Sharing Network Printers?

May 25, 2005 7:37:15 AM

I have shared out my WINXP computer printer on my home network. But, I an
unable to add or even see this computer on the home network from my WINME
computer. From the WINME computer I can see shared out directories on my XP
machine...just can't see the printer. I can, however, see the printer from
another XP computer on my home network. Any ideas?

Russ
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 7:39:51 AM

I meant to say... I cannot see this shared printer from the ME computer. I
can see the shared printer on another XP computer on the same home network..
Russ
"Russ" <russstodieck@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>I have shared out my WINXP computer printer on my home network. But, I an
>unable to add or even see this computer on the home network from my WINME
>computer. From the WINME computer I can see shared out directories on my
>XP machine...just can't see the printer. I can, however, see the printer
>from another XP computer on my home network. Any ideas?
>
> Russ

Anonymous
May 25, 2005 9:24:40 AM

well we had a similar problem once, mixing o/s on a network, we found
you could only see all the prinetrs fro mal lthe m,achines if you put
the prinetrs on the oldest PC's. Trying to see a printer on an XP
machione from a 98 machine we never managed it on that site. Coupla
other sites it worked but was very shaky and kept dissappearing. try
putting the printer on the oldest PC and sharing it from there, thats
worth a try.

--
guestfromhell
guestfromhell's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=12490

If you run a software firewall make sure that the computer is in the trusted
network or is a trusted computer. I have tried to figure out why I cant
connect to something for hours before I realize that computer isnt trusted.

Locke

"Russ" <russstodieck@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>I have shared out my WINXP computer printer on my home network. But, I an
>unable to add or even see this computer on the home network from my WINME
>computer. From the WINME computer I can see shared out directories on my
>XP machine...just can't see the printer. I can, however, see the printer
>from another XP computer on my home network. Any ideas?
>
> Russ

Anonymous
May 26, 2005 3:42:29 AM

Thanks... The problem was using a poor naming convention for the shared
printer.

Solution:
Check the 'share name' of the printer on the XP box.
Make sure it's 12 characters or less, only letters and numbers - no odd
characters like spaces etc.

Good: 'HP600'
Bad: 'Design Jet 600 by HP'

"Locke" <this@that.com> wrote in message
> If you run a software firewall make sure that the computer is in the
> trusted network or is a trusted computer. I have tried to figure out why
> I cant connect to something for hours before I realize that computer isnt
> trusted.
>
> Locke
>
> "Russ" <russstodieck@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>>I have shared out my WINXP computer printer on my home network. But, I an
>>unable to add or even see this computer on the home network from my WINME
>>computer. From the WINME computer I can see shared out directories on my
>>XP machine...just can't see the printer. I can, however, see the printer
>>from another XP computer on my home network. Any ideas?
>>
>> Russ

Anonymous
May 29, 2005 11:47:47 AM

Russ

Quite often sharing resources on a network with different os has issues like
you describe. The best thing to do is replicate your login on the XP machine
on your ME one. Whatever you login on the XP machine create the same account
on the ME machine. Have had this fault networking W98 to WXP and this has
cured it.

Linden
"Locke" <this@that.com> wrote in message
> If you run a software firewall make sure that the computer is in the
> trusted network or is a trusted computer. I have tried to figure out why
> I cant connect to something for hours before I realize that computer isnt
> trusted.
>
> Locke
>
> "Russ" <russstodieck@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>>I have shared out my WINXP computer printer on my home network. But, I an
>>unable to add or even see this computer on the home network from my WINME
>>computer. From the WINME computer I can see shared out directories on my
>>XP machine...just can't see the printer. I can, however, see the printer
>>from another XP computer on my home network. Any ideas?
>>
>> Russ

Anonymous
May 29, 2005 9:13:14 PM

WinME has lots of updates available from microsoft.com - these are NOT
regular automated updates - you have to search for them across their
web site. Networking is an issue with ME. MS has some fixes for the
issues you are having. Read through the information given for each
element to update - some need to be installed before another can
function to its fullest. Good Luck

--
FireDoc