Microsoft's Laptop Hunters Returns, $700 PC Wins

Status
Not open for further replies.

jincongz

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
Great battery life? Macbook! Sharing Photos? iPhoto pwns all. They don't mention those people getting shelling out $300 for software to do the stuff iLife does, do they...

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
I read your title, and thought it was a jab at Microsoft that one of the Laptop Hunters actually RETURNED one of the laptops they were GIVEN...

08nwsula

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
[citation][nom]jincongz[/nom]Sharing Photos? iPhoto pwns all[/citation]
it's kind of hard to share photos through iPhoto when barely anybody uses a mac

thebatman

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
[citation][nom]jincongz[/nom]Great battery life? Macbook! Sharing Photos? iPhoto pwns all. They don't mention those people getting shelling out $300 for software to do the stuff iLife does, do they...[/citatio

Your argument to completely invalid.

So much so, that I'm not even going to bother explaining why...

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
if they want any credibility at all, they should really do one where the mac wins.
... it could go something like "young metro-sexual try-hard who doesn't mind being ripped of finds mac for $3000"

war2k9

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
Please no more hp laptop, I have return so many of those hp cheap laptop for service and it is not even funny. There are so many brands of pc laptops out there choose something different.

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
[citation][nom]doomtomb[/nom]Whoa she's hot but why the interracial??[/citation]

Wow really? I'm glad we are modern thinking here... /s

Anyway, if you think HP is bad then you should loiter at an Apple store...

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
Example that I witnessed in line trying to get an iPhone. (before I upgraded to a blackberry Bold):

"Hello my macbook wont boot and it is under warranty."

"It has been modified and the warranty is void, notice the ripped tape"

"But I had an Apple technician upgrade the RAM at this store a few months back."

"Ah, that's your problem. After an upgrade you must purchase the warranty again, sorry."

Note that it costs $80 an hour to do modifications at this store, and he told me the tech charged him for 1 and a half hours to upgrade RAM. This is one of the reasons I hate everything Apple and so does he. He now exclusively buys PCs and is much happier with them after I showed him how you can turn Windows into the OS you want with a little bit of time. I've built 2 great PCs for him that out perform any form of computer he ever had and he paid less for either of them than any other computer before.

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
[citation][nom]The_Blood_Raven[/nom]Wow really? I'm glad we are modern thinking here... /sAnyway, if you think HP is bad then you should loiter at an Apple store...[/citation]
Lol, you think that's modern thinking? It's not universal thinking that's for sure.

cruiseoveride

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2006
[citation][nom]doomtomb[/nom]Whoa she's hot but why the interracial??[/citation]

Microsoft desperately needed a token black guy to prevent any racial rumor mills

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
[citation][nom]doomtomb[/nom]Lol, you think that's modern thinking? It's not universal thinking that's for sure.[/citation]

What I meant was that it was old style thinking, not modern progressive. That's why it was sarcasm. /s = sarcasm.

G

Sigh,...fanboys will they ever shut up. We all know that neither operating system is perfect, except for windows millennium edition (greatest O.S. ever!)

Anyone who can't do a ram upgrade themselves (really? It's dead simple) and get's suckered into paying $80 an hour deserves to lose their hard earned cash. (probably a fake story. No one charges $80 an hour and takes 90 min to do a ram upgrade. Takes 20 min at most) Now stop claiming your an expert and actually try to do something beneficial for the community. Learn some code, develop an actual product, for god's sake stop saying I've built this or that because all it takes too put together a half-decent system is the ability to read badly translated instruction manuals.

Also, no the ilife suite is not fantastic, but it's not a horrorfest either. It works for the average consumer. Done

Also, why an HP again? Hell, why not just do a vid of a family at home shopping at newegg? Maybe make a "desktop hunter" episode? They'd be able to rag on apple so much more knowing that the mac mini is aterrible buy.

-typed on my beloved last generation macbook pro running W 7100. Because I can.

verrul

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
wrong apple store charges anywhere from 80 to 120 an hour depending on the job. Another rip off was the program gateway had before acer shut the brand down. Yo buy a gateway on a credit loan basis and get a free upgrade in 2 years. Two things were wrong with this. the loan was for a 5 year term and you ended up paying 4-8 times what the computer would cost to begin with. Then if you installed ANY software that wasn't on the gateway to begin with you violated the warranty and the service agreement. This included games and stuff like firefox. I worked as an independent certified repair tech for acer and dell for a while. Some of the crap that acer got away with their gateway line was criminal.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
I'm left wondering if the interracial "couple" (they of course are actors and not really a couple) Is actually a intentional part of the advertisement. To seem hip and modern. I have nothing against such couples (I have dated outside my race) but I do kind of find it wrong to use it as a method to make advertisements more appealing seems more like exploitation.

Anyways I'm getting sick of these commercials. While they do make a good point I am getting annoyed that they are basically the same thing over and over just with different actors. I truly don't understand the whole "you find it you keep it" part as its obvious they are paid actors and not randomly selected people.

hispeed120

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2008
I wish they would make a "You build it, we pay for it" commercial. I would easily act the part for that.

I'm pretty sure most of us would be able to build a system that would trounce an Apple for the price (I'm talking desktops here).

seraphimcaduto

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
big + cheap = clunky...guess they'll get what they pay for. If you are going to have a commercial that slams apple, at least choose a reliable laptop brand, i.e. not dell/hp (IBM, sony, asus, ect,)

Caffeinecarl

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008
[citation][nom]jincongz[/nom]Great battery life? Macbook! Sharing Photos? iPhoto pwns all. They don't mention those people getting shelling out $300 for software to do the stuff iLife does, do they...[/citation]
$300 for software for sharing software? All I can say is... Windows Live Photo Gallery! (as if MS commercials didn't mention it enough) Don't like MS all that much? Picasa! Don't like Google? GIMP!

G

I am an IT Professional who is certified by Cisco, Microsoft and others. I work in an enterprise level windows environment and I must say this about Mac & PC: If you consider the price and only the usual hardware specs say processor speed, ram or hard drive space then yes a cheaper pc will likely to get the job done for less money. However, you don't buy a mac for only the processor speed, ram or hard drive space. You buy a mac because it has a solid operating system that uses less system resources, boots and launches applications faster then windows XP or Vista.

I am a windows power user using a macbook pro to do my job in a large enterprise, and I'm happy with it.

Thin, solid aluminum construction producing less heat then comparably equipped HP or Dell, 7 Hour battery life, back lit keyboard, excellent display...These are all the things that make our exec's want mac's too.

Aside from mac notebooks, there really is no place for macs in large corporate environments at least for the time being.

Cheers to all the people in the Mac vs PC battle ;)

ravenware

Distinguished
May 17, 2005
[citation][nom]The_Blood_Raven[/nom]1 and a half hours to upgrade RAM[/citation]

WTF? Are people really that stupid?

Dude, 5 fu**ing minutes tops.

Status
Not open for further replies.