF according to the
    > Bios. But once my computer boots up and I check my Primary IDE Properties
    > under Device Manager, it still says that my Current Transfer Mode is PIO
    > Mode.
    >
    > So changing this setting in the Bios doesn't seem to work, since nothing in
    > the Bios looks as if it needs changing.

    How about changing the cable between the motherboard and the drive? Get
    one of the newer 80 conductor cables - they provide better noise rejection
    between data conductors, and you can't get the higher DMA settings without
    an 80 vs the 40.

    While I've not followed your thread, is it safe to assume that you changed
    the drive or something on the same cable?

    --
    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

    > On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 19:33:59 -0500, Terry Summers wrote:
    > >
    > > I posted a few days ago regarding my Dell 4550's speed problem, and was
    told
    > > to change my Current Transfer Mode from PIO to DMA by changing my drive
    > > setting from OFF to AUTO in the Bios.
    > >
    > > But when I go into my Bios to change this, I'm finding that my Primary
    > > Device 0 is already set to AUTO. It's not set to OFF according to the
    > > Bios. But once my computer boots up and I check my Primary IDE
    Properties
    > > under Device Manager, it still says that my Current Transfer Mode is PIO
    > > Mode.
    > >
    > > So changing this setting in the Bios doesn't seem to work, since nothing
    in
    > > the Bios looks as if it needs changing.
    >
    > How about changing the cable between the motherboard and the drive? Get
    > one of the newer 80 conductor cables - they provide better noise rejection
    > between data conductors, and you can't get the higher DMA settings without
    > an 80 vs the 40.
    >
    > While I've not followed your thread, is it safe to assume that you changed
    > the drive or something on the same cable?
    >
    > --
    > spam999free@rrohio.com
    > remove 999 in order to email me

    I didn't change anything. My Dell 4550 was working great for over 2 years,
    then all of a sudden it got really slow on me.

    On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 19:53:09 -0500, Terry Summers wrote:

    > I didn't change anything. My Dell 4550 was working great for over 2 years,
    > then all of a sudden it got really slow on me.

    If you didn't change anything, and CHKDSK shows no problems with the
    drive, and you've not wiped and reinstalled the OS, then you've got some
    form of malware on the computer.

    Did you wipe/reinstall the OS yet?

    --

    > "Terry Summers" <tsum@tsummer.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Terry Summers" <tsum@tsummer.net> wrote in message
    >> > I posted a few days ago regarding my Dell 4550's speed problem, and was
    >> told
    >> > to change my Current Transfer Mode from PIO to DMA by changing my drive
    >> > setting from OFF to AUTO in the Bios.
    >> >
    >> > But when I go into my Bios to change this, I'm finding that my Primary
    >> > Device 0 is already set to AUTO. It's not set to OFF according to the
    >> > Bios. But once my computer boots up and I check my Primary IDE
    > Properties
    >> > under Device Manager, it still says that my Current Transfer Mode is
    >> > PIO
    >> > Mode.
    >> >
    >> > So changing this setting in the Bios doesn't seem to work, since
    >> > nothing
    >> in
    >> > the Bios looks as if it needs changing.
    >> >
    >> > On bootup, my computer has been staying at the Windows XP logo screen
    >> longer
    >> > than normal, and the entire bootup process seems to take about twice as
    >> long
    >> > as it normally should. Since the drive setting looks fine in the Bios,
    >> but
    >> > seems changed once I get to my desktop, could Windows somehow be
    > changing
    >> > things during the bootup process?
    >> >
    >> > I'm really stumped here.
    >> >

    >> BTW, I tried the toggle trick suggested at the following link, but it
    > didn't
    >> work for me. Nothing changed.
    >>
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/IDE-DMA.mspx
    >>

    > And I *think* (though I'm far from positive) that my computer went into
    > PIO
    > mode after these errors occurred:
    >
    > http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v319/PaladinPics/warning2.jpg
    >
    > http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v319/PaladinPics/error2.jpg
    >
    > Since 3/3/05 is around the time that I started noticing the slowdown.
    >
    > Which brings up another question...are these errors and warnings serious,
    > and is my HD failing?

    Well, that was very useful!

    Your drive is toast (my opinion). Backup and replace the drive. The 4550
    will support as large a drive as you want. I have a 250Gb in mine.

    Tom

    > "Terry Summers" <tsum@tsummer.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Terry Summers" <tsum@tsummer.net> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> "Terry Summers" <tsum@tsummer.net> wrote in message
    > >> told

    Primary
    > > Properties

    > >> in

    > >> longer
    > >> long
    Bios,
    > >> but
    > > changing

    > >> BTW, I tried the toggle trick suggested at the following link, but it
    > > didn't
    > >> work for me. Nothing changed.
    > >>
    > >> http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/IDE-DMA.mspx
    > >>

    > > And I *think* (though I'm far from positive) that my computer went into
    > > PIO
    > > mode after these errors occurred:
    > >
    > > http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v319/PaladinPics/warning2.jpg
    > >
    > > http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v319/PaladinPics/error2.jpg
    > >
    > > Since 3/3/05 is around the time that I started noticing the slowdown.
    > >
    > > Which brings up another question...are these errors and warnings
    serious,
    > > and is my HD failing?
    > >

    > Well, that was very useful!

