Steve Punter's opinion on Fido takeover ?

Last response: in Network Providers
September 28, 2004 8:43:11 AM

Hey Mr Punter, would you care to chime in with your opinions and prognostics
on the proposed takeover of Fido by Rogers ?
Anonymous
September 28, 2004 2:36:43 PM

http://www.arcx.com/sites/faq.htm#RogersBuyFido

"JF Mezei" <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote in message
> Hey Mr Punter, would you care to chime in with your opinions and
prognostics
> on the proposed takeover of Fido by Rogers ?
Anonymous
September 28, 2004 11:39:14 PM

Chopz said:_

> http://www.arcx.com/sites/faq.htm#RogersBuyFido
------------------

I am not too convinced. He did think that the Telus bid could succeed,
and it did not even come close to that.
September 29, 2004 4:33:38 AM

It's not over yet.

"Munger" <fakeaddress@fakeaddress.com> wrote in message
> Chopz said:_
>
> > http://www.arcx.com/sites/faq.htm#RogersBuyFido
> ------------------
>

> I am not too convinced. He did think that the Telus bid could succeed,
> and it did not even come close to that.
Anonymous
September 29, 2004 4:14:22 PM

Chopz wrote:

> It's not over yet.

Judging that the banks want this to happen (aka: why the Fido board approved
the deal so quickly), judging how much influence the big bad banks have on the
federal government, judging on how the government conveniently lifted the
spectrum cap this summer, I'd say that the feds have already agreed in
principle to allow the banks to offload Fido to Rogers.

There is one chance left: the civil servants at the competition bureau rule in
our favour and block the deal, despite pressure from higher levels of
government, and Sir Richard comes in to buy Microcell and while the Fido brand
would be charged to Virgin, we'd keep the Fido mentality and Sir Richard would
make the big legacy carriers hurt just like Virgin Atlantic has made British
Airways hurt badly.
Anonymous
September 30, 2004 11:25:17 PM

JF Mezei <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote in message news:<415ADF5D.C1A9F8B5@teksavvy.com>...
> Chopz wrote:
> >
> > It's not over yet.
>
> Judging that the banks want this to happen (aka: why the Fido board approved
> the deal so quickly), judging how much influence the big bad banks have on the
> federal government, judging on how the government conveniently lifted the
> spectrum cap this summer, I'd say that the feds have already agreed in
> principle to allow the banks to offload Fido to Rogers.
>
> There is one chance left: the civil servants at the competition bureau rule in
> our favour and block the deal, despite pressure from higher levels of
> government, and Sir Richard comes in to buy Microcell and while the Fido brand
> would be charged to Virgin, we'd keep the Fido mentality and Sir Richard would
> make the big legacy carriers hurt just like Virgin Atlantic has made British
> Airways hurt badly.

I'm not sure that could happen:
- not same technology
- already in agreement with Bell
- not same customers (they aim at 12-18 years old)
!