    Thank you. :) I want to help you help me as much as possible. :)

    > Your drive is toast (my opinion). Backup and replace the drive. The 4550
    > will support as large a drive as you want. I have a 250Gb in mine.
    >
    > Tom

    I bought my 4550 in February of 2003, and got a 3 year extended warranty
    when I bought it. Do you think Dell will send me a new hard drive, even
    though this one is still working (for the moment, at least)?

    >> "Terry Summers" <tsum@tsummer.net> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > "Terry Summers" <tsum@tsummer.net> wrote in message

    > was
    > drive

    > Primary
    > the
    >> > Properties

    > as
    > Bios,
    >> > changing

    >> > didn't

    >> > And I *think* (though I'm far from positive) that my computer went into
    >> > PIO
    >> > mode after these errors occurred:
    >> >
    >> > http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v319/PaladinPics/warning2.jpg
    >> >
    >> > http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v319/PaladinPics/error2.jpg
    >> >
    >> > Since 3/3/05 is around the time that I started noticing the slowdown.
    >> >
    >> > Which brings up another question...are these errors and warnings
    > serious,
    >> > and is my HD failing?
    >> >

    >> Well, that was very useful!
    >>

    > Thank you. :) I want to help you help me as much as possible. :)
    >
    >> Your drive is toast (my opinion). Backup and replace the drive. The 4550
    >> will support as large a drive as you want. I have a 250Gb in mine.
    >>
    >> Tom
    >>

    > I bought my 4550 in February of 2003, and got a 3 year extended warranty
    > when I bought it. Do you think Dell will send me a new hard drive, even
    > though this one is still working (for the moment, at least)?

    Maybe. The error messages will help.

    Assuming the diagnostic partition is still on the hard drive:

    1) Reboot.
    2) At the Dell logo, press Ctrl+Alt+D.
    3) follow the prompts to test the hard drive.
    4) If it fails, they will replace it.

    Tom

    > "Terry Summers" <tsum@tsummer.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
    > >>

    > >> "Terry Summers" <tsum@tsummer.net> wrote in message

    > > was
    > > drive

    > > Primary
    > > the

    > > as
    > > Bios,

    > > serious,
    > >> >

    > >> Well, that was very useful!
    > >>

    > > Thank you. :) I want to help you help me as much as possible. :)
    > >
    > >> Your drive is toast (my opinion). Backup and replace the drive. The
    4550
    > >> will support as large a drive as you want. I have a 250Gb in mine.
    > >>
    > >> Tom
    > >>

    > > I bought my 4550 in February of 2003, and got a 3 year extended warranty
    > > when I bought it. Do you think Dell will send me a new hard drive, even
    > > though this one is still working (for the moment, at least)?
    > >

    > Maybe. The error messages will help.
    >
    > Assuming the diagnostic partition is still on the hard drive:
    >
    > 1) Reboot.
    > 2) At the Dell logo, press Ctrl+Alt+D.
    > 3) follow the prompts to test the hard drive.
    > 4) If it fails, they will replace it.
    >
    > Tom

    I just tried that, and it actually passed that test.

    I'll call Dell tomorrow though and see what they can do for me.

    "Terry Summers" <tsum@tsummer.net> wrote:
    >> 1) Reboot.
    >> 2) At the Dell logo, press Ctrl+Alt+D.
    >> 3) follow the prompts to test the hard drive.

    >I just tried that, and it actually passed that test.

    Don't run the Dell test, run the disk drive manufacturer's diagnostic.
    Who makes the drive again?

    Also, in the Dell diags, run the controller diags in a loop for an
    hour or so and see if anything fails.

    <William P.N. Smith> wrote in message
    > "Terry Summers" <tsum@tsummer.net> wrote:
    >>> 1) Reboot.
    >>> 2) At the Dell logo, press Ctrl+Alt+D.
    >>> 3) follow the prompts to test the hard drive.
    >
    >>I just tried that, and it actually passed that test.
    >
    > Don't run the Dell test, run the disk drive manufacturer's diagnostic.
    > Who makes the drive again?
    >
    > Also, in the Dell diags, run the controller diags in a loop for an
    > hour or so and see if anything fails.

    I agree. The OP needs to run the diags from either his utility partition
    (F12 at the dell splash) or his resource cd.

    I'd also suggest he focus on HDD and mb IDE controller diags....

    Stew

    Terry Summers wrote:

    >I posted a few days ago regarding my Dell 4550's speed problem, and was told
    >to change my Current Transfer Mode from PIO to DMA by changing my drive
    >setting from OFF to AUTO in the Bios.
    >
    >But when I go into my Bios to change this, I'm finding that my Primary
    >Device 0 is already set to AUTO. It's not set to OFF according to the
    >Bios. But once my computer boots up and I check my Primary IDE Properties
    >under Device Manager, it still says that my Current Transfer Mode is PIO
    >Mode.
    >
    >So changing this setting in the Bios doesn't seem to work, since nothing in
    >the Bios looks as if it needs changing.
    >
    >On bootup, my computer has been staying at the Windows XP logo screen longer
    >than normal, and the entire bootup process seems to take about twice as long
    >as it normally should. Since the drive setting looks fine in the Bios, but
    >seems changed once I get to my desktop, could Windows somehow be changing
    >things during the bootup process?
    >
    >I'm really stumped here.

    If the drive has degraded to PIO mode, there is probably some other
    problem to deal with. Running diagnostics, etc. to discover that would
    be good. Make sure your fan(s) are operating so that heat is not a factor.

    The only way I know to reset the mode is to remove the primary IDE
    channel in the device manager, then reboot to let it be reinstalled.

    "Jerry Park" <NoReply@No.Spam> wrote in message
    > Terry Summers wrote:
    >
    > >I posted a few days ago regarding my Dell 4550's speed problem, and was
    told
    > >to change my Current Transfer Mode from PIO to DMA by changing my drive
    > >setting from OFF to AUTO in the Bios.
    > >
    > >But when I go into my Bios to change this, I'm finding that my Primary
    > >Device 0 is already set to AUTO. It's not set to OFF according to the
    > >Bios. But once my computer boots up and I check my Primary IDE
    Properties
    > >under Device Manager, it still says that my Current Transfer Mode is PIO
    > >Mode.
    > >
    > >So changing this setting in the Bios doesn't seem to work, since nothing
    in
    > >the Bios looks as if it needs changing.
    > >
    > >On bootup, my computer has been staying at the Windows XP logo screen
    longer
    > >than normal, and the entire bootup process seems to take about twice as
    long
    > >as it normally should. Since the drive setting looks fine in the Bios,
    but
    > >seems changed once I get to my desktop, could Windows somehow be changing
    > >things during the bootup process?
    > >
    > >I'm really stumped here.
    > >

    > If the drive has degraded to PIO mode, there is probably some other
    > problem to deal with. Running diagnostics, etc. to discover that would
    > be good. Make sure your fan(s) are operating so that heat is not a factor.
    >
    > The only way I know to reset the mode is to remove the primary IDE
    > channel in the device manager, then reboot to let it be reinstalled.

    Yes, that's what I ended up doing, and I'm now in Ultra DMA 5. So at least
    I have the speed problem fixed. Thanks to everyone who was so helpful!!

    Now I have to see if Dell will send me a new drive even though my current
    one is working at the moment.

    If you believe that you have a bad HDD, make sure that you are backing up
    important data. Also that you have your reinstallation CD, resource CD, and
    any Dell provided driver/software CD's available. Also if you can't find
    your driver/resource CD, that you download from Dell, the driver downloads
    from their site. And burn them to blank CD's.

    I would backup the following folder, since it will have the Dell driver and
    some Dell software files that you currently have installed on your PC.

    C:\DELL\drivers

    --

    Rich/rerat

    (RRR News) <message rule>

    In article <G%_Xd.20401$5T6.13864@bignews4.bellsouth.net>,
    NoReply@No.Spam says...
    > Terry Summers wrote:
    >
    > >I posted a few days ago regarding my Dell 4550's speed problem, and was told
    > >to change my Current Transfer Mode from PIO to DMA by changing my drive
    > >setting from OFF to AUTO in the Bios.
    > >
    > >But when I go into my Bios to change this, I'm finding that my Primary
    > >Device 0 is already set to AUTO. It's not set to OFF according to the
    > >Bios. But once my computer boots up and I check my Primary IDE Properties
    > >under Device Manager, it still says that my Current Transfer Mode is PIO
    > >Mode.
    > >
    > >So changing this setting in the Bios doesn't seem to work, since nothing in
    > >the Bios looks as if it needs changing.
    > >
    > >On bootup, my computer has been staying at the Windows XP logo screen longer
    > >than normal, and the entire bootup process seems to take about twice as long
    > >as it normally should. Since the drive setting looks fine in the Bios, but
    > >seems changed once I get to my desktop, could Windows somehow be changing
    > >things during the bootup process?
    > >
    > >I'm really stumped here.
    > >

    > If the drive has degraded to PIO mode, there is probably some other
    > problem to deal with. Running diagnostics, etc. to discover that would
    > be good. Make sure your fan(s) are operating so that heat is not a factor.
    >
    > The only way I know to reset the mode is to remove the primary IDE
    > channel in the device manager, then reboot to let it be reinstalled.

    If your CD/DVD drive is located on the secondary IDE channel you can
    "FORCE" DMA mode by downloading the PUSHDMA2.EXE utility from the Dell
    support site (search for it).

    If you have a newer system with SATA there is no secondary IDE channel,
    so the PUSHDMA2.EXE utility won't work for you.
  17. Quote:

[...]

    Dell is good at swapping peripherals when they are suspect, give them all the info and tell them the trouble you went through (diags and all) and that should not be an issue.

    One thing you can try is yank the CD/DVD which sometimes shares the DMA channels of the HArd disk, I've heard that windows may flag all devices sharing the same DMA channel and send all the devices to PIO (That can be sent).

    And Best of Luck
    Duf

Dell BIOS DMA Computers